Author Topic: Stop there is a new King  (Read 1035 times)

Offline pwatts

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Stop there is a new King
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2017, 06:50:49 PM »
Using only the physical media, yes sure why not. It's been done often enough with RJ45 plugs which should offer similar performance for I2S and easier to use, but with an HDMI plug I was hoping to see the additional signals like the CEC bus being used for comms or so. I built an external DAC with an LVDS input with a RJ45 plug 10 years ago and it worked great.

Electrical LVDS (not the protocol which is a bit more) doesn't care about the physical cable as long as it's a 100R differential pair so you can use whatever plug of choice, be it HDMI or DisplayPort or whatever. These cables are capable of higher bandwidth than CAT5e/CAT6, but for I2S there should not really be any difference. CAT7 is a nice option since the cable is not only shielded but every pair is shielded too.

Offline Wolvebain

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2017, 07:27:28 PM »
CAT7 does have the additional shielding on each twisted pair, which is why I asked for the RJ45 module to be shipped separately on my NOS11, even though I chose the HDMI port (for I2S from my Pink Faun) and USB setup on the actual NOS11
But Damnn.. real shielded CAT 7 is pretty stiff :)
Why stand on a silent platform?
Fight the war...

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2017, 07:31:15 PM »
CAT7 is not a good idea for DACs.
♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ Cables, Interconnects & Other Stuff - The Truth.

We can tune in the 23W transmitter from the Voyager probes that are 5.8 billion miles away but audio remains a mystery. :roll:

Offline pwatts

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2017, 07:41:41 PM »
The extra shielding adds capacitance of course and thus limits bandwidth.. but should not be an issue for I2S. What is the problem with CAT7?

Offline gavinbirss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2017, 08:20:03 AM »