Author Topic: Wilson auidio Sasha clone  (Read 5482 times)

Offline Timber_MG

Re: Wilson auidio Sasha clone
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2017, 08:45:28 PM »
I would strongly suggest getting in touch with Francois. He had some Wilson units a while back and he may be able to arrange a complete set that needs some TLC or that could serve as a donor. It would fast track a project like this no end and be more than just a clone or a speaker inspired by them.

Offline blizzard

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Science is a Living thing! It is never Concluded.
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 10:18:49 PM »
The Bongs

Welcome to the AVForums

You must now be more confused then when you got here  :point:
Opinions are a dime a dozen and and the end of the day you must decide what is best for you.I for one would never buy "sloppy seconds" drivers as you will never know how the previous owner treated them.
My advice is to stick with new drivers and the peace of mind you get with them. Amongst others  I have used Visaton products for 30 years and they are of high quality and reliable and come with a three year warranty.It is a very predictable product and I have speaker systems still singing along that I built in 1987!
Choose wisely and decide what will fit your pocket and ear in the end.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 10:21:27 PM by blizzard »

Offline fuz940510

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 09:15:29 AM »
The Bongs

Welcome to the AVForums

You must now be more confused then when you got here  :point:
Opinions are a dime a dozen and and the end of the day you must decide what is best for you.I for one would never buy "sloppy seconds" drivers as you will never know how the previous owner treated them.
My advice is to stick with new drivers and the peace of mind you get with them. Amongst others  I have used Visaton products for 30 years and they are of high quality and reliable and come with a three year warranty.It is a very predictable product and I have speaker systems still singing along that I built in 1987!
Choose wisely and decide what will fit your pocket and ear in the end.

You may want to slow down with the rampant advertising there...

To provide a voice of reason to counterpoint blizzard - Second hand drivers can be absolutely fine, and usually are. I know many people that have bought them, without ever finding an issue. If you're happy to buy a second hand speaker, why not second hand drivers?

If you have never built a speaker before, i strongly recommend a kit. There is far more to it than just slapping some drivers in a box and hoping for the best. The shape of the baffle, the volume of the box, the distance between the drivers, where the driver is designed to operate in terms of frequency, type of enclosure all affect the sound that you will receive.

Troels Gravesen (troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Loudspeaker_Projects.htm) has many, many kits for different price points and purposes. He also explains his design process quite meticulously. so it's a learning process too.
If you want to be taken seriously, always check your fly.

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2017, 09:36:21 AM »
By units I didn't mean drive units, whole assembled loudspeakers with the cabinetry needing some TLC. They were in storage for many years if I remember right.

Offline blizzard

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Science is a Living thing! It is never Concluded.
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2017, 10:08:01 AM »
Bongs is a Carpenter by trade,so as far as I understood it he is looking for suitable drivers / kits to tackle this project.

Offline The Bongs

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2017, 11:08:35 AM »
Bongs is a Carpenter by trade,so as far as I understood it he is looking for suitable drivers / kits to tackle this project.
yes indeed building a suitable box of any sortt or kind is a walk in a park.also know a thing or 2 about box tunning  :flame:

Offline Kemosabe

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2017, 04:32:33 PM »
yes indeed building a suitable box of any sortt or kind is a walk in a park.also know a thing or 2 about box tunning  :flame:
Just remember you can tune a box but you cant tuna fish.
DIY hi-fi: the journey is the destination.

Offline The Bongs

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2017, 01:38:55 PM »
 :clap:
Just remember you can tune a box but you cant tuna fish.
i just know everything to know about speaker box building

Offline pwatts

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2017, 09:10:43 PM »
:clap: i just know everything to know about speaker box building
If you look at Wilson's box technology you'll see there can be more to it than just a bunch of planks and braces and stuffing.

Offline JimGore

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2017, 08:56:27 AM »
:clap: i just know everything to know about speaker box building

Excellent! In that case your project should be a major success right from the start!

After all my years of speaker building, I still don't propose to know everything about speaker box building (and I have built far more than most), so you must have some very serious experience going for you!

Best of luck with your project  :dop:

Kind regards,
Ian.