Author Topic: Contact cleaner for cartridge connections  (Read 438 times)

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
Re: Contact cleaner for cartridge connections
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 07:33:25 PM »
Borrowed some Servisol from work, cleaned the RCA plugs on the TT with it, immediate improvement (hum almost gone at 3 times listening volume).  I'm pretty sure I have some of those interdental things and I certainly have a pencil with eraser (I still have a full set for tech drawings - my students eventually understand why  :EGrin:).  Also have a magic eraser and isoprop.  So on the weekend I'll take out the pre/phono stage and give the connections a once over (have cotton buds and swabs too), then see if I need to interdental the pin connectors and eraser/magic the pins.  Probably will anyway.
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Online Aqualung

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • It's all about the music, really...
    • Bokdrolletjies
Re: Contact cleaner for cartridge connections
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 09:29:02 AM »
More often than not I have found the problem to turntable "sound issues" to lie in those 4 little cartridge leads.
Badly fitting, badly soldered, dirty, fraying, moving and touching, broken, etc.
They are so small and finicky to make, and relatively expensive to buy, that one is often tempted to leave them/replace them as a last resort.
But getting them sorted is usually the right thing to do!  :thumbs:
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...