Author Topic: Oppo Uhd 203  (Read 815 times)

Offline StewartAylett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
Oppo Uhd 203
« on: February 03, 2017, 10:23:04 AM »
Hi All
Got My Oppo uhd 203 In And Installed this Morning
Have to Say the Picture Quality is Amazing just that little bit crisper than my xbox one s
The Sound is Amazing seems to boost the atmosphere quite a bit
The Opening to Point Break the Helicopter and the Dirt Bikes was Fantastic
Will let you know After I give it a Really good test over the Weekend
I'll get some Dvd's and Blu Rays on it to See what it can do

Offline KLK

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Member
Re: Oppo Uhd 203
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 01:28:48 PM »
cool!

Please do, would be nice to know the comparison compared to the "budget" xbox one s. Think the sound will be different due to xbox not bitstreaming at moment.

What uhd disks do you have to demo? Would like to know the comparison when comes to HDR, see the tv is a samsung ks range i assume?

Offline StewartAylett

• AVForums Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 01:40:39 PM »
cool!

Please do, would be nice to know the comparison compared to the "budget" xbox one s. Think the sound will be different due to xbox not bitstreaming at moment.

What uhd disks do you have to demo? Would like to know the comparison when comes to HDR, see the tv is a samsung ks range i assume?

The 4k Blu Rays I Currently Have Are:
Deadpool
The Revenant
Sicarrio
Point Break

Have more on Order The Wife not Impressed  :angrywife:

Tv Is Lg 55uh7700 It's The Weakest Link in my setup, (It's Not a Bad tv by any standards) Saving up for an Oled waiting till next year once then come down to a reasonable price

Offline KLK

• AVForums Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 02:39:05 PM »
yeah all in good time,

OLED is the way forward, but great setup already so once you get the TV sorted then you a for a way.

Let me know how the comparison goes, especially the revenant think that will show off UHD quite well, and apparently the HDR is awesome.

Offline StewartAylett

• AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 11:05:39 AM »
So I Didn't Manage To get as Many Hours In this Weekend as I Had Hoped
I did try Various formats
Firstly a SD episode the Oppo did Extremely Well I was Very Impressed from My Sitting Position there was only a Few Bits Of fast Motion with Bleed in was very good
Then Only a Blu Ray I was Blown Away with How Good it Looked, Watching Captain America the Only bit of the Whole Film it Struggled on Was the End When captain comes out to modern day New York and Pans Round
Next was the Point Break and the Revnant on Ultra Hd Blu ray
Point Break Was Amazing the Colours just gorgeous the Revnant is a Very Dark Movie but Detail Was Very Clear
the Plus and I Mean Plus The Audio just seems better I can't Explain It it's great
I was Expecting to see more Difference between blu ray and Ultra Blu Ray However I think My Lg Tv Even though its a Super Uhd Tv was On the Budget side and It's definitely the Weakest Link with the Bleeding etc
I am Going to Try Bypass My Amp and See If It Makes Any Difference 

Offline KLK

• AVForums Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 08:19:31 AM »
Hey Stewart

Thanks for the update, don't worry don't think it's your tv that much when comes to 4k, obviously more hdr effects etc. I have the Samsung ks8000 and struggle to see difference between uhd "backup" copies vs blu ray. Think the main reason for this is that the tv or any other source like the oppo upscales the blu ray to 4k.

Hdr on the other hand that is very noticeable vs a blu ray. Haven't been able to test uhd disks yet due to Xbox one s not locally released, and I'm not willing to sacrifice a local warranty at any amount yet. So the struggle continues.

Offline StewartAylett

• AVForums Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 09:04:39 AM »
The Wife was at her Folks house for the Afternoon so I got another play with the Oppo
Watched Deadpool on Ultra Bluray OMG the Detail is Amazing you can see every stitch in Deadpools suit
Really happy with the oppo just completes my movie watching setup
now just wish the SAPO would hurry up with some of my post with more 4k blu rays I've ordered
2 especially I'm waiting for are Pacific Rim and Battleship
tho Might have gone a Little Shopping crazy waiting for +- 20 movies arriving

Offline StewartAylett

• AVForums Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 04:30:49 PM »
So had a Player play off this Morning
Xbox one s vs The Oppo 203

And To Make It Fair I had the Players Direct to the Tv No Amp Involved

First Impressions
Oppo blows the xbox out of the Water as Far as I'm concerned
The detail is Noticeable from the get go
The Xbox seems like it's hiding something the colors are a little bland  it just doesn't have the wow factor the Oppo has

And on another note I prefer the oppo directly to the tv without going through the amp

Offline Jademichael06

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 05:20:09 PM »
Thanks for the update on your experience with the 203!

Did ever notice any issues with black screens or signal issues? This was noted elsewhere.

Offline StewartAylett

• AVForums Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 09:18:32 AM »
Thanks for the update on your experience with the 203!

Did ever notice any issues with black screens or signal issues? This was noted elsewhere.

Yes Had a Few Issues However I installed the beta firmware update yesterday that was released on the 17th of feb and it seems to have made a huge difference
I had a Playback issue with spiderman 2 the other day so need to watch it again to see if it has fixed it
Tried a Few Movies I got in the Post yesterday this morning and they all looked great for the 10 mins I had them on

However I am Going straight to the TV from the Oppo Some ghosting and blurred edges when played via my Denon for some reason

Offline KenMasters

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 09:31:13 AM »
However I am Going straight to the TV from the Oppo Some ghosting and blurred edges when played via my Denon for some reason

Do you have your Denon's video processing disabled?

Offline StewartAylett

• AVForums Member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 09:32:27 AM »
Do you have your Denon's video processing disabled?
Yes the Denon Set to Pass through

Offline KenMasters

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 09:41:05 AM »
Yes the Denon Set to Pass through

That doesn't mean the video processing is disabled, it means it will pass on the HDMI signal when the unit is in standby. You need to go into "Picture Mode" and select "Off". This needs to be done separately for each input. Also check in the output options that the "i/p Scaler" is set to Off.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 09:45:45 AM by KenMasters »

Offline StewartAylett

• AVForums Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 10:49:31 AM »
That doesn't mean the video processing is disabled, it means it will pass on the HDMI signal when the unit is in standby. You need to go into "Picture Mode" and select "Off". This needs to be done separately for each input. Also check in the output options that the "i/p Scaler" is set to Off.

My Denon Is All set As Per this, my devices are all 4k so have no need for any denon processing I've Made sure all the Settings are off

Offline KenMasters

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 10:57:20 AM »
My Denon Is All set As Per this, my devices are all 4k so have no need for any denon processing I've Made sure all the Settings are off

Then output should be no different, direct to the TV or not.

EDIT: Assuming your TV's settings are the same across both inputs.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 11:06:32 AM by KenMasters »