Planning some new speakers

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimGore

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good morning all!  In my opinion this is a good way to start off the week - plan speakers on a Monday morning!

I am planning to build a set of floorstanding speakers (soon) using the following drivers:

Tweeter: (1x) Seas excel T25CF001 (butchered from my maple speakers)
Midrange: (1x) Seas excel W15CY001
Bass: (2x) Morel MW 142

From the list of drivers, you will notice that I am going for small diameter drivers - reason being that I would like to keep the cabinets narrow (and not too large in any other dimension either).  This generally means that folded horns tuned to 23Hz is out of the question.

I have this inner desire to push my abilities regarding woodworking, so I was wondering if anybody has any ideas to share on cabinet shape and style.  It has to be something that will look good as well - there's no point in building the 9th wonder of the world out of mahogany but nobody can be in the room with it because it is simply too damn unsightly  :eek:.

I have ordered a sheet of 16mm Marine Plywood (don't seem to be able to find any baltic birch ply in this country) which I will be using for the construction.  The marine ply will most probably be covered in something like American Walnut for all the outside faces. 

About three weeks ago I took delivery of my new Jet Thicknesser Planer  ;D which in conjunction with my bandsaw is going to enable me to resaw and thickness any wood stock down to about 2mm thickness.  This means I can cover the enclosures in just about anything I can get my hands on.

My idea has been to make two seperate cabinets - one for the two bass units, the other for the mid and tweeter. The one would sit on top of the other in a way that is uniform - meaning that the shape, width, and depth of the two cabs should be the same - only the height would be different.  I would like to incorporate some curves into the design to make it interesting.  Obviously these cabs would be braced propperly!  For the finish I am leaning towards American Walnut.  Perhaps with some Maple inlay banding?

Thanks for reading up to here.  Please let me know what ideas you have - it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ian.

Latest posts