Author Topic: My Stuff  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Larry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: My Stuff
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 10:01:13 AM »
For those who think reel-to-reel is only 'vintage', this is going to be available soon, new off the production line:
Estimated price €25,000

Revox / Horch House are still promising their new R2R out this year too, cheaper at an estimated $5000, but it's a playback-only machine for now.

Neither of these is "overpriced", relatively. Studers and Otaris and the like cost much the same in their time.

Beautiful equipment all - but is it REALLY called Ballfinger.......?  :BWAHAHAH:

Offline King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 12:28:56 PM »
Tx Adie ... will monitor my PM's
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2017, 10:49:26 AM »
The Ballfinger is still aimed at the small pro & consumer market and represents good industrial design, rather than something exotic and new.  It is a 7-1/2 and 15 i/s machine.  Noise floor is 70db which is 1 db better than a Revox A700.

As usual with Revox, their claimed specs are very conservative

Specs are:

Processor-controlled and directly driven 3-motor drive with 1/4 "bandwidth and 2 channels.
Winding motors: 2 brushless DC disk rotor motors with field-oriented sinus commutation. Electric brakes controlled by tape tension sensors

Capstan motor: 1 brushless DC disc rotor motor with field-oriented sinus commutation. Speed ​​control by means of high-frequency PLL (phase locked loop), theoretical acceleration time at 19 cm / s: 0.08 s

3 stepping motors for mechanical brake and head block

Pressure roller driven via servo drive

Operating hours counter optional

Tape drive   
Groove ball bearing left and right of the head block, one belt bucket roller left and right, damping element with deflection roller left and right outside. Head block driven for variable band head contact during playback and recording.

Belt speeds

9.5 cm / sec, 19 cm / sec, and 38 cm / sec.   Tolerance of nominal speed: 0.04%

Variable speed: +/- 10% at all speeds

Variable speed for editing: - 90 cm / s to + 90 cm / s

Pitch variations   <0.04% at 19 cm / sec
Hatching   <0.08%
Wrap size   Up to a maximum of 30 cm open winding, fastening by means of screw terminals
Winding time

2 speeds adjustable: 5 m / s, 10 m / s
Small speed for archival reel with increased counter-pull at 2.5 m / s

Audio electronics

One main board for recording and playback, All amplifiers as well as erase oscillator on separate plug-in cards.
Headphone amplifier can be controlled and remote controlled via motor potentiometer

Sound heads   3 sound heads: erase head, recording head and playback head in 2-channel with 2 mm separating track. Full track extinguishing head optional

Equations
9.5 cm / s: NAB 90 -3180 μ s, CCIR 90-3180 μ s
19 cm / s: NAB 50 -3180 μ sec, CCIR 70 μ sec
38 cm / sec: NAB 90 -3180 μ sec, CCIR 35 μ sec

Frequency response (measured with Pyral SM 911)

9.5 cm / s: 30 Hz - 16000 Hz +/- 2 dB
19 cm / s: 30 Hz - 20000 Hz +/- 2 dB
38 cm / s: 30 Hz - 22000 Hz +/- 2 dB

VU meter   35 mm x 60 mm according to the ASA standard
Distortion factor (measured by band)   At 0 VU <0.3%
Noise distance   > 70 dB at 19 cm / s
Crosstalk   > 43 dB at 1000 Hz
Extinguishing   > 75 dB at 1000 Hz, 19 cm / s

Inputs symmetrical to XLR or switchable to unbalanced RCA, calibrated switchable to uncalibrated +6 dB via setting controller
One large controller for input sensitivity per channel + one master with tandempotentiometer 2-channel

Outputs symmetrical to XLR via spindle dimmer -10 dB to + 25 dB adjustable + unbalanced to RCA, calibrated switchable to uncalibrated +12 dB via setting controller
Additionally an unbalanced output on RCA with level control via motor potentiometer with infrared remote control

Power supply   240V AC via 3-pin power connector, protection class 1
Power consumption   Maximum 90 watts (winding operation)

Dimensions

480 mm x 520 mm x 200 mm (W x H x D)
Removable wooden side panels for installation in 19 "rack

mass   27.5 Kg

Offline Tom

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+55)
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 06:24:05 PM »
 :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Digital Media Conversions - Preserving Memories

Offline Steerpike

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Toybox
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2017, 01:01:19 PM »
Steerpike; I have a high quality (Nagra rival) FUBAR Sony  portable RtR here. As MCI later became Sony I always wondered if the Sony heads would work in the MCIs. You are welcome to that machine if you want it.Thank you Flickr person for use of your pictures

The Sony arrived today; thank you so much!

I can immediately tell it does NOT have a broken cam, as is common on this model.
The heads & tape-guides show very little wear, so it seems not to have many hours on it.
Oddly, the head azimuth is quite evidently WAY out... someone has turned the adjustments very far - I can see it quite clearly, without going near a test tape or tool. I wonder if the SABC did this before selling the machines, to make them unusable to casual buyers?

And it has XLR microphone sockets - not standard for a 510-2. I haven't checked if they put in a genuine balanced mic stage.

Using these machines on location would have required mountains of tape reels: 32 minutes per reel at low speed, 16 mins per reel at high speed (45 mins with Long Play tape, at slightly inferior performance).

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 08:03:22 PM »
Aaah Agaton... we might as well close this forum now

Hehehe, not yet...

The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2017, 12:25:49 AM »
You promised that in the days when Jozhua was still around 🙈....
But anyway I am too broke for it now ... very nice ...
why is the tape spinning and the meter needle not moving ?  🐍 Magic ?

👍🏿
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Agaton Sax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2017, 06:39:04 AM »
3 Generations of compact Studers .1964 to 1991.
IMG_0191 by jdza, on Flickr

Offline thenoizeguy

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2017, 02:36:20 PM »
The Sony arrived today; thank you so much!

I can immediately tell it does NOT have a broken cam, as is common on this model.
The heads & tape-guides show very little wear, so it seems not to have many hours on it.
Oddly, the head azimuth is quite evidently WAY out... someone has turned the adjustments very far - I can see it quite clearly, without going near a test tape or tool. I wonder if the SABC did this before selling the machines, to make them unusable to casual buyers?

And it has XLR microphone sockets - not standard for a 510-2. I haven't checked if they put in a genuine balanced mic stage.

Using these machines on location would have required mountains of tape reels: 32 minutes per reel at low speed, 16 mins per reel at high speed (45 mins with Long Play tape, at slightly inferior performance).
Not really.
Back in the day when I used my Nagra 4S for broadcast, we would rehearse everything to death and only shoot what we needed with one or two takes. This was mainly due to the cost of film.
We had to be disciplined then. Rewind tape to master reel, full sound report per reel folded and sealed in the tape box. Box sealed with gaffer tape and all the correct info labelled on the SAUK sticker...no backups in those days.
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.