Author Topic: Streaming Services  (Read 799 times)

Offline irengineer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
    • An IT guy's view on the world
Re: Streaming Services
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 09:14:38 PM »
+1 for Tidal. Stream quality is great. I have Spotify too. I use Spotify without a VPN. I used a VPN only to register for the service. I have a mate in the USA who every now and then, buys me a bunch of Spotify $30 vouchers, and I load those. Once activated, you listen to Spotify ad free on any device, no VPN needed. I run Spotify via PiDAC+, Roku and PC. I used to run Tidal via my Auralic Aries Mini, but lightning fried it around 3 weeks ago. Just ordered a Mytek Brooklyn, so will use that for Tidal, specifically MQA.

On the same HiFi, the difference between Spotify and Tidal is vast. I run a Valve Audio Exlame amp with Tannoy speakers. Spotify sounds tinny and harsh, with a brash edge that Tidal just don't have. I will try Tidal with Roon soon, no idea how that sounds yet.

Offline Rodney_gold

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 10:33:31 PM »
Roon is a must with Tidal..a match made in heaven
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> 2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline packrat

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 07:38:30 PM »
💯 % Tidal.
"You gotta love livin', baby, 'cause dyin' is a pain in the ass"
Frank Sinatra

Offline Cuco

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 04:31:09 PM »
With Tidal you get only 44.1 kHz sample rate, with Roon you can get 192kHz, DSD if you have downloaded high res music. It does make a difference.
GAS and OCD

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 05:27:11 PM »
Qobuz.  But there is a problem, since it is only available to users in Europe and Canada.  You can operate via a VPN on Opera, but must pay them from one of those countries.  It can be done via Bitcoin