Author Topic: LampizatOr Atlantic ... no contest  (Read 3722 times)

Offline Nidri

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Don't panic.
Re: LampizatOr Atlantic ... no contest
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2017, 12:52:41 PM »
^^^ haven't tried other inputs, I'd be using USB and my Roon endpoints are running USB out.

Audio is here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cnlkwgqneddwn0g/AAD9qqbezlepND0vmev_ts9oa?dl=0

Similar to (but not quite the same as) the sound my amp used to make:
https://youtu.be/33r8IKlVNpI

The source of my 'motorboating' was a bad capacitor.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2017, 01:11:28 PM »
That can easily be it.  Bad insulation in the capacitor.  A tin of Freezol often identifies the culprit, but then you need to have the amp on

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2017, 02:08:20 PM »
Almost sounds like a modulating noise. If it's a faulty cap they should pick it up with measuring equipment, so best to let them have a look at it.

Offline AudioEars

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
    • Vorna TV & Satellite
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2017, 02:40:04 PM »
Hi Evangelis(Spelling?)
The click at about 3 seconds in sounds like a old clock? is this click from the unit? Internal clock harmonic?
I had noise from a SM-PSU that was for an external HDD, but not what I hear on your recording, strange noise
Maybe to try and eliminate if it is an internal fault with unit or a combination of being connected in a new system, may I suggest to try unplugging all unnecessary SM-PSU's?
Look forward to your reply
Afgaristou
Andrew
AudioEars

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2017, 05:17:22 PM »
This sounds like almost as much effort to get vinyl spinning to sound good  :2c:
The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2017, 06:43:27 PM »
The most difficult trick with a turntable is to get it rotating at 33 1/3.  That is the first hurdle....    Listened to a system today, track 2 sounded terrible and I thought the amp was on its way out.  A blob of fluff was captured by the needle

Only the dedicated persevere.  I must admit the LP sounded very crisp and clean

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2017, 07:28:03 PM »
Some pics...

Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Online Rodney_gold

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2017, 08:54:49 PM »
how much does this dac go for?
Roon/tidal > SBT>DIRAC ddrc 22 > 2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1's ..fully treated room

Offline FranZAR

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2017, 09:00:04 PM »

50Hz...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rather be thought a fool than open your mouth and prove it.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2017, 09:13:53 PM »

75k I'm told.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Offline GECO

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2017, 09:18:35 PM »
Just add another stage to the vivere from the digital to a passive IV into a anode follower with decent regulation.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2017, 09:28:35 PM »
Hi Evangelis(Spelling?)
The click at about 3 seconds in sounds like a old clock? is this click from the unit? Internal clock harmonic?
I had noise from a SM-PSU that was for an external HDD, but not what I hear on your recording, strange noise
Maybe to try and eliminate if it is an internal fault with unit or a combination of being connected in a new system, may I suggest to try unplugging all unnecessary SM-PSU's?
Look forward to your reply
Afgaristou
Andrew
AudioEars
Andrew, I took it back this afternoon for it to be looked at.  Once it's checked out and confirmed in good working order I'll demo it again if available.  Everything you heard in that sound clip is coming from the DAC.  None of the DACs I've owned and/or auditioned in that room have ever presented any issues with the SMP's in the room - powering a network switch, and audio transports.  I reduced it to a single SMP in my dining room and got the same result as in my listening room.

Offline achim

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Good brands in good hands
    • 13hof
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2017, 10:11:50 PM »
well....75k is a word......

at 60k goes my favorite DAC with CD Transport - the Unison CD Due and I got a very good lesson from Willem (a forum member as well).
He is having Lampizator as well...but I guess another (bigger?) model..and DCS and and and....   and a CD Due since last week.

He came from Bloem to visit me in THE LOFT and told me about his experience with this new CD Due.... 

Willem said this machine is a DAC with CD Transport and not as I describe it as a ...CD Player...

Another alternative to many many known DACs are the 2 DACs by a french company AUDIOMAT....and I was thinking maybe I should send you the smaller model to "get some satisfaction"?

Contact us to book a demo. - Twitter

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2017, 10:18:54 PM »
Achim, welcome to send it my way and we'll see if I can do better than the Stones in the satisfaction dept.

Offline achim

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Good brands in good hands
    • 13hof
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2017, 10:25:36 PM »
good..... the deal for your review is agreed. More I cant do for your personal satisfaction - you may understand ... ;) I ll send you an Audiomat...and I must ask Eitan to bring it back beginning of this week.... he ordered this unit almost -  but wanted to wait for the Lampi - as a very last competition.

I m very curious how you judge... please PM me the delivery adress

Contact us to book a demo. - Twitter