Author Topic: The long wait is over. Roon 1.3 was released.  (Read 1025 times)

Offline oradba69

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Lerange
Re: The long wait is over. Roon 1.3 was released.
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2017, 10:36:30 AM »
Been looking for a bit perfect method of streaming TIDAL in my Linux development environment. Roon ticks all the boxes, bypasses Pulseaudio, sounds fantastic. But I can't get over needing to keep a phone / tablet around to control it, and the deal-breaker, not being able to start artist / track radio. Perhaps a limitation of the TIDAL API which Roon Labs can't do anything about, but can't justify the price just to listen to tracks in my library over and over again, or listen to TIDAL's curated playlists which seem to be 95% R&B.
When you find an album that you like in Tidal then click on 'Add to Library' - that will mean that Radio can use these tracks as well as the original ones in your library.

Another thing you can do is to go to Tidal > Collections - from there you can add collections under various genres - and create a large library which radio can use.
Manufacturer of Audio Video furniture.
Importer and distributor of Trichord.
http://www.lerange.co.za

Offline seeyou

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2017, 10:41:02 AM »
When you find an album that you like in Tidal then click on 'Add to Library' - that will mean that Radio can use these tracks as well as the original ones in your library.

Another thing you can do is to go to Tidal > Collections - from there you can add collections under various genres - and create a large library which radio can use.

Yep, I did try those options. The Collections were alright - but I found the albums they included under each genre were in a lot of cases only members of those genres if using a liberal amount of imagination :)

Unfortunately, that still limits me to manual music discovery. With Tidal, unless I'm in the mood for a specific track/artist from my library, I like to select either an artist or track and use the radio function, which goes out and finds similar music from Tidal's ENTIRE collection, not just music I've already heard. I've found some amazing music through this discovery system, which is just not possible via Roon's implementation.

Offline lanties

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town - Bellville - Protea Valley
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2017, 08:06:30 PM »
Will finally get some time to look into Roon again in the next couple of weeks. What is the recommended OS. I would prefer to run headless unless it makes no sense to do so? Hardware recommendations will also be good.

8000 Albums and Tidal

Finally managed to get to this today running in evaluation mode.

Roon Server installed on Linux I5/8 130gb SSD.

Roon Server installed on Win64 PC as remote control and Output (Output  SPDIF into Vivere)

Additional Output devices:

3 x SBT - Stock standard as was running with LMS
3 x Wandboards with Squeezelite - Stock standard as was running with LMS ( 1 Wandboard connected to USB of Vivere)

First impressions
1. Very fast
2. Need to get use to the new way of doing things
3. Was very easy to switch from LMS to roon
4. PC app has decent interface but I need to get use to it
5. Roon Remote (Android mobile and tabled)  Serious failure here. This is a super weak area. App crashes. Does not work as expected etc.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2017, 08:22:41 PM »
^^^ what tablet? I'm using iPad Pro and Google Nexus 10 - rock solid on both :nfi:

You should install RoonBridge on the wandboards and use them as endpoints rather than feeding DAC from a full blown pc.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2017, 10:40:18 PM »
Has anyone done a sound comparison between running Roon bridge vs Roon remote?

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2017, 11:12:48 PM »
Nah, my kit, hearing and imagination aren't up to it.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Offline lanties

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2017, 11:46:47 AM »
^^^ what tablet? I'm using iPad Pro and Google Nexus 10 - rock solid on both :nfi:

You should install RoonBridge on the wandboards and use them as endpoints rather than feeding DAC from a full blown pc.

Tablet - Google Nexus 7 seems OK but not 100%. Samsung Galaxy S6 is very flaky. Crash often.

I have subsequently signed up for life. Overall value way exceeds problems with tablets and mobiles.

I have 2 x Wandboards and 1 x RPi-3 configured with Roonbridge. Seems very good. Still using some SBT's as well. You cannot combine RB and SBT zones. Not a major issue. I am also keen trying ORDROID C2 as end point. Waiting for stock.

In your opinion, do you think that RPi-3 and Ordroid C2 are sufficient end points or should one rather look at entry level NUC?
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2017, 11:57:31 AM »
In your opinion, do you think that RPi-3 and Ordroid C2 are sufficient end points or should one rather look at entry level NUC?
Stay away from the Pi's - they've ethernet/usb contention issues and trouble passing through DSD, the NUC is overkill (and electrically noisier than a SOC).  The C2 is perfect as an endpoint, in fact the C1 is more than sufficient, albeit 32 bit.  There's actually no reason not to continue with the Wandboards.

PS... get a decent tablet :P

Offline lanties

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2017, 01:11:58 PM »
Stay away from the Pi's - they've ethernet/usb contention issues and trouble passing through DSD, the NUC is overkill (and electrically noisier than a SOC).  The C2 is perfect as an endpoint, in fact the C1 is more than sufficient, albeit 32 bit.  There's actually no reason not to continue with the Wandboards.

PS... get a decent tablet :P

Thanks - Tel your buddies to fix their software on phones.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2017, 01:14:19 PM »
^^^ using Roon on a phone just doesn't make sense, albeit it works on my soon to be handed in iPhone.

Offline lanties

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2017, 01:24:34 PM »
^^^ using Roon on a phone just doesn't make sense, albeit it works on my soon to be handed in iPhone.

Purely as a remote control. Nothing more. It crashes when using it in the same manner as Squeezer, Orange with LMS etc.

Offline Rodney_gold

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2017, 03:11:30 PM »
My phone , samsung note II also is a little problematic..but roon deserves better..
DSP  studio is wonderful .. almost as good as dirac and in some cases better.
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> 2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline lanties

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2017, 03:39:20 PM »
My phone , samsung note II also is a little problematic..but roon deserves better..
DSP  studio is wonderful .. almost as good as dirac and in some cases better.

I have not even touched the DSP studio. Still going through the basic learning curve. All very exciting. So far very happy with my decision to pull the trigger on the software.