There's Hi-Fi, then there's...

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Now Playing

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I've heard a fair share of bloody good Hi-Fi over the years, but on Monday I think my idea of what can be achieved was permanently changed. I popped in at Achim's newly opened loft in town and experienced something out of the ordinary.  Enter the Avantgarde Trios...I'm not generally a fan of horns as I've typically found them shouty, point source and fatiguing, and having heard the Duos I was to some extent expecting more of the same. Boy was I in for a surprise.

These horns were not at all shouty, and they were that good they completely redefined my perspective of what is possible.  I've never before heard something so effortless and visceral... short of a live performance I've never experienced anything like and it's not an 'in your face' experience. It seems they're equally comfortable playing rock or classical and they're great with vocals. They're bloody quick and the bass is just there, completely effortless, I've never felt a room so energised before and the entire presentation is completely natural sounding.

To be sure I could live with them I'd have to go have another extended listen with music I'm more familiar with, and ideally live with them for a week or so to ensure they don't become overwhelming. But as things stand my perspective has been shifted, this is simply on another level. This was the first time ever, I could've sworn the performance was taking place in the same room, it was that palpable.

A27CF967-AF1D-46AB-A876-FC0BC1495D83_zpslbvhiy5r.jpg

57751AB5-219D-4ADE-9B26-85FAAAB8D850_zpsdbpmbusj.jpg

EC28FC79-8220-4F91-BAE9-00BEB3866BF7_zpshg2eeeu8.jpg

EF403CB8-619E-4353-9A1A-93C549D48CA7_zps7ep2okuq.jpg

Latest posts