Author Topic: Help needed to treat a room  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Alastair

Help needed to treat a room
« on: February 19, 2017, 06:05:57 PM »
Hi all

I am fortunate enough to have a dedicated theatre room (my wife allowed me to convert a lounge we didnt know what to do with).  It is however a concrete block (cement floor and slab roof) so its as bad as a room gets I think from an acoustic point of view.  I was fortunate enough to pick up some absorption panels to treat the first reflections and then a couple of other spots.  I think I need some bass traps but actually don't know what to do next.  Is there someone out there prepared to come and check it out and give me some advice as to what the next couple of changes are that need to be made?  I know the room needs treatment but I don't know what.  I live in Centurion just off the Samrand offramp.  Please pm me if you are able to assist me.

Alastair

Offline Kruger.vdMerwe

Re: Help needed to treat a room
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 03:27:54 AM »
Hi all

I am fortunate enough to have a dedicated theatre room (my wife allowed me to convert a lounge we didnt know what to do with).  It is however a concrete block (cement floor and slab roof) so its as bad as a room gets I think from an acoustic point of view.  I was fortunate enough to pick up some absorption panels to treat the first reflections and then a couple of other spots.  I think I need some bass traps but actually don't know what to do next.  Is there someone out there prepared to come and check it out and give me some advice as to what the next couple of changes are that need to be made?  I know the room needs treatment but I don't know what.  I live in Centurion just off the Samrand offramp.  Please pm me if you are able to assist me.

Alastair
Hi Allister,
Contact Alec of true sound acoustics, he is a real nice guy and will be able to help you..

Offline PAPPA3

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • Nakamichi Banana Plugs On Order. Spades in Stock
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 06:46:49 AM »
Post a pic or two of the room, including dimensions, and peeps can offer ideas

Kruger, why not post a few pics of your room's treatment.  Your setup sounds awesome.  Best sound in a room I ever heard

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 07:03:37 AM »
All rooms benefit from floor to ceiling bass traps in all corners and absorption panels at first reflection points on side as well as front and back walls.  No need to measure before having done that.

If your room is large enough I could be convinced to let go of my chunk traps and absorption panels.  It'd just accelerate my packing up everything to get out of dodge.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 07:38:22 AM »
Post up some details of the room as is, best with pictures. There are numerous options and it's best one treat for the main use of the room. If it's a dedicated home theatre one typically aims for a fairly dead acoustic whereas if it's a stereo room one looks for a more live acoustic. The latter is a more sociable room as well. Whatever goals are sought, it's best to seek balance in the decay across frequencies by identifying frequency ranges to be addressed and choosing the appropriate treatment and to address first reflections effectively.

Offline Kruger.vdMerwe

Help needed to treat a room
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 03:22:20 AM »
Post a pic or two of the room, including dimensions, and peeps can offer ideas

Kruger, why not post a few pics of your room's treatment.  Your setup sounds awesome.  Best sound in a room I ever heard

Here is the link to the thread Pappa3 referred to.. thank you for the compliment Brett!

https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php?topic=60256.msg745423#msg745423
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 03:38:18 AM by Kruger.vdMerwe »

Offline Alastair

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 07:25:47 PM »
Hi guys

Timber has kindly offered to assist me, which Im definitely going to take him up on.  I have just bought and installed those bass traps Rotten Johnny was selling so hoefully I'm a bit closer to the desired end result.  I'll post some pics and questions once Timber has me at least asking the right questions.

Alastair

Offline Alastair

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 10:14:03 AM »
Hi all

A big thanks to Timber who was kind enough to host me on Saturday and give me some pointers.  Once I've managed to run the software I will post the results and then hopefully I will start making some progress and at least be able to start asking intelligent questions.

alastair

Offline Ricketysmurf

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 10:51:44 PM »
Hi all

A big thanks to Timber who was kind enough to host me on Saturday and give me some pointers.  Once I've managed to run the software I will post the results and then hopefully I will start making some progress and at least be able to start asking intelligent questions.

alastair

Advice from Timber is one of the best moves you can make.

The only problem I had with him was to get him to accept money for his sterling input and effort.....
Audio Note
   Music's Finest Conductor

Offline Mars67

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 05:55:37 AM »
Hi Alastair

What happened to the pics and results?