Author Topic: Streaming Services  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Nishal Prag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
Streaming Services
« on: January 23, 2017, 08:51:12 PM »
What is a good streaming provider? I was thinking about Apple Music or Deezer. I have used Spotify but the whole adverts and VPN thing is becoming annoying... What do you guys recommend?

Online Rodney_gold

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Streaming Services
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 09:10:43 PM »
tidal for uncompressed music
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> 2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline dekardy

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 09:15:52 PM »
tidal for uncompressed music

Tidal, but the HiFi subscription, Google Play Music after that.  Used to be Deezer but I grew fond of Play Music.  Never tried Spotify.

Offline kolakidd

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 09:22:30 PM »
Second vote for Tidal, they also recently enabled studio quality for some tracks.

You could also choose some of the lesser known artists you like and then search each of the streaming services to see how much of their catalogue they cover.

Offline Nishal Prag

• AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 06:02:59 PM »
Second vote for Tidal, they also recently enabled studio quality for some tracks.

You could also choose some of the lesser known artists you like and then search each of the streaming services to see how much of their catalogue they cover.

Sounds like a good idea. I will mainly be using it to find the golden oldies and to see what is hot at the moment. I would also like a mobile app that supports an offline mode and can have multiple devices on the same account

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 09:37:28 PM »
Tidal first for sound quality, but I like Apple Music as well, AAC is a better format imo than MP3 and one can see that Apple takes care in the quality of the tracks, features a more expansive library than Tidal and quite good personalised band/artist recommendations.

Offline oradba69

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Lerange
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 04:54:58 AM »
Tidal first for sound quality, but I like Apple Music as well, AAC is a better format imo than MP3 and one can see that Apple takes care in the quality of the tracks, features a more expansive library than Tidal and quite good personalised band/artist recommendations.
Agree.
Manufacturer of Audio Video furniture.
Importer and distributor of Trichord.
http://www.lerange.co.za

Online Mervin

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • AVForums Veteran
    • Security Audit and Control Solutions
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 05:03:40 AM »
For simplicity and R59/month Google Play works for me but sitting in front of a computer and a hotel most of the time.
Behind the cupboard door... Narnia

Offline 2wice

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 06:44:15 AM »
+ 1 for Google play.
I did find Spotify's discovery playlist more interesting than Google's recommended, but the VPN was a pain.

Offline Mirkywaters333

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 01:45:48 PM »
i find for some nice background music internet radio, specifically 1.fm and 181.fm have a wide variety of genre, best of all its free , and no adverts. :groovy:

Offline Yossarian

• AVForums Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 11:18:44 AM »
if we are going into online radio. XFM (london) is by far hands down the best radio station if you are into things like lumineers and kings of Leon very specific taste i know.

For streaming hi res definitely tidal at the moment
for non high res the best playlist generator is Pandora (Pandora plus Hola plug in on chrome if you are not keen on VPN) I find the play lists it generates are much better than apple music or even tidal for that matter. i usually find myself skupping every third or forth song on an apple music playlist which is very annoying.

Offline vee

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 11:43:13 AM »
Tidal HiFi FTW

Offline Mirkywaters333

• AVForums Member
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 06:11:57 PM »
Thanks for info will give xfm a bash  :groovy:

Offline LordBacon

• AVForums Member
  • Beginner / noob / newbie
    • Wie's Jou Pappa
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 10:17:15 AM »
I have been enjoying Google Play, for the price i find the library wide and love discovering new music through the 'radio' Cannot comment on audio quality as i am listening on cheapy in ear buds. would like to be able to source higher quality files on purchase, as currently you only have MP3, so no lossless sources. Nice thing though is that you have ample cloud starage for your own uploaded files, though FLAC are again not supported.... it does make for easy listening from work.

Online Cuco

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 12:49:29 PM »
Roon Labs + Tidal