Author Topic: Streaming Services  (Read 989 times)

Offline irengineer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
    • An IT guy's view on the world
Re: Streaming Services
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 09:14:38 PM »
+1 for Tidal. Stream quality is great. I have Spotify too. I use Spotify without a VPN. I used a VPN only to register for the service. I have a mate in the USA who every now and then, buys me a bunch of Spotify $30 vouchers, and I load those. Once activated, you listen to Spotify ad free on any device, no VPN needed. I run Spotify via PiDAC+, Roku and PC. I used to run Tidal via my Auralic Aries Mini, but lightning fried it around 3 weeks ago. Just ordered a Mytek Brooklyn, so will use that for Tidal, specifically MQA.

On the same HiFi, the difference between Spotify and Tidal is vast. I run a Valve Audio Exlame amp with Tannoy speakers. Spotify sounds tinny and harsh, with a brash edge that Tidal just don't have. I will try Tidal with Roon soon, no idea how that sounds yet.
“Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don’t have any surface noise.  I said, “Listen, mate, life has surface noise.” 

John Peel ( the longest serving of the original BBC Radio1 DJs)

Offline Rodney_gold

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 10:33:31 PM »
Roon is a must with Tidal..a match made in heaven
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> 2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Online packrat

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 07:38:30 PM »
💯 % Tidal.
"You gotta love livin', baby, 'cause dyin' is a pain in the ass"
Frank Sinatra

Offline Cuco

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 04:31:09 PM »
With Tidal you get only 44.1 kHz sample rate, with Roon you can get 192kHz, DSD if you have downloaded high res music. It does make a difference.

Online chrisc

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 05:27:11 PM »
Qobuz.  But there is a problem, since it is only available to users in Europe and Canada.  You can operate via a VPN on Opera, but must pay them from one of those countries.  It can be done via Bitcoin