Author Topic: LampizatOr Atlantic ... no contest  (Read 3724 times)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
Re: LampizatOr Atlantic ... no contest
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 08:32:03 AM »
I think you should try another DAC.  There might be a noisy component therein.  I very much doubt its any of the other things you have tried

When you say "electrical noise", is that a buzz, hum, hiss, warbling?

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2017, 08:36:31 AM »
Are you not perhaps playing in 'Vinyl' mode.... "snap, cackle, pop"?
You know I have a DSP for that :giggle:

Stupid suggestion I know, but try running it using an extension cord from a different AC outlet - i.e. try isolate the power source from the existing outlet. In fact, a different phase if you have 3-phase power.
All plug-points in that room take power from the same dedicated circuit breaker.  I know this because I did the wiring myself (dad's an electrician and I spent too many school holidays wiring factories and offices).

You don't perhaps have an electric fence? Sounds almost as if it is picking up interference from the Energiser.
Nope, energiser went to lightning heaven.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+61)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2017, 08:36:54 AM »
Someone should forward the sound sample to Lukasz (spell?);  he'll know what it is.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2017, 08:40:11 AM »
I think you should try another DAC.  There might be a noisy component therein.  I very much doubt its any of the other things you have tried

When you say "electrical noise", is that a buzz, hum, hiss, warbling?
Chris, there's a dropbox link to the recording earlier in the thread.

Both the Vivere and the Yggy are dead silent using same interconnects and power to same SE input on preamp.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2017, 08:40:45 AM »
Someone should forward the sound sample to Lukasz (spell?);  he'll know what it is.
He claims in 100 builds, he's never heard that noise before. Ever!

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2017, 08:42:25 AM »
Try it in your bedroom into the Jotty, that way it's a different wall socket, pre, output etc. If it does the same then it's the DAC.
Truth is I've lost a little confidence in the Lampy, not sure I want to connect it to my kit till I know it's been given a clean bill of health.  I've another HPA I'll plug it into as it's a lot cheaper to replace.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2017, 09:12:35 AM »
Evan,

Can you take your Joty to your rack, use same power / interconnect cables and try Joty as Pre to compare or test with headphones.

Although you have already tested SE from Yggy to ATC SCA pre.
I just connected it to the Aurelia using same interconnects ... same outcome ... switched interconnects ... same noise....

Offline gavinbirss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2017, 09:28:52 AM »
I just connected it to the Aurelia using same interconnects ... same outcome ... switched interconnects ... same noise....

Evan,
If it is present on both left and right still I can only agree it is related to the Lampi.

If only in one channel can it not perhaps be a triode/tube in the Lampi? Not knowing the specific spec of unit and tubes used it is only a thought.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2017, 09:44:46 AM »
Evan,
If it is present on both left and right still I can only agree it is related to the Lampi.

If only in one channel can it not perhaps be a triode/tube in the Lampi? Not knowing the specific spec of unit and tubes used it is only a thought.

It's in both channels, on my main rig as well as the HPA.

I've moved the Lampi and HPA to my dining room - different DB to listening room.  Ensuring power and signal cables not close to one another nor running parallel, hooking up ORDOID-C2 wia Wi-Fi, still USB into Lampi.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2017, 10:17:09 AM »
Man, I'm getting weird results with this damned thing.  I hooked up an ODROID via Wi-Fi, USB into the Lampi and then turning the volume pot from around -5dB towards 0dB on the Lampi you clearly hear the pot clicking over and the resonance of the clicking through the faceplate in the cans.  Eish  :be:  Power Lampi down and power it up again.

Press play in Roon, now the noise is gone.  So what's solved the problem ... a wireless endpoint or moving to a different location in the house that's not electrically coupled to my main rig?  Next I'll run an Ethernet connection from switch to dining room and run the ODROID wired to see if that reintroduces any issues.  But bloody hell, what a fiddly process getting this thing to play music.

So, assuming it's now stable I'm reduced to listening in the dining room using cans.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 10:19:37 AM by Rotten Johnny »

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+54)
  • Pioneer sm-83
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2017, 10:17:43 AM »
Your system is too revealing..just accept murky grey instead of inky black?... :coffee:
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2017, 10:24:39 AM »
Press play in Roon, now the noise is gone.  So what's solved the problem ... a wireless endpoint or moving to a different location in the house that's not electrically coupled to my main rig?  Next I'll run an Ethernet connection from switch to dining room and run the ODROID wired to see if that reintroduces any issues.  But bloody hell, what a fiddly process getting this thing to play music.

So, assuming it's now stable I'm reduced to listening in the dining room using cans.
Oops, scrap that...the noise is still there, it's just drowned out by the music.  Turn the HPA up enough and that noise is right back at you.

I think that's enough time and effort spent trying to get it to play nice.  It's faulty or it's noisy, which I'm not sure.  Definitely not the kind of itch I want to scratch.

Hopefully there'll be a round 2, once this DAC's been looked at and given a clean bill of health.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2017, 10:54:47 AM »
Hooked it up with ODROID wired to switch and went about listening.  Now it's clean again.  WTH is going on.  I put Lampi into standby then start it up again... now the metal ringing is back when you turn the volume pot towards 0dB.  Another thing that's clear is the Lampi has quite a noise floor - stop the music, turn it to 0dB and turn up the volume on the HPA ... the hum is quite evident.  Put the Lampi in standby and the hum all but disappears.

I want to get some listening done... So I dial it down to -11 and do some listening to Ruth Moody and a few other tracks via the HPA.

How does it sound?  Ignoring the problems I've experienced, it sounds good, but nothing exceptional. There's nothing about its sound that stands out and wows me. If its noise issues were resolved I could probably live with it, but at its price point I'd expect a hell of a lot more, and none of the issues described herein.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 11:00:07 AM by Rotten Johnny »

Offline xumbug

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2017, 11:45:23 AM »
Why hasn't the infamous Audiotweaker dialed in yet?
SDA Acoustics loudspeakers, Audio Research Ref 3 Pre amp and Ref 210 power amps, Bel Canto VB3.5 Dac, Pathos Endorphin cd player, squeeze box touch.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2017, 11:59:31 AM »
Chris, there's a dropbox link to the recording earlier in the thread.

Both the Vivere and the Yggy are dead silent using same interconnects and power to same SE input on preamp.

Well, that is the strangest noise I ever did hear.  I think you should get Lucasz email address and forward him the link, or maybe Ramsey can do it.  They are in frequent communication

Just because the previous 100 odd models didn't show a fault, does not mean one can surface.  It is not a design fault, or would have shown up in previous examples.  The one we listened to at Ramsey's house had a completely silent background, we spent 4 hours listening with a variety of music