'plankie' metalwork assistance

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwatts

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi guys, some help from a fellow forumite would be appreciated (at some compensation of sorts of course).

I'm developing proof-of-concept hardware for an active speaker project comprising of 11 different PCB's that connect to each other with an array of direct board-to-board mounts, ribbon cable and regular wiring. This naturally needs a secure substrate for easy testing; a full chassis is neither needed nor desired as it just gets in the way. At the end it will just be bolted into a rough pine box and shipped to Europe for further evaluation.

Details are still under development, but will be:
- qty: 2x
- 3-4mm thickness aluminium
- dimensions 400 x 500mm
- approx 40x M3 threaded holes each
- at the one edge a piece of angle iron with a cutout for an IEC socket and 4 speaker terminals is all that's required, all other connections are on the boards themselves.
- tolerances not crazy.. 0.2mm max should be OK.

Since I have no metalwork equipment I can have it submitted to a lasercutting company but the two places I enquired either did not want the business of such a basic once-off or charged an exorbitant fee for the exact same reason.

Anyone willing to help or at least point me into the right direction for this kind of work?