Author Topic: Help needed polishing scratches out of plastic!  (Read 9039 times)

Offline Lupo

Re: Help needed polishing scratches out of plastic!
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 09:40:13 AM »
Hi guys.

Please consider taking photographs (where possible) of the scratches/damage before commencing repairs and post please.  Before and after shots with method and product(s) employed will be helpful to a lot of us with similar problems.

The OLED touch screen on my B&W PV1D sub has fine spider web scratches from cleaning, only recently noticed it. I can kick myself for not fitting a screen protector! Please no volunteers with the kicking part as it wasn't me cleaning.  I also have a Marantz learning remote with screen damage, the screen got scratched by carrying two remotes in one hand, totally my fault :(  Would like to repair it but concerned that I will do more harm.  Hopefully the scratches will be visible when photographed.

So please let us know about your diy efforts and results.

Best of luck!

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 10:03:09 AM »
You will never polish out a very deep scratch in plastics.. for clear or smoked acrylic you can put vaseline on the scratch which fills it and then emulates the refractiveness of the plastic to minimise it

Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline Tzs503gp

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • HiFi- trust your ears- eyes lie
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 08:27:57 PM »
Thanks for all the tips. Which one exactly, they make a huge range?

I checked their website after I posted yesterday, and didn't see the product I use. I've added a pic of the paste I bought from Northern Bolt:

Nope, I seem unable to post a pic by selecting the attachments button on my iPhone. Sorry mate, I'll try to figure it out and post the pic later.

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 08:18:46 PM »
You will never polish out a very deep scratch in plastics.. for clear or smoked acrylic you can put vaseline on the scratch which fills it and then emulates the refractiveness of the plastic to minimise it

Nice tip, I have a definitively unpolishable TT cover which I'll have a go on (it also has two holes drilled in it but I have a nice sticker over them...
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Skylark

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 09:35:41 AM »
I'm going to try some Meguairs Plastx, generally gets very good reviews and as it turns out my headlights could do with some polishing so I can kill 2 birds with one stone.

Intersting product the polishing beads resize the more you polish, starts off relatively aggressive and then becomes finer as it's used, that's per application of the polish.

It's R171 on Takealot or around 199 at Game/Builders/Midas, though not all the branches carry it.
Music is in the Mind

Offline skollie

• AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 04:05:59 PM »
Even mild or moderate scratches or scuff marks will never polish out as said. Even if you go the 'whole hog' and start samding by hand using a rubber sanding block with preferably 3M water paper, sanded wet - is a horrible and long job.

Depending on the depth of scratches, start with say 800 grit or even 600 grit always wetting the sanding media often and then work upwards through waterpaper grades eg from 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 right up to 2000grit.

There is no shortcut or 'magic bullet' for this tedious job.

I have a Shield brand rotating and vibrating electric sanding machine with a soft sheepskin mop. Even with this equipment, it stays a difficult job as the polisher flings the sanding media all over the place so wear old clothes and work outside. Rinse the job frequently with clean water to follow what you are doing.

After you have gone through the water paper and hand sanding routine, the much better product is Sonax made in Germany which used to be sold by Tonnesens/Midas Claremont. I also tried Meguiar's PlastX which I consider not worth wasting money on.

Much cheaper and for a quicker job, you can also use various grades of polishing compounds available from auto paint suppliers.

I've also had good results using Chromglanz polishing compounds FOR METAL for faster results, finishing off with Sonax.

skollie
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline Skylark

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 09:08:58 PM »
Thanks for the in depth breakdown Skollie, what have you found is not great about Plastx?
Seems to get glowing reviews when used to remove haze/oxidation from Polycarbonate headlight lenses
Music is in the Mind

Offline skollie

• AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2017, 10:44:01 AM »
PastX may work OK on polycabonite headlamp lenses (I never tried it) but its polishing effect even using my Shield buffing machine was minimal. I first came across Sonax which is used extensively by mobile dent removers and then went looking for the stuff and found Tonnesens/Midas had a few bottles in stock. I also bought a bottle of an earlier Sonax packaging in a white bottle at the Milnerton flea market. The current bottle is red and I thing the importer is in Jhb. Pleanty references of the stuuf on the www.

skollie
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2017, 11:03:17 AM »
Also try Autosol
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline dogears

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2017, 03:27:00 PM »
Another brand I have had success on marine paints, Lexan, etc. is the Farecla range of polishes/buffing compounds which you may find locally at auto body repair dealers.  G3, G4 etc.  Use after wet sanding to 2000 grit.

Offline Skylark

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2017, 06:47:48 PM »
I ordered Plastx at the beginning of the week and it arrived today, it's amazing!

Well that's on polycarbonate headlight lenses, pretty sure it'll work on other plastics as well.

Turned 2 car headlights from cloudy and yellowing to almost crystal clear in 30mins, that's using a foam pad on a small 65mm electric rotary polisher. In the past I tried a variety of commercial paint polishes and also Meguairs Ultimate(which I've had great success with on paint) none of which did much good.

Amazed, looking forward to trying this on other plastics, don't have anything to test on at the moment though.
Music is in the Mind

Offline Skylark

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2017, 06:50:14 PM »
Skollie which Sonax polish is it exactly that you recommend?

They have quite a big range, I use their liquid spray wax which is reasonably priced and good quality.
Music is in the Mind

Offline thenoizeguy

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2017, 08:50:49 PM »
My Luxman TT in the for sale section was polished with Plastix on a foam sponge drill attachment at medium speed and then buffed with lambswool.

The stuff works for me, but some lids come out better than others.
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline Lupo

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2017, 09:09:56 PM »
My Luxman TT in the for sale section was polished with Plastix...

The cover looks as good as new! Any spiderweb scratches up close?

Offline thenoizeguy

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2017, 09:58:40 PM »
The cover looks as good as new! Any spiderweb scratches up close?

It's certainly not perfect and I didn't even attempt to tackle the deep scratches, but it looks great overall rather than having big dull spots if I had tried to get the big ones out and permanently damaged it.

A squirt of Mr Min and a wipe improve things further.
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.