Author Topic: Shure M95ed Cartridge Alternatives  (Read 481 times)

Offline DC

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Member
Shure M95ed Cartridge Alternatives
« on: February 16, 2017, 10:19:40 PM »
I've just acquired a Technics SL 1300 fitted with a Shure M95ed cartridge. Everything works well but I suspect the cartridge is past its best. Any recommendations as to a high performance-reasonable cost replacement cartridge? AT95e (although the output is lower)?

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
Re: Shure M95ed Cartridge Alternatives
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 10:24:02 PM »
Depends on how much you are prepared to spend. But yes, at95e is a good alternative.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline fredeb

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Offline Aqualung

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • It's all about the music, really...
    • Bokdrolletjies
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 09:29:55 AM »
I'd just acquire new stylus , would probably have to be aftermarket equivalent .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nadel-fur-Shure-N-M-95-ED-EJ-M95ED-M95EDM-NEU-/260300042653?hash=item3c9b17719d:g:EGAAAOSwDNdVmmYF

I agree. I have bought that stylus from Thakker before, and was very happy with it, for that price.  :thumbs: And isn't Scott in the UK, and taking orders, right now?
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline skollie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 10:10:25 AM »
I've just acquired a Technics SL 1300 fitted with a Shure M95ed cartridge. Everything works well but I suspect the cartridge is past its best. Any recommendations as to a high performance-reasonable cost replacement cartridge? AT95e (although the output is lower)?

If you make me a reasonable offer of a whisker below R4K for the Nagatron, you will have a very special and rare cartridge. See here https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,61919.msg762971.html#msg762971

skollie
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx