SME TT Boffs

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockit

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi
I've had an SME 15 for over a year now and am not pleased with its speed consistency.
It went back to the factory, came back and often does a "wow" on the speed.
if one checks/sets speed with the the strobe disk it looks good but often when playing its slows and recovers. Sounds like ones playing an off-centred record!

OK. So before going into more detail, could SME owners please let me know how quickly their tables lock to the selected speed and when so, is it a "solid" lock?
I ask because my speed indicator LED flashes on and off for about 15-25 seconds before it locks and then often still flickers thereafter (an obvious indication that the speed isn't locked. This is on 33rpm. On 45 rpm it reaches speed much quicker and does a more "solid" lock. It is also, especially on 33, VERY sensitive to any contact with the platter. I understand that there shouldn't be contact but when I mess around to try figure things out if one makes the slightest contact with the platter the speed indicator flickers on and off. I would expect it not to be so sensitive.

Anyway, as mentioned, I would initially like some input from SME owners to let me know if this behaviour is normal.
This was a very expensive purchase for me and it simply isn't giving me that fuzzy feeling. Not that there's anything wrong with my wife's perceptions but she is even more sensitive/aware of the speed fluctuations. I think i may be trying to ignore them.

Your feedback will be much appreciated. (before I go into all the things I've ruled out as possible causes)

Regards