My first headphones.. ok choice? And do I need an amp?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gifted

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Im new here so really know nothing at all tbh.... was looking today to buy some reasonable headphones... my first real pair to replace some crappy beats studios which to be honest was a mistake impulse buy at an airport a couple of years back. My headphone knowledge is very limited. Never used headphones much as I've always liked listening to music on my speakers... I have a reasonable Denon amp with B&W 600 series speakers and some nice acoustic energy speakers hooked up to my pc.

Anyway...
Stumbled across these today on takealot: http://www.takealot.com/audio-technica-high-fidelity-portable-headphones-black/PLID41469611

I checked up the ath-msr7's and the reviews are rather promising and the price seemed crazy cheap to me... so I took the plunge. Looking forward to getting them tomorrow. Wondering now if I need a headphone dac/amp to match? Or will these sound ok on an iPhone when traveling?

Again with no knowldege of headphone amps and just looking at reviews the fiio stuff seemed promising for the price.. can't find the q1 for sale here anywhere.

Thanks for any advice

Latest posts