Projector screen - acoustically transparent, advice wanted

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antonsa

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi All
When i first got my 51" plasma (as a congrats on stopping smoking present to myself) in 2011, the sheer size of the screen was WOW.
Over the years ive put together a 7.1 system which has a rotel rsp 1572 processor as its source and im using the multi inputs of the rotel rsx 1067 7ch ,
subwoofer is active, Its now at a point where the sound has by far outgrown the image, almost every person who i demo the system to, eventually pauses, and says
"you know what you need, A projector, that would be cool".

Even my wife (newly weds of 1month) has agreed its on the wishlist for the near future.

Its a small room measuring 2.8m wide x 4.6m in length, ceiling height is standard at 2.6m

I would like to achieve a similiar effect to "imax". the projector screen would have to be a pull down (motorized)
and it needs to be about 750mm away from the front wall, so basically you would sit 4m away from the screen

so max size for screen would be basically, 2.8 x 2.6 (W x H)

It would need to be acoustically transparent
max height might actually be 2.55 or so to make allowance for subwoofer slot-port. The subwoofer is a behemoth dual 12" in a huge box.

2 questions.

1) what would the optimal size be for 16:9
2) would the bass-waves not "move" the screen while watching, or are they heavily weighted? i obviously would have the screen above the slot-port

The spl in the room can get fairly loud, enough that you can feel the sub-bass in the chest.

Any tips / advice from those who have done this before would be great.

I was also thinking of making a large bezel / frame which i can cover with acoustic cloth, this would serve 2 purposes,
make the room kid-proof (no buttons to push etc etc) and would be great when watching movies as you wont see any speakers or equip

the other reason for a pull-down is i want to keep the 51" for daily viewing, series etc.
That and i have a shelf i made which the center speaker sits on, this sits around 2ft from the top of the ceiling.