Author Topic: Upping the ante: Apogee Stage -> Apogee Mini-Grand  (Read 631 times)

Offline Adagio

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • "Keep your coins, I want Change"
Upping the ante: Apogee Stage -> Apogee Mini-Grand
« on: January 19, 2017, 10:06:45 PM »
Looking to take the Apogee Stage's to the next level: Mini-Grand.

http://www.reality-audio.com/minigrand.html

(The Apogee Mini-Grand = Apogee Stage + Apogee DAX + Active Subwoofer)

Step #1: Source used Apogee DAX (http://www.reality-audio.com/dax1_2.html), or DIY a clone build.

Step #2: Source 4 x relevant 8" Vifa drivers, & install direct into current existing plinth. (will provide actual current state photo's shortly)

Step #3: Actively power the Vifa's, with existing Adcom, Linn or Arcam stereo power amps.

Should anybody be able to assist with sourcing of parts, (Apogee DAX  crossover/relevant Vifa 8" drivers) or any other relevant info, kindly fire away. >>

Offline Adagio

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • "Keep your coins, I want Change"

Offline DeonC

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Upping the ante: Apogee Stage -> Apogee Mini-Grand
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 01:10:28 PM »
Personally I would use two of these with their servo feedback amps:

Rythmik Audio 8" servo driver• DS800 Direct Servo driver

Or even a pair of the 12" drivers per side:

Rythmik Audio 12" Servo subwoofer " GR 12" Custom Installation subwoofer

With either of these options you will surpass what the Mini Grand was capable of, and probably get better integration between panels and subs than the original. Just my :2c:.
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Offline dimitri

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
Re: Upping the ante: Apogee Stage -> Apogee Mini-Grand
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 05:58:12 PM »
Hi Adagio

Congratulations on your Stages.
I understand you also have the stands for the Stages.
My advise would be to use separate powered subwoofer (s).
This way you will have more freedom in placement/ integration. Also try and implement a high pass in your xover between stages and subs, something the mini grands never  had. This will protect your bass ribbons from unecessarily high excursions.  Keep in mind that if your bass ribbons fail or start the dreaded buzz, you will have two beautiful sculptures, but no more high end sound. APOGEE  currently does not make bass ribbons for Stages.
Apogee Stages are great speakers, they just need to be treated with love & respect.

Dimitri