Bob Crites Cornscala's

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winslow

R.I.P. 23 June 2023
Reaction score
Two years almost to the day in coming, the Cornscalas are up and running in my listening room.
For those of you who have never heard of these speakers they are cross between the "Heritage" - Klipsch La Scala and the Klipsch Cornwall.
Having the top end performance of the La Scala with the bass of the Cornwall.

There are 4 styles of this speaker 3 of them are three way's and one a two way
I settled on the two way the style "D". as this is the version that Bob Crites personally prefers.
A note:  to those who have never heard of this fine gentleman, he is the Klipsch  Guru in the states.
He runs a business supplying spares modifying and servicing Klipsch speakers of all ages and sorts.

What made me decide to go down this road and take a chance ; I currently have Vanderssteen 2CE Signatures have been overjoyed with the outstanding performance of these speakers for 9 years. and have yet to hear anything I can afford that equals the musical pleasure these speakers deliver.
Three and a half years ago I obtained a pair of Klipsch KG 4's.
I bunged these in the corner of my listening room and have had many hours of listening fun from them.
Very close to the performance of the Vandersteens ; lacking a bit on the clarity and pin point imaging of the Vandies but have a very dynamic and punchy sound signature. they just put a smile on my face and they go loud with out any sign of distortion and distress being 94 db, the Vandies are an easy drive at 87 db but they hit a wall in the volume stakes. Loud enough for a sane person but I am a bit of a loud freak.

Now what ; what is better than a KG 4, off to the Klipsch community (OK Klipsch Horns no chance) next on the scale - the Cornwall no complaints from any body anywhere on the net about these speakers.  Can I get some in this country, no way no chance.
What comes close to the Cornwall - the Cornscala, from all opinions and the number of guys in the world of Klipsch who have them, this is the route to go. The opinion of those who know Klipsch Heritage speakers is that the Cornscala's are better than the Cornwall's.

Please do not confuse the sound of a Klipsch Heritage or vintage Klipsch's like the KG series or the CF series for example, with the current Klipsch offerings- those tower speakers now on offer designed like all tower speakers (and sounding all much the same IMO) to fit into your home and to keep the ball and chain happy. Modern Klipsch speakers given the right amplification and source can sound very very good even if they may be an acquired taste. Just ask a fan.

Cornscala "D's" (Local Version)
Thanks to two greats of our Audio Community Xumbug and Jim Gore.
Stewart who sourced all the components and Ian who built the cabinets.
These are big speakers and are not realy suitable to plonk down in the lounge each taking up the space of a large armchair.
Drivers:  A pair of Faital Pro HF 140 compression drivers, a pair of Faital Pro LTH 142 Tractrix Horns.
A pair of Faital Pro HF 400 15 inch Drivers and a pair of Bob Cries Crossovers made by B&K sound.
Decided to use the Faital 15 inch over the Crites 15 inch on Stewart's advice which was not a mistake.
Sounded just right on the first listen no fiddling necessary bolt up and play what a pleasure.

Specs:
Have not measured them from all accounts +- 100 db which seems in the ball park certainly a lot more sensitive than the 94 db of the KG 4's.
Size:  Big 23.75 inches wide - 34.25 inches high - 16.25 inches deep.
Have a dedicated listening room so it is no problem plus they are designed to work in the corners or against the wall, not at all fussy with positioning, which is what I wanted.
Build:  What can I say  they are perfect, as anyone who knows Ian's work can attest. He even made grills for them and stands that realy make them look the Biz.
Used 25 mm Norwegian Birch Ply throughout.
Sound: Fantastic, dynamic as all hell, detailed, punchy the bass is tremendous certainly do not need subs with these puppies. Plus they image like Hell.
The tops from those horns?  A bit rough at first, after playing around with amps and having a bit of running time on the new compression drives, now sounding as clean and innocent as the smile on JZ's Mug.
Sound signature much the same as the Vandersteens only punchier more dynamic with better bass. With the added advantage of being easy to set up. Get the Vandies set up wrong and you will be disappointed, plus the Vandies like to be well out in the room.

Source and amplification:  Opera Consonance Cyber 800 Mono Blocks 6CA7 power valves 78 W each.  Line Magnetic 211IA Integrated - EL34.
32 W ultra Linear 12 W Triode.
Audio Research SP 16 pre amp.
Modified Jolida JD 100 CDP - JVC XL-Z431 CDP -  Dennon  DCD 1460 CDP
Rega Planar 2, Goldring 1042 cartridge, Musical Fidelity X-LPS V3 phono stage.
Cables all Van den Dul  :giggle:

Sound on the different amps: This goes against popular belief.
Line Magnetic - in Triode - tad overblown bass sounds great at first but then you start to feel it is a bit much.
In Ultra linear less bass, noticeably so and in both modes the tops are a bit ragged.
The opposite applies to the Vandersteens on this amp in Triode and at only 12 W they are smooth clean and punchy.

On the Operas and the Audio Research- a match made in heaven, cant find any fault to speak of.  Who would have guessed that power made any difference on such a sensitive speaker, three clicks on the pre volume and they are loud, 4 - 5 clicks call the cops.  Fortunately they also sound and work great at low volume on this set up, listened till after 1 a.m. this morning and for 7 hours today at volume with out a hint of fatigue, had to drag myself down stairs.
"What more could this man ask from a speaker"
Pics, sorry cant get my so called smart phone, I call it Mr. Stupid to work with my Pooter.
Will have to get this sorted by somebody who does not have a Ludites view like I have, I do not dig this Tech S@#!
Link:  www.critesspeakers.com
Cost:  more than I was hoping, the Rand tanked just at the right time  :cr@p:
IMHO they perform better than any thing I have heard to date costing 4 times more, and I have heard plenty of costly commercial speakers. As always this is a subjective opinion, any one who thinks one size fits all in this hobby, needs to have a good look at his motives and tone down his ego a bit.

Thanks again to  :notworthy: Stewart and Ian  :clap:  :thumbs:  two years was well worth the wait and it gave me a chance to stash bucks for the day of reckoning.

Anybody who would like to have a listen is more than welcome PM me, I am home all day being retired and reside on the western side of Randburg.