Author Topic: NuPrime uDSD as USB to coax converter  (Read 272 times)

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
NuPrime uDSD as USB to coax converter
« on: February 14, 2017, 07:27:13 AM »
I'm keen to experiment with the uDSD as a USB to coax converter and was wondering whether anyone has tried this powering the uDSD independently of the USB source? I recall reading here that used as a DAC a clean power supply made for an appreciable  improvement. Is it likely to do the same used as a converter only?
♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ Cables, Interconnects & Other Stuff - The Truth.

We can tune in the 23W transmitter from the Voyager probes that are 5.8 billion miles away but audio remains a mystery. :roll:

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: NuPrime uDSD as USB to coax converter
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 08:30:58 AM »
I'm keen to experiment with the uDSD as a USB to coax converter and was wondering whether anyone has tried this powering the uDSD independently of the USB source? I recall reading here that used as a DAC a clean power supply made for an appreciable  improvement. Is it likely to do the same used as a converter only?

Chat to Hi-Phibian, he did something like that a while back. He can also make you an adapter to power the USB bus of a different power source if you want to experiment with PSUs.

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 09:05:20 AM »
I've done this ... not as neat as Hi-Phib's but works just fine.  I took a normal USB cable and cut the power conductors about 100mm from USB B plug.  On reconnecrtion remember you need a common ground from computer to power supply uDSD.  Test and retest connections ... blown USB ports can be costly.  The improvements when running from a USB charger or (better still) power bank are noticebale and significant.  Very similar to the improvements of a decrapifier like AG Jitterbug ... blacker background, cleaner transients, improved detail and staging, sweeter tops, firmer bass.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 09:59:54 AM »
The improvements when running from a USB charger or (better still) power bank are noticebale and significant.  Very similar to the improvements of a decrapifier like AG Jitterbug ... blacker background, cleaner transients, improved detail and staging, sweeter tops, firmer bass.
Was this using it as DAC or USB to coax converter?

I have a very, very good linear PSU coming soon that takes the USB input from source and cuts the power, passing through data only along with a power feed from the power supply.  No need for cable splicing - just use one cable as input and another as output.

We can tune in the 23W transmitter from the Voyager probes that are 5.8 billion miles away but audio remains a mystery. :roll:

Offline scrarfussi

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Quantum In Me Fuit
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 10:01:42 AM »
I'm using it with the wyrd as usb to coax
Works brilliant
suum cuique pulchrum est

"I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

Offline Wolvebain

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 10:11:48 AM »
I'm using it with the wyrd as usb to coax
Works brilliant
My Wyrd only has USB out, no COAX.. or am i really misunderstanding the post..

::EDIT::
Ahh.. "IT" as the NuPrime as the Coax converter.. okay, I understand now :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:13:58 AM by Wolvebain »
Why stand on a silent platform?
Fight the war...

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 10:21:18 AM »
Last night I had the Yggy hooked up two ways:

(a) Roon > ODROID-C2 > USB > Wyrd > USB > Yggy  (this has been my default setup since I've had the Yggy)
(b) Roon > ODROID-C2 > uDSD > coax > Yggy

Unfortunately switching between inputs on the Yggy cannot be done via remote, but I listened via (a) for some time and then much later switched to (b).  B sounded great, but by that time I'd poured and consumed about 5cm from a bottle of Jack, so I'm not sure if it was the Jack or the input that had me rocking :be:

Offline Wolvebain

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 10:24:17 AM »
Perhaps try (c) as scrarfussi indicated:
Roon > ODROID-C2[USB] > [USB]Wyrd[USB]  > [USB]uDSD [COAX] > [COAX]Yggy
Why stand on a silent platform?
Fight the war...

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 10:31:52 AM »
Perhaps try (c) as scrarfussi indicated:
Roon > ODROID-C2[USB] > [USB]Wyrd[USB]  > [USB]uDSD [COAX] > [COAX]Yggy
That's the (b) I described above.  Tried it last night.

Online naughty

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 12:04:41 PM »
i have never tried it as a coax source BUT when using the uDSD as a DAC i have Hi-Phibs cable .... and it does sound different for both methods .... im not sure which way i like more ie with or without the extra power

without the additional cable in place the soundstage is wider past the speakers and more open inbetween the speakers but tonally it is a wee bit thinner

with the additional cable in place it does make the soundstage narrower and less open but tonally the sound gets a little richer and fuller with slightly less precise imaging but otherwise just as much detail to each note  .... so i have to ultimately decide if i prefer the wider soundstage or the fuller tonality and connect or disconnect accordingly .... but i have only been using the cable for around three weeks - so i still need to use it for a while longer before i decide on my preference

not sure if its going to be the same situation as above when used as a USB to coax convertor but thats what i found when using the uDSD as my main system DAC .... as a matter of interest its a pretty similar situation with headphones too but with the headphones i would definitely use the extra USB power for sure since theres hardly much width there anyway and the tonality is far more important
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:18:24 PM by naughty »

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 12:09:44 PM »
Was this using it as DAC or USB to coax converter?

I'm sure this is beyond the realm of scientific measurement, but those 1's stand straighter and those 0's are rounder ... or something to that effect.  But yes similar improvements as when using as a DAC.  Maybe not as pronounced but still there ... 

PS: Postcount 1000!
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Phase

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 12:10:28 PM »
That's the (b) I described above.  Tried it last night.

Jack(b) :2thumbs: sorted.

Online itscraig

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 12:44:32 PM »
i think because you cannot change the inputs you should get another Yggy

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 01:08:33 PM »
i think because you cannot change the inputs you should get another Yggy

Now that sounds like a plan... :Ooooooh:

Offline Nidri

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Don't panic.
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 08:46:56 PM »
Even without external power my uDSD works really well with my Ayon CD/DAC.
(Easily better than the relatively basic 16/48 USB implementation on the DAC itself.)
That said, I was curious about the next-gen XMOS chipsets (U208/U216).
So I have a Singxer F-1 on the way, thanks to Scott.
(https://kitsunehifi.com/product/singxer-f1-digital-interface-board/)
Will report back once it's here.
The SU-1 with built-in Linear PSU is supposed to be even better.
(https://kitsunehifi.com/product/singxersu1black/#comment-981)
The DXIO PRO3Z is another interesting option since it has selectable external power input.
(http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/111-xmos-192khz-high-quality-usb-to-spdif-with-ultralow-noise-1uv-regulator-wmanual-power-switch.html)
I almost went for this model but the Singxer just seemed a bit better specced (Crystek clocks, etc.)