Author Topic: LampizatOr Atlantic ... no contest  (Read 3797 times)

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
LampizatOr Atlantic ... no contest
« on: January 13, 2017, 10:46:37 PM »
Having read a lot of hype about the LampizatOr DACs I wanted to give one a listen to hear what all the fuss is about and whether or not it would create an itch that needs scratching.  To that end I organized to demo the Lampizator Atlantic courtesy of Audio Tweak / Ramsey and Joel of 13Hof.

My SCA2 preamp has two balanced and a number of SE inputs. I use Roon as my music server and front end and make use of ODROID C1 SOC devices running Roon Bridge as endpoints to stream audio from Roon Server to the DACs via USB.  This gave me the opportunity to hook up my Schiit Yggdrasil, Vivere and the LampizatOr side by side, group them in Roon and stream to all 3 simultaneously. Volume matching was done by measuring pink noise played back on each of the DACs.

Setting the DACs up in Roon the first thing I noticed is that the LampizatOr uses the same USB chipset manufacturer as that in the Vivere, viz. Amanero. Whilst the Vivere USB identifies itself as Vivere Audio, and the Yggy as Schiit Audio Gen 3 USB Audio, the LampizatOr simply presents itself as Combo384 Amanero.

Following grouping in Roon and letting the LampizatOr warm up for 30 mins it was time to get some listening in.  I had no idea what to expect from the LampizatOr, only that by all accounts it should sound great and get me itching.

I'm not quite sure how to say this, but the audition ended a lot sooner than I'd anticipated. I queued Marianne Thorsen/TrondheimSolistene Mozart: Violin Concerto No. 4 in D major K. 218 and pressed play...starting with the Yggdrasil as the selected input.  It's a great piece, full of dynamics and detail, soft and loud passages and Thorsen's terrific violin interplay with a small orchestra. Anyhow, about a minute in I switch to the LampizatOr using my preamp's remote.  My initial thoughts ... there's a slight change in tonality and downscale of soundstage, nothing dramatic or earth shattering to note, but it still sounds pretty good. About a minute in something starts bugging me, there's something different about what I'm hearing but I can't figure out what it is.  It's like there's something extra in the music going on I've not heard before.  I listen a little longer then get up and walk to one of the speakers wondering whether I'm hearing or imagining something.  Yip, there's something there, muddying proceedings.  A quieter passage starts and there it is - an electrical noise, so I pause playback and there it is clear as day. Crap!

I switch inputs to the Yggdrasil and there's dead silence.  Switch back to the LampizatOr and the noise is back. 

As I rarely use my preamp's SE inputs I wondered whether there was an issue with the preamp.  Turned off the LampizatOr and switched its SE interconnects to the Yggy - again nothing but silence from the Yggy.   So, I have to assume the LampizatOr is faulty and continuing to listen to it is pointless.  A disappointing start. 

A short chat with Ramsey and it's suggested there may be a ground loop...remove earth and try again. Reluctantly, I find a plug, remove earth from plug header and power up the LampizatOr again.  Switch inputs on the pre back to the LampizatOr and it's still there. Crap^2, I'm fresh out of options...

Hope to be able to pick this up again once the unit's been inspected.  For those curious as to the sound, I recorded it using my iPhone.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 08:25:06 PM by Rotten Johnny »
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Brent C

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Member
Re: LampizatOr Atlantic ... no contest
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 10:58:49 PM »
Wow this really is disappointing.

I can't see how you could have a ground loop in your room causing this. If you did then your other components would surely have the same issues?

Did you try other inputs? Could it be that the LampizatOr is giving issues on the USB input?

Can you share the link with the noise?

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 11:01:20 PM »
^^^ haven't tried other inputs, I'd be using USB and my Roon endpoints are running USB out.

Audio is here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cnlkwgqneddwn0g/AAD9qqbezlepND0vmev_ts9oa?dl=0
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 11:12:15 PM by Rotten Johnny »
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+61)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 11:22:30 PM »
That's not ground loop noise.  Sounds like interference, but not RF. Could be interconnects. Capacitance or too close to a nearby SMPS.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 11:24:43 PM »
Same interconnects fine with Yggy and Vivere, in same location. Will try others.

Offline xumbug

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 11:41:42 PM »
How very disappointing, especially regarding all the hype around the Lampizator DAC's. Cant wait to "hear" the outcome.
SDA Acoustics loudspeakers, Audio Research Ref 3 Pre amp and Ref 210 power amps, Bel Canto VB3.5 Dac, Pathos Endorphin cd player, squeeze box touch.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 11:45:52 PM »
I'm going to move my Hi-Fi rack a little further from the plugpoint - as Mike says, could be a switch mode power supply - there are 3 in the vicinity of the DAC, but the Vivere has always occupied the same location and never presented any difficulties.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 05:53:09 AM by Rotten Johnny »

Offline scrarfussi

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Quantum In Me Fuit
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 12:42:11 AM »
lets face it
the dac is so good it brings out any issues with your power  :ROFLMAO:
suum cuique pulchrum est

"I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+61)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 01:26:43 AM »
Or it's so ghostly quiet that he can for the first time hear cockroaches fornicating in fibreglass. Sure sounds like it.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 01:32:12 AM »
^^^ haven't tried other inputs, I'd be using USB and my Roon endpoints are running USB out.

Audio is here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cnlkwgqneddwn0g/AAD9qqbezlepND0vmev_ts9oa?dl=0

Never heard any thing like that in RJ's set up before and we have done a number of DAC AB's using the same set up described.

:thinking: RJ try the digital out of your CDP to the Lamp and also try hooking it up to your Spendies/Predator set up and see if its the same  :nfi:

The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 06:17:36 AM »
^^^ all that sounds like work...rearranging the rack, carrying DACs around the house etc.  This should be a plug and play experience.  Best I will do is take the Aurelia HPA to the same room and plug both in next to the chair so there's nothing anywhere close by that could be a source of interference.

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 07:39:59 AM »
Are you not perhaps playing in 'Vinyl' mode.... "snap, cackle, pop"?

Stupid suggestion I know, but try running it using an extension cord from a different AC outlet - i.e. try isolate the power source from the existing outlet. In fact, a different phase if you have 3-phase power.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline gavinbirss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 07:50:02 AM »
Evan,

Can you take your Joty to your rack, use same power / interconnect cables and try Joty as Pre to compare or test with headphones.

Although you have already tested SE from Yggy to ATC SCA pre.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 08:00:20 AM by gavinbirss »

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 08:10:33 AM »
You don't perhaps have an electric fence? Sounds almost as if it is picking up interference from the Energiser.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Brent C

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 08:19:06 AM »
Try it in your bedroom into the Jotty, that way it's a different wall socket, pre, output etc. If it does the same then it's the DAC.

The fact is, all the other devices work straight out the box in your room.