Author Topic: Audiomat Tempo 2.8 & NuPrime DAC-10H  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
Re: Audiomat Tempo 2.8 & NuPrime DAC-10H
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 02:23:05 PM »
Ok, here's what I thought whilst listening...

Paco de lucia, Al di Meola, John McLaughlin - Mediterranean Sun Dance / Rio Anco,  album Friday Night in San Francisco
Yggy,  better tone, digs deeper than the Audiomat.
NuPrime more clinical in its delivery than the Vivere, Vivere better at instrument separation.

Jethro Tull - Locomotive Breath [40th Anniversary] and Pink Floyd - Mother, album The Wall (Discovery Edition)
Yggy, more pronounced kick drum, good instrument separation, Audiomat kick drum a little less obvious in mix, Vivere on par with Yggy re kick drum. Both Audiomat and NuPrime had less visceral impact from kick drum.

Pink Floyd - Goodbye Blue Sky, album The Wall (Discovery Edition)
Here there little between any of them, the Yggy and Audiomat do better resolving some of the finer detail, but guitar sounds great on all

Emmylou Harris - Goodbye, album Wrecking Ball
Yggy and Audiomat deliver more warmth and detail, especially vocals and bass.

Emmylou Harris - Boulder to Birmingham, Producer's Cut
Yggy more musical warmth than Audiomat, better at conveying emotion of the voice.
Vivere has more warmth than NuPrime, without sacrificing detail.

Patty Griffin - You'll Remember, album Children Running Through
Patty has a wonderful, incredibly powerful voice, that does a great job conveying emotion, but it's also a lethal weapon and can make your ears bleed when she hits the high notes.  The outcome here surprised me.  I found her voice as she hit the highs most shrill on the Audiomat. The most refined delivery came from the Yggy, then the Vivere, followed by the NuPrime.

Keith Jarrett, Koln Concert, Pt. 1
Again the Yggy has the upper hand and the Audiomat comes off as more strident.  Vivere comes off as more refined/ less strident than the NuPrime. Audiomat and NuPrime more or less on par here.

Dire Straits - Private Investigations
Vivere more musical than NuPrime. NuPrime comes off as more clinical, doesn't have the warmth of the Vivere. Not a lot in it between the Audiomat and the Yggy, the Yggy is warmer without losing detail.

So, to summarise...having spent most of last night and the better part of today listening...

Order of preference:  Yggdrasil, Audiomat, Vivere, NuPrime.

The Audiomat just nudges in ahead of the Vivere, but the Yggy is a clear favourite and the NuPrime clearly last for my tastes.

All of these DACs are very detailed, all of them are musical and none are fatiguing.  The differences are subtle and lie on the warm/organic > analytical/ clinical continuum as well as the DAC's ability to convey the finer subtle details and body of the recording.

The most consistently engaging DAC for me was the Yggy.  It does a great job at conveying detail without ever presenting as analytical or clinical and stuck me as the most balanced / even handed regardless of the type of music or instrument being played.  I've listened to gavinbirss' Soekris plankie on my system and it's very close to the Yggy.  The Audiomat surprised me, if it were less strident (and it's not obviously strident) it'd be on par with the Yggy in many respects.  Make no mistake, the NuPrime is no shabby DAC either. It's detailed and musical, but doesn't convey the finer subtle details as well as the others and it has a tendency to present as clinical at times.  In many ways it reminds me of the how the Vivere sounded in the initial stages of its voicing as Gert iteratively worked through feedback from myself and others over a period of many months.  My final realisation is that the Vivere is, to me, a lot better than I had appreciated.  There were many moments during this shootout where it wowed me and brought a big smile to my face.  In addition to being an electronic wunderkind, Mr. Byleveldt is an artist, whether he likes it or not.

Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 02:29:36 PM »
Ben, I eagerly await the DAC2X...
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Offline pwatts

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2017, 02:40:52 PM »
@pwatts
You are getting a sample board of the 9028 or 9038PRO? Going to use 768K XMOS USB-2-i2s?

The differential current drive output of 9038 is equal to four 9018S's....

I'm getting chip samples of both, not eval boards. I'll probably only use the 9028 since the 9038 needs a discrete/passive output stage to achieve its potential, which is not feasible in my application (in fact it's only really useful for studio use but I suspect that won't stop the hobbyists from trying). I will use the Xcore200 XMOS but via a DSP and only in PCM mode.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2017, 04:32:39 PM »
Thanks for your write-up RJ. Hope it's okay if I post some of my own thoughts here?

It's a bit tricky to find out which DAC chip the Audiomat is based on.. As far as I know the Tempo 2.7 was based on the PCM1794A, but I found some vague references in French that said it was now AKM, but without opening it I don't think one will know. At some stage I even thought there might be valves in there, but then somebody confused the higher end model with the Tempo. When you listen to classical music you can hear some elements of the Tempo's delta-sigma heritage coming through, but that strident nature becomes a little bit more apparent with strings and piano where I find the timbre to be a little bit off, but in all I was quite surprised at how natural and musical it was.

RJ, you have a very good neutral reference setup there with amazing sound stage and imaging capabilities so it would be nice to hear your thoughts on that. I was quite impressed with the Vivere's staging capabilities, especially depth and the NuPrime in comparison seemed a little strange through focusing more on height than width and depth (though it worked well for headphone listening), but the sharp/shouty nature made it fatiguing to listen to (especially with headphones). The Audiomat seemed to throw quite a nice width on the sound stage. The staging on the Theta I found quite natural, but it's not really anything exceptional.

Seems our conclusions are similar, albeit I didn't focus on soundstage at all whilst listening.  Having said that I didn't notice any significant differences in sound stage and imaging other than to say that I found the Yggy gave the overall performance more body than the other DACs.  Agree with your thoughts re the Audiomat's stridency, particularly higher notes.  With lower notes it's not as apparent.  Same with vocals.

I'll play a few tunes tonight for pleasure and flip between DACs during playback to see if there's anything that draws my attention.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 04:43:22 PM »
All the DACs lined up, Vivere to the right of the rack.

NuPrime

ODROID-C2 ... Concurrent USB feed to all four DACs.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 05:58:31 PM by Rotten Johnny »

Offline Phase

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 05:04:28 PM »
AWESOME review RJ! The Yggy is a machine, it performes so well they didn't bother naming it.

Offline oradba69

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Lerange
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2017, 05:38:04 PM »
Nice rack
Manufacturer of Audio Video furniture.
Importer and distributor of Trichord.
http://www.lerange.co.za

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2017, 05:46:26 PM »
Nice rack

You should see it in the flesh ,pics don't do it justice  ;)

Nice write up RJ
The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2017, 07:07:21 PM »
Nice rack
I like it so much I have two  ;D

Offline Phase

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2017, 07:11:06 PM »
I like it so much I have two  ;D

RJ have you ever run a cable test in your setup? Will also be interesting... I used to believe in cables now not so much.

Offline Phase

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2017, 07:13:51 PM »
Looking behind your rack it also seems that you don't place to much importance on cables?

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2017, 07:22:29 PM »
In my system exotic cables make no difference, not even to believers, Geco can attest to that.