Speaker build ideas

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimGore

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been very happy with my large and imposing HE speakers for many years now.  So happy in fact that they are still raw wood  :giggle:

Anyway, as these things sometimes work out they have been provisionally sold which now leaves me with the need to build myself something new.

The question is what to do...

I have many drivers. Not many in the conventional sense - I have MANY!!!

It may sound like a great thing to you,  but it actually causes some hardship because it means there are options and more options to the point where it really isn't clear on which direction to follow.  I have been mulling different ideas for a while now and I reckon I should just build 3 pairs.  Perhaps one floorstander box type (maybe TQWT which is after all my favorite), then a small bookshelf and perhaps one dipole (OB) type.

For the floorstanding box type, it will most likely be something built around Seas excel Nextel drivers. I have 8", 5" and millenium tweeters for that project.

For the bookshelf, something like a 5" Scan discovery driver with a 2 or 3" ribbon on top.  Nice and small.

For the dipole, I will use an 18" beyma driver for the bottom end.  Still undecided on whether to use a single 18, or dual 18 in something like a slot loaded configuration.  There are 2 options for the mid and treble.  Either the 8" BMS coax driver, or a 12" midrange and a TPL for treble.

Thoughts?

Kind regards,
Ian.

Latest posts