Author Topic: My first headphones.. ok choice? And do I need an amp?  (Read 616 times)

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
Re: My first headphones.. ok choice? And do I need an amp?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 11:27:36 AM »
To be fair the HD600 and DT880 are pitched at a very different market segment. For starters they are open backed. Secondly high impedance so mobile devices typically need not apply.  The AKG sounds like great value ... kamikazi's ears are properly tuned and on his impressions alone I possibly may get a pair as well. M50+ for sane money sounds like a really good deal.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: As it compares to other reference headphones
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 04:27:35 PM »
I'm curious to know how these compare to the Sennheiser HD600's or the Beyerdynamic DT880's. Reason is, I'm looking to buy a reference pair but am reluctant to spend money on something that I don't know what it sounds like.

I think if you like HD600 I think you will like these. Mids are a bit thicker and more forward sounding and Audio-Technica is quite different from Sennheiser in the treble department which I think would be the main thing to get used to. These imo strike the same good balance as the HD600 does between bass, mids and treble. I've been burning these in over the weekend and I remain impressed by them, this is definitely the type of closed headphone I've been looking for.

Offline Cuco

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 09:00:10 AM »
The MSR7 is back on special again at Takealot R2399. I owned a HD600 and and DT880. I have M70x, but tried out M50 and M40's. As Scubadude mentioned, the major difference is obviously, the Audiotechnica's as discussed here are closed back, the HD600 is open back, the DT880 is semi-closed (it's open, not sure why they call it semi closed). The HD 600 I think has an imdedance of 300 ohm, the DT880 in SA is usually 250 ohm, the MSR7 is 35 ohms. Only the MSR7 is really suitable for portable devices. The main thing to remember is that the aim is to listen to Music, not compare sound.
GAS and OCD

Offline itscraig

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2017, 09:24:10 AM »
The main thing to remember is that the aim is to listen to Music, not compare sound.

while this is true without comparing the different headsets you will not know what the differences may be. everyone has a particular taste and the more information available the easier the choice becomes in choosing the headset you want.
Or you can just become like some of the guys here and collect as many cans and amps as you can, then you have a different sound for each type of music and mood.