AMP DAC vs CDP DAC

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PearlJam

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Yesterday I tested my AV amp's DAC's (Yamaha DSP-AZ1) with those inside the CDP (Marantz CD-5400).

The AV has a Burr-Brown PCM1704 DAC and the CDP has a Crystal Semiconductor CS 4392 DAC.  Now I am not an expert on the technical side.  But I found the Amp having superior sound to my liking in all aspects.  Bigger soundstage, better separation, more depth, etc.  So I started thinking, my ultimate goal is to get myself a proper stereo system as I enjoy music more than movies.  What would be a logical step ito the CDP?  Would I look at a separate DAC and remain on the Marantz as a transport or is it better to just go for a better CDP?  What are my options ito CDP's / DAC's if I want to match or improve on the sound that I get from the AV amp?  Is there fundamental sound differences between the manufacturers of DAC's, iow should I look at a player with Burr-Brown DAC's if that is my preference in sound?  Or does the different models in a range also make a big difference?