Squeezebox newbie questions

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubadude

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
So as not to clutter up the "Best of Squeezebox" thread I thought I'd post my questions here as I go along ... thanking everyone in advance for their expert advice  :)

So here goes ...

1. Tried to go all wireless as a party trick but a little less than satisfactory.  Running LMS on wi-fi, as well as the SBT and two Android Squeezer controllers I experienced a one or two second dropout every so often, especially on HD music.  Whenever I tried doing something bandwidth intensive on the laptop or even basic navigation on the SBT or one of the controllers.  Not too sure if this is due to the NAS grappling with conflicting priorities or wifi congestion at the router, the results were dissapointing.  not exemplary.  Stopped one instance of Squeezer and put the Touch on Ethernet and the problems seemed to dissappear.  I am adding another Squeezebox some time next week which will have to run on wi-fi, further increasing resource demands.  So clearly I need a few changes ...

2. Another issue is I cannot get sampling rates higher than 96kHz on SPDIF coax or Toslink ... I installed the Enhanced Digital Output but no luck. Restarted SBT and LMS, still no luck.  Any ideas?

3. Having JRiver installed on the same machine that runs LMS allows for a comparison of the the laptops's USB out to the SBT's coax and optical outs.  All three into the Wadia 121, and synching playback on LMS and Jriver.  To my ears the Squeezebox definately squeezes some dynamics and detail and layering and texture and air from the music.  Everything is just a little less focused, a little more congested.  The Jriver > USB > Wadia 121 chain sounds significantly better than SBT > toslink > 121 or SBT > coax > 121 (interestingly toslink and coax are indistiguishable).  I know Wadia has published a ranking of the 121's inputs, where they claim the USB input has the best sound, followed by AES, then coax, then toslink.  So not sure if this has any impact.  Has anyone else done similar back-to-back listening?  Sidenote ... inverted phase on the 121 and this made the SBT chain sound a bit better ... does the Touch invert phase?  Can it be set somewhere?

Latest posts