Author Topic: Help needed polishing scratches out of plastic!  (Read 3151 times)

Online El Sid

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Help needed polishing scratches out of plastic!
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2017, 05:20:46 PM »
Like freshly polished car. Glass pane. Surface of liquid in a glass.

That's almost poetic!

We need more haikus on this forum....

Offline Lupo

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2017, 05:36:37 PM »
"Sound" advice!

Offline Lupo

• AVForums Member
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2017, 05:44:10 PM »
On a serious note (and really, no pun intended) that is what I will try.

Offline thenoizeguy

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2017, 06:12:44 PM »
If you want it to turn out as close to "new" as possible, you have to sand all the way up to 2000 grit before polishing.
You can still see the sanding marks in this photo:

Skipping grit steps will do exactly that - yield the visible sanding marks a few steps down the line.
2000 removes 1500 marks, 1500 removes the 1200 marks, 1200 removes the 1000, 1000 removes the 800, 800 ... etc.
If you are sanding-off the 360 marks with 800 grit ... huh... you either aren't, or you are working too hard with 800.
That's Mr Min overspray. Trust me , it is very smoooooth !...only marks are where the solder discoloured the plastic slightly which looks like it is all the way through.
As I mentioned earlier, you can go for perfection if you have a limited edition gold plated Oracle with a scratch, but an 80's plastic fantastic...this is good enough.
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Online fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2017, 07:00:04 PM »
... but an 80's plastic fantastic...this is good enough.
Oh, no objections to that at all! I was just re-iterating the best principles for the sake of the sticky.

I come across so deeply gauged lids that sanding it down flat would remove half the thickness of the material, so what does one do? Normally, I just spot-sand the area to ease the edges of the gauge, than flatten with the the rest, polish and call it day. For a second hand TT worth R800-R1200, one cannot expect as-new condition. Else, it would sell like that Takealot Marantz in "heads-up".  :facepalm: (R3.5K !!!!!!! would you flippin believe it...)
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline prajayn

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+17)
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2017, 09:58:13 AM »
Very cool

Offline prajayn

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+17)
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2017, 10:00:12 AM »
Need to do this item when I finally get it

Offline Skylark

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2017, 07:34:15 PM »
Once you have finished polishing this is one of the best plastic dressing/feeder/polishes I've ever come across, compares if not beats any other pricey professional stuff from Wurth/Meguairs/3M. Obviously also the answer for maintaining any plastic finish, and has the advantage of no silicone.

Shield SP8 Silicone Free Dressing, well under R100 for a 750ml bottle that lasts forever, available at most Midas branches etc.

Music is in the Mind

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2017, 09:44:07 PM »
Once you have finished polishing this is one of the best plastic dressing/feeder/polishes I've ever come across, compares if not beats any other pricey professional stuff from Wurth/Meguairs/3M. Obviously also the answer for maintaining any plastic finish, and has the advantage of no silicone.

Shield SP8 Silicone Free Dressing, well under R100 for a 750ml bottle that lasts forever, available at most Midas branches etc.

Actually not a bad product of them. Shield Detailing and Sp/professional products are good. They started with it about a year or two ago with this stuff. They step up there game with there products. I'm using there soft foam applicator pads when i'm doing waxing and there pads are cheaper then the Meg's ones. There Clay bars are really nice and do the same job then the other. They got a Shield DAS 6 Dual Action polisher and i see they have a brand new one out now to. Really nice toy to have for entry level detailing guy.   

You can use meguiars headlight protectant to for long lasting protection.
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2017, 10:01:52 PM »
...and the KD 40 R has most probably doubled in value ! :thumbs:

Sorry about the lack of pics, but it never really looked any different from pic 2 until the polish.

I got home at 4 15 pm and the lid was on the TT at 5pm, so quite a quick job if you have the right tools.
.......and yes...you only need to go from 1200 water paper to PlastX to get close to that original shine.

I'm sure more time could be spent to get as close to perfection as possible, but most damaged lids are on average to  :cr@p: Jap turntables so spending days on it, is just not worth it.

[/url

really nice work there thenoizeguy!!! Pop in by your local Auto panel paint shop and ask them for a Soft polishing foam pad, they usually black or red. The one that you have on your machine is white Very firm pad that you use for compounding. The softer pad will work softer on the plastic. ooo yes, never put your pad down on the ground like that. Sand particles end up in your pad and can cause a lot of marks in your work  ;) 

Offline Skylark

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2017, 10:48:44 PM »
I've tried a few of the Shield body shop range, all have been very good quality and bargain prices to boot.
Music is in the Mind

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2017, 09:07:40 AM »
So last night i decided to tackle the Pioneer Rondo 2000 cover. From my post, https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,63111.0.html . Cover was in bit of a bad condition to start with. Spots that look like burning spots and and nice scratch on the right hand side. So here some pics. This is not the final product, still need to flat it again by hand and soap water because the  orbital sander left some small sanding marks and my rubber sanding block is nowhere to found so need to buy one again today and some 1500 paper.

Sanding with 150 paper and after that 180

Sanding with 400 and then with 600 and 800 paper with water.

Sanding with 1200 and last with 2000 paper and water

Then i took the rotary buffer with a red soft pad and some Presta strata ultra cutting creme and some water on slow speed and work it slowly till the cutting cream disappear. Mind the crappy phone light photo, the cover was still dirty from inside of the buffing and i still need to flat the sides of the cover by hand. Will post some more pics after i finish it and will use some Mirror Speed glaze 80.

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2017, 10:00:07 PM »
And so i finish it off. Sand it down with hand and soap water and polish it again.

Polisher i use for detailing my car and Presta buffing compound. After this i washed the cover warm water and soap.

Polish the hinges. Warning!!  :tongue: some big bling!!!

Offline Lupo

• AVForums Member
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2017, 08:11:05 AM »
 :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: Gerlach. The "before" and "after" pics are worlds apart.

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2017, 01:59:50 PM »
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: Gerlach. The "before" and "after" pics are worlds apart.

Thanks!!!  :2thumbs: