Author Topic: Squeeze box relevance?  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
Squeeze box relevance?
« on: January 08, 2017, 11:50:11 AM »
I always liked the Squeezebox concept since I first saw those bouncing VU meters. I eventually got one off the forum several years down the line, to use with a Microserver-based storage. That worked for a while, with sluggish Android interface. But I attempted a cleanup that went wrong, and my SB system as been unused for a while, now.

I'm hoping to get it going again and I have been wondering how relevant SB is these days, specifically in relation to streaming services.

Any thoughts?

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline XL1000

Re: Squeeze box relevance?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 11:52:50 AM »
RJ, this is your domain...?
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 12:19:54 PM »
Still very relevant, LMS supports many streaming services.  Download and install Daphile on a decent PC, hook up your SB and you've got your music and streaming services at your fingertips.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 12:34:13 PM »
Have to add LMS is the only streaming software I've come across that's been so versatile and robust that it's gone from strength to strength, adapted to new formats e.g. DSD and continued to flourish. With Squeezelite in the mix you can turn any PC or SOC device into a LMS transport able to stream to any USB capable DAC.  Great remotes for iOS and Android devices. Had Roon not come along I'd still be using LMS and SBT's.

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 01:00:56 PM »
I use one as an endpoint into my system. Compared it to my ministreamer usb to spdif via coaxial
I can AB directly , SB is still exceptional and I prefer it ... I found using optical out of SB quite good , I set up a test where I could switch between the coax and optical out , instant seamless aB...optical "won"
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 02:08:43 PM »
As a recent entrant to the whole LMS / SB thing I love it! SB Classic plus free Squeezer Android remote is all you need to get going. Plus of course a machine to run LMS and some storage space.  Free internet radio and 320kbps Deezer streaming alone would make it worth while!
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Shonver

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 03:47:43 PM »
Thank you, gents! It won't happen soon - as I am just now busy with another project - but I shall certainly let you know how it turns out.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Brent C

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 09:43:50 PM »
The hardware still has relevance. For me the biggest charm is that its plug and play.

You can build your own endpoints using a PI or a C2 but by the time you done (board, dac, case, psu, mem card, wifi dongle) you are close to R2k, certainly with a C2.

If you don't shut your squeezebox down properly it will start up just fine in the morning. The micro SD cards in the C2's and Pi's can get upset.

That said if you do want to fiddle with DIY, you can have fun play the upgrade games with onboard I2S Dacs

Offline Shonver

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 08:27:46 AM »
Thank you, gents. I now have it running as follows:

Squeezebox Classic
MSI small footprint PC with E350IS-E45 MoBo running LMS
USB memoru stick with MP3s plugged into MSI
HP Microserver with some HDs containing music
Squeezer running on my Android phone

I have an issue with LMS not being able to complete the library scan. It seems to be getting stuck at one folder. Any suggestions?

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 09:26:26 AM »
what's the status screen say?

Offline Shonver

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 12:34:09 PM »
Just about to leave for lunch, so I'll give a full report at a later occasion. From the top of my head, though, it was saying scanning and the folder path it was displaying remained the same (it was the folder of one of the albums). The one time it scanned it had been running for 3-and-some hours.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Shonver

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 07:54:43 AM »
Things are not working out with this setup. The message I got, having launched a new (from scratch) library scan, is that the scan was aborted after more than a minute. I suspect it is a problem with my Huawei B315S-936 LTE router. A long-standing problem I am having is that the router continuously makes and breaks connection with the LTE network every few minutes. Whenever the connection is broken, the Wi-Fi network also goes down. The Squeezebox is linked via Wi-Fi. At this point I was contemplating implementing a second old router as my primary Wi-Fi and Ethernet point. However, Windows reported a hard drive problem on my media PC, so now I have to find a new hard drive (it now won't boot up).

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 08:13:19 AM »
It's never a good idea to have both LMS and the SB players on WiFi. If you can, wire the LMS PC and the music source to a switch which in turn connects to your router.

Offline Shonver

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 08:32:52 AM »
It's never a good idea to have both LMS and the SB players on WiFi. If you can, wire the LMS PC and the music source to a switch which in turn connects to your router.

It's only the SB that's on Wi-Fi. But it's the first time I'm using it this way. I'll probably end up with the configuration you recommended.

For now, I am thinking of how to prevent a similar breakdown. That media PC was just sitting on the shelf doing nothing, but powered up. I am considering installing a small SSD. Will 64GB be large enough? It will essentially be Windows 7, a browser (Firefox) and LMS. Will it leave enough space for other related applications (Roon, etc.), given that the music files will live on the microserver?

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 08:48:38 AM »
If you're intending to move to Roon at some point you should definitely use SSD for the database and I'd just go with a 256GB version from the getgo.  64GB isn't a lot of storage if running Windows - the OS' initial footprint will consume a fair chunk of that and following a few updates and restore points you'll soon be near out of room.  Roon's db is a LOT larger than LMS' because it carries much more metadata incl. artwork etc, but a modest library should exist inside 5TB.  Mine's closer to 4x that.