Valve/amplifier run-in time

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ampdog

R.I.P. 23 June 2022
Reaction score
Perhaps the following statistics might accentuate one of many more misconceptions regarding valve amplifier run-in period. There are almost as many diverse subjective views on this as on cables, and ingrained views will not be altered; still.

I recently tested a stache of 50 x 6L6GCs, most new, some somewhat used. The test conditions were anode and screen voltage: 400V,  Grid 1 bias: -33V.  Specified value of anode current then: 70 mA.  Voltage sources were stabilised, heater voltage not.

I noted the time taken to get to about 90% of the maintained anode current value fom cold, and the stabilised value after some 10 minutes.

All valves reachd the 90% mark within some 40 seconds, reaching stable current after about 60 sec. (The stable current was the value after some 10 minutes. This was not taken for all valves, otherwise I would still be busy.)

Brands were mostly Tung-Sol STR, with also several Electro Harmonix, G.E. and RCA.

Allied to this is the matter of 'burn-in time needed' for valve amps. Due to their nature such should take no more than a matter of minutes, as the power valves represent the greatest  factor of possible change with time.

This as a simple observation, not as an invitation to elicit subsequent heated or otherwise exchange of subjective experiences.

Latest posts