Author Topic: Squeezebox newbie questions  (Read 704 times)

Online Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
Squeezebox newbie questions
« on: January 01, 2017, 10:42:59 PM »
So as not to clutter up the "Best of Squeezebox" thread I thought I'd post my questions here as I go along ... thanking everyone in advance for their expert advice  :)

So here goes ...

1. Tried to go all wireless as a party trick but a little less than satisfactory.  Running LMS on wi-fi, as well as the SBT and two Android Squeezer controllers I experienced a one or two second dropout every so often, especially on HD music.  Whenever I tried doing something bandwidth intensive on the laptop or even basic navigation on the SBT or one of the controllers.  Not too sure if this is due to the NAS grappling with conflicting priorities or wifi congestion at the router, the results were dissapointing.  not exemplary.  Stopped one instance of Squeezer and put the Touch on Ethernet and the problems seemed to dissappear.  I am adding another Squeezebox some time next week which will have to run on wi-fi, further increasing resource demands.  So clearly I need a few changes ...

2. Another issue is I cannot get sampling rates higher than 96kHz on SPDIF coax or Toslink ... I installed the Enhanced Digital Output but no luck. Restarted SBT and LMS, still no luck.  Any ideas?

3. Having JRiver installed on the same machine that runs LMS allows for a comparison of the the laptops's USB out to the SBT's coax and optical outs.  All three into the Wadia 121, and synching playback on LMS and Jriver.  To my ears the Squeezebox definately squeezes some dynamics and detail and layering and texture and air from the music.  Everything is just a little less focused, a little more congested.  The Jriver > USB > Wadia 121 chain sounds significantly better than SBT > toslink > 121 or SBT > coax > 121 (interestingly toslink and coax are indistiguishable).  I know Wadia has published a ranking of the 121's inputs, where they claim the USB input has the best sound, followed by AES, then coax, then toslink.  So not sure if this has any impact.  Has anyone else done similar back-to-back listening?  Sidenote ... inverted phase on the 121 and this made the SBT chain sound a bit better ... does the Touch invert phase?  Can it be set somewhere?
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
Re: Squeezebox newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 04:25:50 AM »
Ensure the machine running LMS is wired to that containing the tunes. Players can be wireless as long as signal is decent and has sufficient bandwidth.

When you installed EDO, did the Touch reboot and show EDO installed?
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 05:20:54 AM »
I would agree with RJ,run the LMS server on a wired network connection and the players on WiFi.

Yip when you boot the SBT it should show a message like EDO unsupported by Logitech.

Try scroll through the menu and select the digital only output.This effectively disables the RCA analogue outputs and should then give you upto 192 on co-ax & USB

The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline CAD

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 05:33:19 AM »
Do try the the SBT USB out on the Wadia 121.Fantastic DAC that and one of the better DAC/Pre Amps I have tried
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Brent C

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 05:27:27 PM »
Slow to the draw but EDO and the USB output will do the hi res trick.

I have played with different configs from i7 devices to a microserver running lms and all worked perfectly. 

Lms is happiest as others have mentioned on wire. I found running lms on a Mac and files on a nas worked just fine too. Initially if the nas has spun the drives down there could be a delay but then it's smooth sailing once the nas has woke up.

Online Scubadude

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 04:05:30 PM »
Thans for the quick answers - much appreciated!

Right ... got the USB output working and there is significantly better definition in the sound compared to SPDIF (on the Wadia 121 at least).  Also I wired up the LMS machine to the NAS and put the SBT on wifi - ran all night  without a glitch so seems to have cured the problem.

Just received my second Squeezebox (a Classic) this morning so looking forward to getting the full ecosystem working properly with a dedicated LMS computer.  Only known problem remaining is the battery killer Samsung Mediaserver app that destroys the battery in less than an hour and seems to be running while Squeezer is up.

I am hellavu impressed by how easy these devices are to get running and use ... the combination of sound quality, functionality, simplicity and value is not matched by anything on the market presently.  Maybe Roon will evolve to offer this and more (although Roon has a fundamentally different business model and I do not see it being able to compete on value ... the other aspects I can well see it do as well or better).

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 04:13:39 PM »
Maybe Roon will evolve to offer this and more (although Roon has a fundamentally different business model and I do not see it being able to compete on value ... the other aspects I can well see it do as well or better).
Apart from plugins I don't think there's anything LMS does today that Roon doesn't.  Your Squeezeboxen can be turned into Roon endpoints just by enabling Squeezebox support in Roon.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Online fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 04:38:13 PM »
Only known problem remaining is the battery killer Samsung Mediaserver app that destroys the battery in less than an hour and seems to be running while Squeezer is up.
Depending on Android version, you might be able to disable that (or any other) app.
I ran Squeezer the whole day on my phones (Huawei 7 or 9-Lite) this past week, never noticed any effect on battery usage at all.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Online Scubadude

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 07:58:16 PM »
Mediaserver battery drain is a know problem on Samsung Galaxy. Managed to download a Medserver Killer app which seems to do the job.

Next issue: SBT works like a charm. Classic on the other hand gives me "Problem: Can't open file for .... " messages.  It is exactlu the same setup I used for the Touch but somewhere somehow something is not cooperating. Where do I start looking?

Online Scubadude

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 09:36:54 PM »
Brainfade ... LMS had not connected to the NAS. Working perfectly now :)

Online Scubadude

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 06:29:31 AM »
Allright ... things are taking shape nicely.  Sourced an old cheapie laptop to turn into a dedicated LMS server.  Aiming for a very light install so most likely will be running Daphile.  Would this setup allow me to run Squeezelite or simialr on the same laptop to use as an additional endpoint, playing through a suitable USB DAC, and using Squeezer or similar as controller?  What's the story with ALSA drivers? 

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 06:42:51 AM »
Yes to both. You can add the LocalPlayer plugin to install Squeezelite.  There's no story with ALSA drivers, it's the os' sound architecture and there's nothing you need to do with it. Any DAC with properly implemented asynchronous USB will just work.

Online Scubadude

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 08:32:00 PM »
Not getting better than 44.1 or 48 kHz on the Wadia 121 despite EDO and hi-res tunes. Doing something wrong?

Offline CAD

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 08:38:53 PM »
 :thinking: Something not lekker

I got upto 192 on the Wadia 121 using usb from SBT.

You have gone to audio settings a selected digital only output or the actual Wadia 121 DAC(USB) from there ?

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 10:09:52 PM »
Yup, make sure you've set outputs to digital only