Author Topic: DAC & Windows Master Volume Control  (Read 414 times)

Offline B_Unit

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • I am always looking for Vintage Marantz equipment
DAC & Windows Master Volume Control
« on: January 18, 2017, 11:27:17 AM »
Hello Guys,

I recently bought a USB DAC,

This one to be exact.

https://www.alza.cz/pro-ject-dac-box-s-usb-cerny-d417386.htm?o=2

It sounds pretty good and there is a noticeable sound difference.

BUT the windows volume control has now stopped working.

I have read on the net that some DACs bypass this system in the windows.

Does anybody have any suggestion how to get it working ?

If not I will return this product.

Byron

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+29)
Re: DAC & Windows Master Volume Control
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 11:41:52 AM »
What are you using for playback.  Software often uses exclusive mode to ensure that no windows sound effects and other software can stream to the device.  If you shut down your playback software does windows vol control return?
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline B_Unit

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 03:55:33 PM »
playback ?

Hmm I do not quite understand.

Well I for instance play music of Chrome via Youtube.

I can control the volume If i specifically control the volume for Chrome Application in the Volume "mixer" section.

But if I use the Master Volume it does not work.

There is no specific  driver for this product. Windows automatically installs the Driver

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 06:08:42 PM »
in windows you can add other software that will stream music files stored on your computer to the DAC

examples of this software include Foobar and Jriver as well as Musicbee or Roon ..... some of these are paid bits of software and some are free - and they will provide you more advanced functionality than Youtube in your chrome browser

the whole idea of using the DAC is to provide bit perfect audio playback - this would bypass windows and windows audio drivers - hence why the windows volume control wont work but each individual music playback app will have a volume control that you can use for the music

the alternative is to get an external sound card that will probably allow your windows volume control to work but then the audio quality wont be as improved as you find with a good DAC

however if for example if you install musicbee which is a good beginner program (or even Foobar2000 .... because those are free programs which will allow you to familiarise yourself with how these interfaces work) you will encounter different programming interface drivers like WASAPI and ASIO that you can use which will allow your PC device and DAC combination to work as well as a CD player to play back music files stored on hard drive on your PC - that is the ultimate aim of using a DAC ie to emulate what a good CD player would do without having to use the actual discs and to have that music stored on the PC

if that is not your aim and you wish to rather just have a general purpose device that plays all windows audio for you then an external sound card is what you are after instead of a DAC ie something like this

http://www.wootware.co.za/asus-xonar-u7-7-1-usb-soundcard-and-headphone-amplifier.html

if you decide to stick to the DAC and wish to try some software then heres some guidance on how to install the software and you can also ask questions on how to use it if you get confused

http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,48954.0.html

if however you dont want to store music and would rather just have a general purpose audio card then the DAC wont work for your purposes and you need something like that ASUS sound card instead

maybe get some advice and assistance from a more tech/computer savvy friend before you continue because he can maybe help you plan out what exactly you wish to do in the long run

Offline B_Unit

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 09:07:13 PM »
Thanks Naughty !

I ended up returning the DAC.

Ill get a desktop and find a decent sound card.

Byron

Offline ScottulusMaximus

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 09:51:26 PM »
Both my Korg and my Modi allow adjustment via windows master control? It depends on the DACs drivers, not whether it's a soundcard or not.

Any DAC that offers above 94kHz sample rate in Windows will be using ASIO/WASAPI drivers as well, Windows default drivers don't go that high.
Please PM me for anything you need imported. See here.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 08:23:32 AM »
I prefer the software and computer have as little effect on the playback stream as possible.  In JRiver, under Playback options, you can select "no volume control".  However, JRiver also has an infinitely adjustable parametic equaliser, so if you have a bass hump at 140Hz of 3db, you can reduce this frequency by that amount

Offline HGB2107

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 05:44:46 PM »
Hi...I use JRiver with PC volume disabled....ie...digital straight out to DAC and volume controlled externally.

Offline Momo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 12:18:28 PM »
I use Jriver the same way ,prefer using my amps volume only .

Offline naughty

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 12:44:52 PM »
if you are using ASIO or WASAPI - it should go straight through with no interference from windows (this includes the volume control) or thats how I thought it works .... and actually thats how it works for me  :nfi:

Offline Wolvebain

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 09:54:11 PM »
From my experience, some windows DACs pick-up to a max of 192KHz, not 96.. but that's besides the point.
As mentioned by others, 'Master Volume' of the DAC depends on the driver.. I have had DACs that by-passed the windows sound modules for playback via ASIO or KernelStreaming, but it's 'Master Volume' can still be governed by the windows volume mixer while still preventing other 'system sounds' effecting the audio playback.

Why stand on a silent platform?
Fight the war...