Author Topic: Mytek Brooklyn MQA capable DAC  (Read 430 times)

Offline irengineer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
    • An IT guy's view on the world
Mytek Brooklyn MQA capable DAC
« on: February 20, 2017, 08:13:58 AM »
Anyone brought one of these in, maybe running it with Roon/Tidal? Impressions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline irengineer

• AVForums Veteran
Re: Mytek Brooklyn MQA capable DAC
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 09:07:27 PM »
Seeing as how I heard crickets in this post, I decided to pull the trigger and ordered a Mytek Brooklyn DAC with an optional linear power supply. Going to run it using Roon and Tidal. Will now get to hear first hand what MQA is all about in terms of music stream quality. It should be a great DAC anyways, based on very positive reviews, plus I'll get to try the onboard phonostage too.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+29)
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 09:10:00 PM »
Look forward to hearing your impressions.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline irengineer

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 09:20:02 PM »
Must admit, I am giddy. Maybe you should have your passport stamped and head through to Centurion once I have everything running :-)

Offline IvMan

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 09:30:58 PM »
Congrats. Would love to give it a listen when you are up and running

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 09:35:41 PM »
Must admit, I am giddy. Maybe you should have your passport stamped and head through to Centurion once I have everything running :-)
my visa's current ... was recently there for canned listening.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Offline irengineer

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 09:37:44 PM »
I'll let everyone know once it runs and get guys round for a listen and a beer.  :dop:

Offline irengineer

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 03:10:33 PM »
The Brooklyn DAC is here! Installed it on Friday and it sounds amazing. Playing MQA (the famous blue light) perfectly via Tidal Masters. Tried a few features already. Installed a Jitterbug between the DAC and PC's USB, seems to work great. Have my Rotel DVD/CD player working via Toslink, my Rega Planar 3 turntable is hooked in on the analogue input, set to MM Phono, and of course USB. I own some DSD256 files, along with 384KHz FLAC files. Decodes with no drama and plays it all beautifully. The longer it is turned on, the better it sounds. Negative is the small display with the supplied Apple remote. You cannot really sit a distance away and see what is what. Only tried the digital volume control.

Amazingly transparent DAC. If you feed it crap, it sounds crap. Give it quality material and it shines.

Works great with Roon, glad I picked up the membership. I can easily see someone us this as a DAC/preamp, connecting digital sources like a CD player and PC, along with a turntable. The DAC then drives a power amp. In fact, I might have to loan a power amp to try that...

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 03:15:23 PM »
Pics?

Offline adie

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 04:15:14 PM »
Price?
Only ever heard good things about these DACs.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 04:19:53 PM by adie »

Offline irengineer

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 10:05:21 PM »
I'll post pics in the morning. Paid around USD 2100 including a Long Dog Audio linear power supply. Still waiting for the PSU to arrive with some other goodies.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline irengineer

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 06:36:57 PM »
Here's some pics of the Brooklyn DAC in my rack.

MQA light on as I am listening to a Tidal Master album by Gary Clark Jnr.

With the supplied Apple remote.

Quite a small unit.

Offline adie

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 06:50:36 PM »
Prepared to raise your head above the parapet re MQA and how it sounds, since you seem to be the only one on the forum with an MQA enabled DAC?
And DSD vs the rest?
I ask since you are clearly a "vinylist" too, so not leaning loonily either way (I hope). ;)

My mate, like Rodney, thinks unfolded MQA is better than bog standard FLAC. He doesn't use anything like JRiver however.

I wonder if Gary Clark is related to WC Clark, the "Godfather of Austin Blues".
I'd be interested to know what difference the PS makes.

Offline irengineer

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 09:51:39 PM »
I was wondering when this topic would rear its head lol.

Ok, let me start by saying that my DAC experience, in terms of devices owned is limited to a Raspberry 3 with PiDAC+, DragonFly 1.2, Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus Edition, Auralic Aries Mini and now the Brooklyn.

I'd rate them in sequence as PiDAC+, Maverick, DragonFly, Auralic and then Brooklyn. I'll dismiss the first three and focus on the Auralic and Brooklyn as they are both DSD256 capable and my system has not changed at all between the two DAC's. This means Valve Audio Exclame 100 amp driving Tannoy Saturn S10's.

The Auralic could get a bit strident or shrill with some music files, notably Apple iTunes files. It was easy to distinguish between iTunes AAC (of which I have a lot), MP3 320 kbps (I have a little, mostly from downloads that came with back-to-black vinyl editions), FLAC and DSD. The low end AAC and MP3 files worked, but it was clearly low bitrate stuff with unrealistic sounding bass (drums in particular) and strident highs. FLAC from CD quality 16/44 and higher sounded way better. Big difference noticeable when moving to 24/48 or 24/96 FLAC. Everything sounded more realistic with a fuller and more defined sound. I battled to hear a solid difference between 24/96 and 24/192 on the Auralic. Stepping up to a Ken Greeninger/Dayan Kai recording in 24/384 was spectacular, with huge dynamic swings and superbly defined strings and voices. I have the same recording on DSD64, and to me the DSD64 sounded a bit more "rounded". I do admit that switching between them blind, you'd really have to focus to find the differences, but the slightly strident nature remained, most likely the voicing on the Auralic. I bought the "SPES" record on the L2 label in DSD256 format. 9.6GB file size for a single album! But, it is jaw dropping in sound quality. I don't yet have anything else in DSD256 to compare too. I do have some soprano music performed by Tone Wik in a few versions, with the DSD versions sounding amazing.

Now, I have only had the Brooklyn for 3 days, but the difference to the Auralic is stark. First you notice the freaking low noise floor. It is dead quiet. Then, the output is very healthy, I had to use the digital attenuator to drop the level down, to give me a usably fine range of volume adjustment on the Exclame. It has huge gain, a bonus for guys using it as a preamp. Running through the same material, the Brooklyn is brutal with low res files. Crap in, crap out. By the same token, it rewards quality recordings delivering the most musical digital experience I have yet had at home. To me, given the limited time I had it, DSD does sound better than FLAC. But, I need more time with it, as the FLAC files does sound great and I have not yet had a change to listen to my 24/96 FLAC of Mark Knopfler's "Privateering" which a superb recording.

The biggest surprise is MQA, but let me qualify that a bit. Comparing Spotify and Tidal is easy on my system, Tidal is clearly a step beyond subscription based Spotify. HiFi Tidal is a great streaming format, but MQA is even better. From my perspective, MQA allows superior sound on streaming, I was amazed at how good music streamed live from the Internet can sound. I'll say this, I wish Tidal adds more MQA format records soon, as it does sound great.

I have loads of listening tests ahead, for now I am enjoying getting to know the Brooklyn. It is the best DAC I have owned, sounding fantastic right out of the box. Next change would be dumping the internal switch mode PSU, connecting the Long Dog linear PSU when it arrives.

Tonight I hooked up the Fidelity Systems step-up transformer (designed and built by our own FDLSYS) to the analogue input, configured as a Moving Magnet phono input. It can be set to line input, MM or MC phono. What a surprise! It sounded fantastic, with again a super low noise floor. It tried both my Denon DL103R and ZYX Bloom 3 cartridge/arm combinations.

It is turning out to be a really useful, great sounding device. My offer stands, if you are able to get to Centurion, come and have a listen. I don't have the best system around, but I have good quality components.

Offline irengineer

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 04:47:13 PM »
Just found some L2 record label recordings on Tidal Masters, unfolded at 24 Bit 352.8 KHz. Wild!