Author Topic: Help needed polishing scratches out of plastic!  (Read 3150 times)

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Help needed polishing scratches out of plastic!
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2017, 07:32:31 AM »
Good place to go shop for polishing stuff is this guys. http://www.crazydetailer.co.za/ They got some nice stuff. I get some off my stuff from them for detailing my cars. Products that you guys can check at is Presta, Auto Glym, Meguiars polish auto body shop stuff that you can buy from auto panel paint shop or from crazy detailer, Turtle wax is back in SA and the Platinum stuff is really good and M3 products.

Stay away from Simoniz stuff. There stuff isn't same like 15years ago and it's crap. More water in there stuff then wax or polish.
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Offline Skylark

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2017, 02:00:17 PM »
I tried the Simoniz bug and tar remover - works as well as water with colourant in it, useless!!
Music is in the Mind

Offline Ampdog

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2017, 04:44:02 AM »
Excellent thread!

May I suggest making this a sticky please?
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline thenoizeguy

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2017, 10:39:01 AM »
Yes. Keep it going. This thread has encouraged me to take the worst lid I could find ( it even has soldering iron burns ) and see how much it can be improved.
I will be taking pics at each step and post my result next week sometime.

Lets all do a lid project our own way and see what we end up with. :thumbs:
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2017, 12:42:11 PM »
Moved to DIY, where it is a sticky.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline thenoizeguy

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2017, 09:52:31 PM »
As promised, I took my worst lid which has deep scratches and even deeper solder burns.
This is it before any work had been done.
[/url
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline thenoizeguy

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2017, 09:59:30 PM »
I cut a piece of 100 sandpaper to size to fit my Bosch orbital sander, and ground it down evenly until the deepest scratch had disappeared.
It is imperative to sand as evenly as possible and not concentrate on the bad bits otherwise you will end up with a wonky top.

This is after the 100 sand which took about 3 or 4 minutes.

[/url

Offline thenoizeguy

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2017, 10:12:00 PM »
Next up was 360 paper this time with water, and it took about a minute or 2 to smooth out the rough 100 sand.

This was followed by 800 with water and finally 1200.

All these sand/water papers were cut to size for my orbital sander.

I did absolutely no hand sanding or polishing.

The final step was with a foam polisher and PlastX and rinsed off under the tap.

A quick spray and wipe with Mr Min and you're done.

[/url

Offline thenoizeguy

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2017, 10:14:18 PM »
Tools used
[/url

Offline thenoizeguy

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2017, 10:39:52 PM »
...and the KD 40 R has most probably doubled in value ! :thumbs:

Sorry about the lack of pics, but it never really looked any different from pic 2 until the polish.

I got home at 4 15 pm and the lid was on the TT at 5pm, so quite a quick job if you have the right tools.
.......and yes...you only need to go from 1200 water paper to PlastX to get close to that original shine.

I'm sure more time could be spent to get as close to perfection as possible, but most damaged lids are on average to  :cr@p: Jap turntables so spending days on it, is just not worth it.

[/url
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 10:48:57 PM by thenoizeguy »

Offline Skylark

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2017, 11:42:14 PM »
That's impressive!

100/360/800/1200, quite big leaps between grits and still such a great finish.
But the essential ingredient is the rotary polisher/foam pad/Plastx, doing that step by hand would be a huge pita and not as effective.

Have you ever tried Plastx on paint, be interested to know how well it works there?
Music is in the Mind

Offline thenoizeguy

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2017, 01:06:39 PM »
Plastic is soft so it sands easily. I only went with the 100 because of the solder burns. It only takes a minute or 2 to sand away the previous rougher grit.
I haven't tried it on paint.

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2017, 01:22:59 PM »
If you want it to turn out as close to "new" as possible, you have to sand all the way up to 2000 grit before polishing.
You can still see the sanding marks in this photo:

Skipping grit steps will do exactly that - yield the visible sanding marks a few steps down the line.
2000 removes 1500 marks, 1500 removes the 1200 marks, 1200 removes the 1000, 1000 removes the 800, 800 ... etc.
If you are sanding-off the 360 marks with 800 grit ... huh... you either aren't, or you are working too hard with 800.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Lupo

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2017, 01:51:03 PM »
If you want it to turn out as close to "new" as possible, you have to sand all the way up to 2000 grit before polishing.

Will that also get rid of the circular "spiderweb-like" surface scratches that is only visible when the light hits the surface at a certain angle?

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2017, 04:51:17 PM »
If you start from the grit that matches the depth of scratches and follow all grit steps up to 2000, polish with fine paste (I use what panelbeatrs use every day) after that, there will no abrasions of any kind on the polished surface. Like freshly polished car. Glass pane. Surface of liquid in a glass.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis