Author Topic: Suitable speakers for a Pioneer SA-508  (Read 791 times)

Offline Grinder man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
Suitable speakers for a Pioneer SA-508
« on: February 06, 2017, 10:17:17 PM »
Hi there.

I recently bought a Pioneer SA-508 (25wpc), TX-608, CTF-650 and PL-200. I've hooked this up to my old Sony CD/DVD player and the 2 Floorstanders from the 5.1 system (think it's the SS-MF650h)

Without the sub these speakers battle to keep up with the bass so I'm looking for speakers to go with this amp.

It will be used purely for 2 channel stereo and music only, mostly rock. Room is fairly large, 6m x 13m.

I don't want to buy speakers that necessitates upgrading the amp, but should I stumble upon a SA-608 (45wpc) or SA-9800 (100wpc?) I will gladly upgrade.

I've looked at some B&W DM-603's but not sure if it's overkill and whether I would really get the most out of the speakers.

What would you suggest for suitable speakers? My budget is up to R6 000 and i don't mind buying older speakers, as long as they are in a good condition.

Thanks
Spin the black circle

Offline entropyagent

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young to Die!
Re: Suitable speakers for a Pioneer SA-508
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 02:51:33 PM »
Sweet vintage silver mountain, dude.

I have neither knowledge nor experience, but I can offer an opinion or 2?

I suspect that 25w is going to need a lot of help in a 6x13 room. It seems like you are prepared to go modern for the speakers? And your tolerance for subs?

Offline Jvl75

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 02:56:32 PM »
Im using Boston Accoustic A60 on my SA508 and they are lovely. a bit bright at times depending on recordings. I think Vintage B&W DM 220 Speakers would work great on that amp.

Offline thenoizeguy

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 05:39:01 PM »
I also had a 508 a while back.
You need super efficient speakers for that amp. It certainly doesn't have NAD watts !  ;D

Sealed cabs would also keep that flabby bass in check.

Old AR's maybe ?...
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline Grinder man

• AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 10:43:45 PM »
I would prefer not to go with a sub and to keep the setup simple. Also the speakers needs to be pleasing to the eye, as it needs to blend in with the house and decor so a vintage style 70's speaker would be great as long as they are in good condition. I want to spend time listening to them not fixing them.

I have considered DM1400's or DM7's as well and have come across a dm603 s2 for a good price as well. Just not sure if they will sound good enough with the amp.

Another option is 80's or 90's vintage Japanese speakers but not sure about the sound and looks.
Spin the black circle

Offline entropyagent

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young to Die!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 02:41:04 PM »
I can't get over the size of that room - It's as big as my house. (Yes, I'm jealous)

Which leads me to suggest that you don't overlook bigger Tannoy HPD or Goodmans Magnum K bar fridges. Perhaps older big-inch JBLs and other Americans might also be worth considering. The USA is the land of the big room, and older speakers, from when watts were much more expensive, might be less likely to stress a period-appropriate low-power amp? Maybe.

Can you 'try before you buy'? Or 'buy before you try before you sell'? The latter approach is quite popular with some. Of course others favour the 'buy and maybe try before you store' method, also known as 'hoarding'. Or is it 'collecting'?

When you say "Without the sub these speakers battle to keep up with the bass", do you mean there is too little bass (which would be my interpretation) or the bass is 'flabby' perhaps a.k.a. 'slow/boomy'? (which might have been thenoizeguy's interpretation). Sealed cabs are traditionally less efficient than aerated cabs, according to the pamphlets I have read, so that might work against your need to enlouden the room.

Offline marantz123

• AVForums Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 05:50:02 PM »
Seems like you may like something along the lines of the Sansui SP100 and upwards. The SP100 is 92dB efficiency, 10" bass, 4" mid?, and a decent little horn. Beautiful carved lattice type grills, and dates back to 1966, and amongst the 1st lineup that Sansui launched their brand with. Marked as 25w..but with 92dB efficiency its very good sound and possibly a good match for that 25w amp.

Offline AnarchyR

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 07:47:20 PM »
Ideally you need to have paper cone speakers for that amp same era and would be perfect match.

Offline JohnnyIC

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 11:39:45 AM »
If you want something from that era I have a pair of vintage JVC floorstanding speakers, beautiful condition and very efficient.

Offline christowp

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 12:13:32 PM »
JVC sounds like the right match. My friend is using his 508 with Kenwood LS 90 (3 way with 10" bass drivers) Works great and has been for more than 30 years. he bought the whole lot new back then. Pioneer silver rack system with Kenwood speakers

Offline Grinder man

• AVForums Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 10:20:38 PM »
Thanks everyone,  your inputs have been helpful, I have decided to get the right vintage paper cone speakers. No point in getting speakers that the amp just can't handle and I can always upgrade later if I'm not happy.
Spin the black circle

Offline Danny Boy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 02:27:58 PM »
I have a NAD 3020i with Technics SB-2170
Specs:
Type: 3 way, 3 driver loudspeaker system
Frequency Response: 43Hz to 20kHz
Power Handling: 75W
Crossover Frequency: 3000, 6000Hz
Impedance: 8Ω
Sensitivity: 93dB
Bass: 1 x 290mm cone
Midrange: 1 x 120mm cone
Tweeter: 1 x horn
Enclosure: bass reflex
Dimensions: 365 x 803 x 327mm
Weight: 15kg
Year: 1982

Indecently, my openplan room is similarly sized.

I tested (amateurishly) with an android app the volume of my setup:
Ambient noise: 30dB
Amp at on 10%: 78dB @ 1m
Amp at on 20%: 98dB @ 1m
Amp at on 30%: 78dB @ 12m
Amp at on 35%: 100dB @ 12m
HT: Onkyo TX-NR828 | Wharfedale Obsidian 600 | Polk PSW350 | HiSense 60K390 | Zalman HD503 HTPC & Kodi 17.1
Stereo: NAD 3020i | NAD 522 | NAD T515 | Pioneer PL-512 | Technics SB-2170 | RPi 3, PiFi v2 & Moode Audio

Offline Grinder man

• AVForums Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 08:20:53 PM »
So just to give everyone an update as it usually goes in matters like this I bought more speakers than required!

i first found a set of Technics SB-CD101 for fairly cheapish and thought I would give them a try. Can't say I'm blown away but they are an improvement so far.

Just after buying these speakers and still awaiting delivery I found a pair of Tannoy t225's so had to buy these. I had friend pick them up for me and am finally getting it this weekend after waiting more than 4 weeks. I will keep you updated on them.

Thanks for all the advice and offers of speakers.

Now I need another amp so I can move the Technics to the garage  :headbanger:
Spin the black circle

Offline Polarz

• AVForums Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 08:51:10 AM »
Those Tannoy's are very nice and not too common here in SA.

When I had my pair I enjoyed them immensely with a Sansui Au-777 and should occasionally switch to a Marantz 1060 which also performed very well.
The passive radiator makes up for the amps conservative output ratings.

If you like the vintage Pioneer's try to find a nice SX receiver. 

Offline Grinder man

• AVForums Member
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 09:08:30 PM »
The Tannoy's really are nice and sounds awesome, even at lower volumes. Going to have a look at another system tomorrow and will then have to make some decisions on getting rid of some of stuff. Cant keep everything!  :walled:
Spin the black circle