Old Topic Revisited: Active Monitor Speakers

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostinthemachine

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Active monitor loudspeakers is a common utility in the studio environment. Rarely seen in domestic settings.

Active monitor speakers solves and causes a few problems in one go:

• Solves - No amplifier needed as each speaker houses its own "tailor-made" amplifier (in most cases each driver has a dedicated amplifier)

Creates - Pre-amplifier needed

The past few days I had the opportunity to listen to a set of KRK V8 active monitors (in a fairly "domestic" environment. In other words: not in an acoustical perfect control room). I was simply amazed from the first few lines of music radiated by the set of speakers. It surely makes you rethink the hi-fi approach.

One thing to keep in mind about "studio" monitors is that they are designed for fairly accurate response. In the control room they must be able to act as an "acoustically transparent window" to the live room. They are also required to perform at elevated SPL levels.

Delving into this "obscure" subject I discovered that very decent active monitors are available at very reasonable prices.
Example: http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/products/a3x/technical-data

The ADAM A3X can be had for as little as R2500 per unit. These little speakers are apparently marvelous. I have heard larger ADAM monitors and their ribbon tweeters are really a treat!

A3X.jpg

Since the cost of the amplifier is already included in the price of the speakers it saves time and money in the long run to find a perfect match (between speakers and amplifier). A pre-amplifier need not be that great an issue since the market is littered with a variety of units ranging from minimalist tube units to incredibly complex solid-state surround-sound units. Most active monitors can be bought separately and thus you can build up a set of monitors for a surround-sound system according to the number of channels you are aiming at running.

Just makes sense at the end of the day. What is your opinion?

Latest posts