Author Topic: Old Soap can help greatly !!!  (Read 6790 times)

Offline SandManZA

Old Soap can help greatly !!!
« on: August 30, 2012, 04:44:33 PM »
Hello there,
Have you ever given much thought to the bits of soap that remain after you use a bar of soap? You know the thin sliver that slips through your soap dish/holder or slips out of your hand before you can even get a lather going!
Hold that thought! ( it's an annoying thought, I know but bear with me)

Last Saturday my husband and I went to Ebony Park in Midrand to visit a lady called Lillian who runs a nonprofit organization for orphaned children. As you can imagine, it was a difficult scene to take in. Lillian provides food and clothing for about 200 orphaned children in Ebony Park. The center is too small for shelter, so the children go home each evening to their parent-less homes. However for 6 days a week (after school) Lillian and her group of ladies make sure the children have food to eat, a place to do their homework, play or read a book.

Lillian told me many heartbreaking stories and many stories that spoke to how the community cares for one another with the little resources that they have but when I asked how we could help - of all the usual things that you would expect to be needed at a place like this (food, clothes, books), the thing that stuck out the most to me was when she said "even old soap". Of course in my ignorance, I didn't know what she meant and so I asked her to explain. Lillian went on to explain that the she and the women who help her, boil down bits of old soap to make bars of soap for the children so that they can take a bath with soap.

I left the center almost in tears but determined to help in some way. I thought about asking you to collect all those annoying little bits of soap, that we all ultimately throw away, but then I thought how much is a bar of soap really? R5-R7 each?
Iíve decided to collect new soap bars for Lillian's kids and I would like to ask you all to help me in my soap drive. My aim is to collect 250 bars of soap by September 15th. If you or anyone you know feels that they could help by donating a bar or two of soap, please let me or one of the people below know. We can arrange for you to drop the soap off with one of us or or I can pick it up from you.
I know it's a small start - but it's a start. In the future Iím hoping to hold a few for drives like this one but for now Iíd like to make the necessity of taking a bath with soap a reality for these children.

Lillian's center is called Rea Gola and it means "we are growing". Let's help them grow!!

Thank you for your time & hopefully support!
Sharlene

Contacts:
Sharlene Solomon sharlene.solomon@gmail.com
Tosh Govender tosh172.sg@gmail.com
Samantha Solomon-Balraj samantha.solomon@gmail.com

PS. Please like/follow the Rea Gola Soap Drive on Facebook &/ Google+.
www.facebook.com/ReaGolaMidrand
https://plus.google.com/108600214826984477167
I will be posting regular updates on the soap count!

Offline Andrew

Re: Old Soap can help greatly !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 06:00:52 PM »
Hi Sandman,

A good cause and I wil lhelp where I can, but please read the rules for this forum? You have jumped an important step.  :teach:
Don't judge me for being quiet - no one plans a murder aloud.

Offline BWS

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep calm and play Fortnite
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline Schalk

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 09:53:43 PM »
Is it possible that RED TAPE can and has killed another good cause? If not, can the MODS please do the introductions and paperwork and give this a polite nod and OK, or should this all just happen as PM's to the given addresses?

Offline CORY

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 04:53:44 PM »
Is it possible that RED TAPE can and has killed another good cause? If not, can the MODS please do the introductions and paperwork and give this a polite nod and OK, or should this all just happen as PM's to the given addresses?

No, Schalk.
The rule makes sense and is not red tape
I wish that all the apparently good causes I come across each day, from the internet to the traffic light, can be moderated. I can then give with confidence
Cory Voigt
'In sweet music is such art,
Killing care and grief of heart
    Fall asleep, or hearing die.'

Offline Andrew

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 07:05:29 PM »
It's not the cause that is in question, as it seems a good one, but we need to control/choose these posts, else the forum could be swamped with such queries.

But more than anything, it's a simple request that members READ the rules. Which is really not asking too much, I think. Sandman has posted this, against the rules, and so far as I am aware, has not bothered to contact AVF Admin with an explanation as to why he posted against very clear guidelines.

Offline skollie

• R.I.P.
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth.
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 07:38:35 PM »
To the OP:

No soap is wasted here. When I come to a small, useless sliver of soap, I gave it a few whacks with the bristle side of a nailbrush. And I do the same with the new bar of soap. Press the two together and they don't come apart. When the soap sandwich comes to its end, just whack it again with the bristles of the nailbrush and the savings repeat itself.

It's an old Corleone habit :BWAHAHAH:

mafioso
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline Atjan

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 09:40:57 PM »
OK, Sandman Entered and got moered. Now I guess we can go ahead and get some soap to people who can use it.
It's only hifi people....

Offline ghostinthemachine

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 11:13:38 PM »
Thinking out loud... Isnt there some form of health risk by trading 'old/used soap'?

This from a Health and Safety point of view (OHSA).
Inactive

Offline Schalk

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 06:41:14 AM »
I think maybe the idea really is to give healhy new bars of soap. It does not really take a lot of money to get some bars into your shopping basket next time around at the mall.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 11:03:08 AM »
I think maybe the idea really is to give healhy new bars of soap. It does not really take a lot of money to get some bars into your shopping basket next time around at the mall.

+1 Yes, that's how I read it.

Offline Audioperv

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 02:44:36 PM »

Offline Atjan

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 03:27:11 PM »
Is this still going on? I've got some (new!) that I can move along.
It's only hifi people....