Author Topic: My first headphones.. ok choice? And do I need an amp?  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Gifted

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
My first headphones.. ok choice? And do I need an amp?
« on: February 07, 2017, 11:09:52 PM »
Im new here so really know nothing at all tbh.... was looking today to buy some reasonable headphones... my first real pair to replace some crappy beats studios which to be honest was a mistake impulse buy at an airport a couple of years back. My headphone knowledge is very limited. Never used headphones much as I've always liked listening to music on my speakers... I have a reasonable Denon amp with B&W 600 series speakers and some nice acoustic energy speakers hooked up to my pc.

Anyway...
Stumbled across these today on takealot: http://www.takealot.com/audio-technica-high-fidelity-portable-headphones-black/PLID41469611

I checked up the ath-msr7's and the reviews are rather promising and the price seemed crazy cheap to me... so I took the plunge. Looking forward to getting them tomorrow. Wondering now if I need a headphone dac/amp to match? Or will these sound ok on an iPhone when traveling?

Again with no knowldege of headphone amps and just looking at reviews the fiio stuff seemed promising for the price.. can't find the q1 for sale here anywhere.

Thanks for any advice

Offline Cuco

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Member
Re: My first headphones.. ok choice? And do I need an amp?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 01:06:15 PM »
ATH MSR7's are great headphones. They will be fine out of your iphone. If you want to improve the sound a bit loo at the Dragonfly Black or Red.

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 04:12:42 PM »
Should be driven just fine out of your phone, they are quite efficient, very nice buy. I'm also thinking of getting a pair, thanks for the heads up!

Offline Gifted

• AVForums Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 05:10:31 PM »
They arrived this morning... ive been listening to them most of the afternoon.

Obviously I have limited experience with headphones but I'm unbelievably impressed I must say. The build quality is sooooo many leagues ahead of the Beats Studio's and my steelseries Siberia 800's on the PC its unreal, and finally headphones that sound like my hifi equipment. The Beats sound like your listening through a pillow in comparison with their stupid high bass and muffled highs. Not to mention super comfortable.

R2399!... best bargain ive had in a long time... think I Could sell them for more than that second hand on ebay in the UK! Clearly just warehouse clearance as the box was super dusty, so they have been sat on a shelf for a while I guess.

Picking up a Fiio Q1 from a member on here.... mostly so I can have the volume control and powered speakers all connected to my PC... your right about not needing more volume though.. perfectly loud enough on the iPhone. Maybe the dac/amp will sound better as well anyway as I'm currently only running on my motherboard ALC 1150 dac.

Happy Camper :D

Offline itscraig

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 05:19:59 PM »
enjoy them, and be careful of the headfi bug.
it bites hard.

Offline dragonmts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 05:45:36 PM »
Amen Craig!!
Head-Fi addict!

Offline Gifted

• AVForums Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 06:24:18 PM »
Yea I'm already looking at all sorts of audio gear now...!!! this could be bad...

Last year I thought... lets build a decent PC... started simple, but now I'm sat infront of a mega full custom water loop pc with 1080's in sli, 40" 4k monitor and 16TB disk array!

MUST CONTROL MYSELF!!..

Offline kamikazi

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 08:54:06 PM »
Yeah, I am pretty sure they are being cleared as only the noise cancelling model is still readily available from retailers and I think the Pro audio stores prefer the M50X which is more well known. Glad there are still a couple left in the country, they are much more expensive overseas. When I first looked at closed headphones these were top of my list but I decided to go with in ears, but headphones work better at work as people can easily see that you don't want to be disturbed. This is also going to work fine out of my current stereo system which is far to weaksauce to power the Hifiman HE-500s, while I save up for a decent headphone amplifier for those. Hopefully they also isolate decently and don't leak too much sound. Placed my order as well and should get them tomorrow, looking forward to it! These are easy to drive, but you still have to focus on a quality source such as a DAC/DAP. Remember to take care with your music source quality as well. Minimum Apple 256kbps AAC or 320kbps MP3 and preferably FLAC/CD quality.

Offline Gifted

• AVForums Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 09:26:23 PM »
I was slightly worried about sound leak after a few reviews.. but the isolation is excellent.. that was the first thing my wife noticed tbh as the old beats headphones leaked really badly.

For the price I'm sure you will be impressed. Complete bargain.

I'm going through my library now.. all 200gb of it. Thankfully most of it I ripped from my own collection back in the day at 320kbps anyway so it's not bad. And anything new is aac. Will still take me ages to sort, been putting it off for years tbh

Offline Cuco

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 12:15:04 PM »
Glad you're enjoying your headphones.

Offline kamikazi

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 04:35:05 PM »
Enjoying my first impressions of the MSR7s. Definitely good cans

Offline reactor_sa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 07:17:45 PM »
Enjoying my first impressions of the MSR7s. Definitely good cans
How would you compare them to the m50x? If I recall correctly you had them before?

Offline kamikazi

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 10:21:01 AM »
How would you compare them to the m50x? If I recall correctly you had them before?

It's like a refined M50. I had a colleague who had one, that I listened to a bit and remember it had hard hitting bass but did sound a bit metallic in the mids and was also a bit too aggressive to my liking in the treble. Also quite uncomfortable.

The MSR7s look much nicer, come with 3 cables and have very comfortable pads. Build wise they feel rather solid, doesn't feel plasticky and mine doesn't have any creaks or things of that kind, the sliders have solid and nice adjustment detents.

Sound wise the MSR7 follow the typical Audio-Technica house sound, but they are quite balanced sounding which I quite like. Less bass heavy than the M50s, but they do slam when the music calls for it, but this is definitely not a bass head can. The mids are very smooth and quite present like my CKR9 in ears, so is a bit forward sounding, but very detailed in the mids (not up there with my HE-500 which is probably one of the best headphones in that respect). The treble isn't rough, but quite present and a bit of spike in the 9-10Khz range to give it the feeling of having a bit of air. No nasties in the sound signature due to colourations caused by the driver housings which immediately gives it a seal of approval compared to other closed headphones I've listened to. I've spent a bit of time with the Momentum M2 in Dion-Wired the other day and definitely prefer the MSR7 to those. These aren't as good as my Audio-Technica CKR9 in ear monitors or up there with the Sennheiser HD600/650, but will be fantastic for the office. Isolation is quite good, but I get the idea that these will leak a bit of sound due to some vents in the housing so will see how that goes. Anyway, I highly recommend these!

If you want to see this headphone shine, put on "While my guitar gently weeps" by Regina Spektor.

Offline reactor_sa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 07:46:44 PM »
Thanks for the feedback @kamikazi
Really sucks that we don't have the opportunity to demo headphones and speakers in SA

Offline Audiophile101

• AVForums Member
As it compares to other reference headphones
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 10:19:54 AM »
I'm curious to know how these compare to the Sennheiser HD600's or the Beyerdynamic DT880's. Reason is, I'm looking to buy a reference pair but am reluctant to spend money on something that I don't know what it sounds like.