Author Topic: Over ear headphone suggestion  (Read 1609 times)

Offline ernestank

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Member
Re: Over ear headphone suggestion
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 03:17:27 PM »
https://www.audiomart.co.za/product_info.php/sennheiser-hd600-replacement-ear-pads-p-4914

Otherwise email Sennheiser SA directly and they will sort you out (but more expensive last time I checked)

i have set of Vintage HD560 Ovations and am battling to get Sennheiser to supply replacement ear pads... :sd:

Offline grumpybear

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 03:50:24 PM »

Offline Doge

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Recovering Audiophile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 03:52:32 PM »
i have set of Vintage HD560 Ovations and am battling to get Sennheiser to supply replacement ear pads... :sd:

There's the problem, you'd probably need to import.

http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/hifi-tv-headphones/hd-560-ovation/ear-pads-circular-1-pair---black-velour-041299.html

Offline cj

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 05:23:49 PM »
If you lloking at Sennies and Beyers, then you have to add the AKG K702 or Q701 to the mix as well,very light and comfy, with great sound.

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 08:17:28 PM »
beyerdynamic DT990 Pro.

Good recommendation. I recently sold a pair in good nic to itscraig. Maybe ask if he would consider selling on?
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Scubadude

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 10:41:08 PM »
Phillips Fidelio X2 also worth a shout ... incredible bass on those babies! Thomas24 has a pair that may come up for sale soon.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Scubadude

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 06:00:34 PM »

Offline Cuco

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2017, 11:46:00 AM »
I owned the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, DT1990 Pro and the DT880 premium for a short period. The DT770 and DT990, produced a bass rattle at very low frequency (heavy base, hip hop type music). I assume that the diaphram is not made for that kind of music or that I had a faulty device. However it seems to be a common ocurence if you google it. The DT770's are closed headphones, litlle sound stage, the bass is more pronounced / distorts slightly and overshadows the music experience a bit in my view. It is subjective though, some people like it. The DT990 is open, has good sound stage, great headphones but not made for heavy bass either. Also, you can't listen to an open headphones while the family is watching TV for instance. It leaks sound inwards and outwards. The DT880 is in between DT990 and DT770, it is said to be semi-open, nice headphones but are very flat, not dynamic enough for me. The T1 is great but costs 3-4 times more.

Some people in this forum may disagree but the best headphones in the R2500 range is the Audiotechnica M50x. I personally have the M70x, I listen to it straight from the iphone, it has 35 mohm impedance. It is very accurate, does not distort, it has a bit too much treble and it sometimes sounds non-musical / non-harmonious, too detailed, you loose the melody  :). I personally like it, but some people may hate it.     
GAS and OCD

Offline Tonteldoos

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2017, 11:12:02 AM »
I'm replying to this a bit late... But FWIW, if you're looking to buy new in that range, I can highly recommend the Sennheiser HD 598 SE. They are about R4000 on Takealot and $250 on Sennheiser's site. Those prices seem fair...

However... I bought mine for $100 on an Amazon Black Friday special while on a business trip, and they are still only $150 on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0126HISOO).

So if you have a way of getting them into the country (like when you or someone you know is travelling), you'll be getting quite a bargain.

For the price, I thought there must be something wrong with them, but it was too good a deal to pass on. And they have blown me away. Super comfortable, and incredibly open and airy sound. And that's with compressed music and no DAC or headphone amp.

Offline canman1971

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2017, 09:23:21 PM »
Senn HD600 or HD650 :thumbs: if on a low budget Philips SHP9500, only drawback is the cable, I upgraded my cable to a V- Moda.

Online Nidri

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Don't panic.
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2017, 11:08:07 PM »
I'm replying to this a bit late... But FWIW, if you're looking to buy new in that range, I can highly recommend the Sennheiser HD 598 SE. They are about R4000 on Takealot and $250 on Sennheiser's site. Those prices seem fair...

However... I bought mine for $100 on an Amazon Black Friday special while on a business trip, and they are still only $150 on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0126HISOO).

R3,687 on Importitall

https://www.importitall.co.za/Sennheiser-HD-598-Special-Edition-OverEar-Headphones--Black-ap-B0126HISOO.html

Offline rhettyj

• AVForums Member
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 11:53:38 AM »
I'd be willing so sell my new version (better connectors than original) He-400i for that price. Shoot me a pm if you're interested!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Offline thenoizeguy

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 10:14:01 PM »
Second the ATH M50x. I have 3 pairs for monitoring purposes. prefer them to Senn HD 280/380. The Sony 7506 comes a close second for me, it doesn't isolate as well, but is lighter and more comfortable.

I personally find Sennheiser build quality and durability to be pretty :cr@p:.

They are the only brand I have that break or deteriorate and rot within a year.  AT, Sony and Beyer Dynamic  ( the others I have )  stay in good condition and handle the knocks.

Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.