Very welcome additional subject

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kubusi

AVForums Member
Reaction score
So nice to see this category opened up, when I joined the forum last year I noted there was a dearth in anything relating to recording. My interest in sound recording predates my knowledge that tape recording even existed.

Saw a wire recorder belonging to a friends father when I was about 10 years old and was hooked, just had to have one for myself and asked around and managed to locate a brand new Webcor deck (mechanicals only), circuit diagram of recommended amplifier and bias oscillator coil, then set about building up the record/playback amplifier from parts salvaged from a couple of scrapped radios.
The recommended valve lineup was a 6J7, 6J5, 6V6 and 5Y3 rectifier, I used a type 80 rectifier instead, I changed the circuit slightly to avoid complicated switching, because the 6V6 was used as the bias oscillator when recording and audio output on playback, which is common practice with tape recorders anyway, I  used separate 6V6 valves for each operation, much simpler.
Had lots of fun recording LM Radio with a crystal mike placed in front of the radio speaker.

Recently dug out a old Webcor wire recorder and would like to get it going again and placed a looking for advert on the forum for spools of steel recording wire to no avail

Over the years have built up a collection of Reel 2 Reel and cassette recorders, but nothing like what has been shown on this site to date.  All I can say is WOW and FANTASTIC items shown, hope to see more of them to drool over.

Latest posts