A publication's ability to accept & respond to criticism

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAV

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
If you run a technical publication, then I believe you should also be willing to accept criticism, and at the very least respond to e-mails from your readers.

For some reason, a few publications believe it is OK to stuff up and then to simply ignore their readers' comments. Why not simply and graciously admit that you have made a mistake ?

In the past, I have sent letters to publications in the Media24 group - all were responded to. The publisher and the editor of Getaway have responded, while Caravan and Outdoor simply did the whole ostrich thing - "...if I bury my head in the sand I cannot see the problem."

Popular Mechanics SA seem to be OK at accepting criticism, while (the most recent one, which prompted me to write this), i.e. Digital Life, chose to ignore the feedback I gave after a bad Griffin iTrip review.

I don't read articles just to find a mistake in every second word. I do love gadgets and technology though, and I believe a good publication knows its audience and respects their knowledge.