need new cart

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamboetie

AVForums Member
Reaction score
I have a Micro Seiki BL51 TT fitted with a modified Rega 300 tonearm [rewired with litz wire internally,underslung counterweight etc.] and an Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge that has roughly 100 to 150 hrs on it.This is driven by a Trichord Dino phono stage and then going through my SS stereo rig consisting of 2 Rega Maias biamped,a Promitheus TVC and B&W 685 speakers.
While I like certain areas of my vinyl playback,I am struggling with an overly sharp and harsh top end which is fatiguing and annoying :-[.I have adjusted the VTA with limited success.The cartridge also seems bass light.
I have a feeling that inherently 'analytical' cartridges such as mine do not partner well with solid [as opposed to sprung]turntables like the BL51 and maybe also the rigid Rega arm,causing upper frequency energy and resonance which is not effectively dissipated which,in turn,causes glare and harshness in the top end.
I am no expert and am looking for some advise on a suitable reasonably priced replacement.I have been thinking along the lines of the Denon DL103 [or 106] or Goldring 1042 or maybe even a ShureM97XE.
Any advise is appreciated.