Author Topic: LampizatOr Atlantic ... no contest  (Read 3796 times)

Offline Francois

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+33)
    • Audio Exchange
Re: LampizatOr Atlantic ... no contest
« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2017, 12:27:26 PM »
Have a level 4+ here at home.... Very very good DAC. I have to use an USB2SPDIF and would you believe it they sound different ?

Be that as it may.... I can live with this piece of kit.
I was born analog, not digit by digit....

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2017, 01:20:30 PM »
Ramsey has an open invitation to bring that LampizatOr back to my place with his team in attendance. I'd have loved to hear what it's capable of.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline audiotweaker

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Owner of Audio Tweak and LampizatOr local agent.
    • Audio Tweak
« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2017, 01:48:47 PM »
Have a level 4+ here at home.... Very very good DAC. I have to use an USB2SPDIF and would you believe it they sound different ?

Be that as it may.... I can live with this piece of kit.

It was great visiting JHB, I see you wrote an amazing review here! https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,61225.0.html

Take care and looking forward to visiting soon!

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2017, 09:49:44 AM »
I had to go see my folks on Saturday afternoon and given they're not far from Francois' place I collected my can cables from Hi-Phibian then popped in to listen to the fabled DAC en-route to my folks.  I had to be quick for fear Ramsey would get wind and instruct Francois to hide the LampizatOr under lock and key.  For starters, it worked, volume at 0dB, connected via USB fed from JRiver through a USB hub. Great, now I could listen without crickets fornicating in the fibreglass.

Francois' setup isn't able to do A/B switching as it can only feed a single DAC at a time (it's time for Roon Francois).  We started with the Atlantic then switched to the XDS1 and later on back to the Atlantic again.  Quick impressions: it's musical and has a large, but warm and bloomy soundstage compared with that of the XDS1, which to me sounded more neutral and more detailed, without being clinical. For those of us that like a warm sound the Atlantic is likely to tickle your fancy. All a matter of tastes I guess.

Pity there's no interest in ascertaining why the crickets were fornicating on two different amplifiers in two different rooms.  Pity also the microphonics emanating from the volume dial resonating in the faceplate when listening via cans.  The Atlantic either has an intermittent issue or there's something about my audio chain (in addition to my person) it doesn't like, which I guess we'll never know.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline scrarfussi

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Quantum In Me Fuit
« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2017, 11:21:59 AM »
Ahh I knew it
suum cuique pulchrum est

"I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2017, 03:30:56 PM »
Pity there's no interest in ascertaining why the crickets were fornicating on two different amplifiers in two different rooms.

Were you on another electrical phase as well, in the second room?

Some years ago we had to sort out a customer's two-way radio. It worked 100% in our workshops, but was very unhappy at the client's home. We eventually traced the problem to a municipal electrical DB outside the client's home. The DB had faulty contact breakers which were arcing thus drowning out the incoming RF signals to the radio. Municipality replaced these and all was good once more.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/