Author Topic: Yellow Tail Fish Taste  (Read 4151 times)

Offline Juggy

Re: Yellow Tail Fish Taste
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 12:47:34 PM »
Yellowtail, like tuna doesn't need any foils etc.

I cook them with olive oil, salt and pepper. I have also seen it done with jimmys sauce.

Whether it needs it or not is irrelevant, the taste and method will determine the process and whether or not foil is required or not.

Beef fillet doesn't require foil either but it can be cooked quite nicely in foil.

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 01:09:56 PM »
Whenever I 'braai' a fish in foil, I wonder if I should just rather have put it in the oven.

All that lovely wood smoke flavour going to waste.

Offline Juggy

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2017, 01:17:58 PM »
Whenever I 'braai' a fish in foil, I wonder if I should just rather have put it in the oven.

All that lovely wood smoke flavour going to waste.

Take it out of the foil at the end and rest it on the grid for a minute or two besides, one never has only fish do they? There should be roasties in the fire, a garlic break or two, some chops and wors for the kids.

One type of meat on a fire, never heard of it before  :giggle:

Offline santoshlv426

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2017, 01:40:21 PM »
Well I want to thank everyone for their feedback, and mine is that I'll never be able to put it to use as I decided not to buy the Yellowtail. Still available, but one has to buy the whole fish ! Bit of a waste as half is lost in gutting/cleaning.
But if anyone's looking for this in the Centurion area, it's at Southdowns.
I'd give anything for cheap Butterfish though !

Offline BWS

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep calm and play Fortnite
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 05:35:49 PM »
Isn't fish a bit delicate for a BBQ heat ? Or is it all wrapped and smoked. Any fat added to the fish - eg oil/butter before it hit's the coals ?

Tuna, Yellowtail, snoek, swordfish are all oily fish and very suited to a braai heat albeit lower heat
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2017, 10:27:28 PM »
Well I want to thank everyone for their feedback, and mine is that I'll never be able to put it to use as I decided not to buy the Yellowtail. Still available, but one has to buy the whole fish ! Bit of a waste as half is lost in gutting/cleaning.
But if anyone's looking for this in the Centurion area, it's at Southdowns.
I'd give anything for cheap Butterfish though !

if it's that fresh it needs gutting and cleaning I'd suggest sashimi or cerviche.  Dead easy, once gutted and cleaned, fillet and skin then cut some nice slices and either douse with lime juice (and leave for twenty mins) or get the soy, wasabi and pickled ginger out and dig in.
The Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways.  The point, however, is to change it.