Author Topic: Platinum Audio Solo Bookshelves (PAS) and Stands  (Read 2398 times)

Offline PAPPA3

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Nakamichi Banana Plugs In Stock
Platinum Audio Solo Bookshelves (PAS) and Stands
« on: December 02, 2016, 04:08:15 PM »
The best bookshelf I have had, barring only the Monitor Audio PL100s.  They beat B&W 805s - easily same HF and midrange, but PAS had much better bass.  Tweeter and midrange is sublime.  This has got to be the ideal cross between a bookshelf size and floorstanding size speaker.  Honestly I have had 8 sets of speakers up against them and it has always been an easy decision to keep the PAS.  Only coveat is that they need a minimum of 100watts clean power to come to life.  Put it there and you will be well rewarded.

These have been a set of speakers that have staid with me the longest, and that says a lot.

Includes bookshelves AND stands.  The stands are lead-shot filled and weight about 20-25kg each.

The bookshelves can be bolted to the stands or they have spikes that screw onto them and can be  mounted on the stands.

R13500 includes the bookshelves, matching stands, mounting spikes and bolts to bolt speakers to stands.  Bear in mind the price includes stands.  Original price was U$3000!  On gumtree when I put it up the price will be R15000-00, not negotiable

Exactly as here:  http://audio-database.com/PLATINUM/speaker/solo-e.html

These details from: http://www.stereophile.com/content/platinum-audio-solo-loudspeaker-specifications#esdFkxJAJPE8XheQ.97

"Description: Two-way, reflex-loaded, stand-mounted loudspeaker. Drive-units: 1" (25mm) metal-dome tweeter, 5" metal-cone woofer. Crossover frequency: not specified. Frequency response: not specified. Sensitivity: 84dB/W/m (2.83V). Nominal impedance: 6 ohms. Amplifier requirements: 100200W.

Dimensions: 13.75" (349mm) H by 8.1" (206mm) W by 13" (330mm) D. Weight: 26.5 lbs (12kg) each.

Price: $2497.50/pair (1995); no longer available (2006) (matching Pedestal stands cost $499/pair)."

« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 04:13:20 PM by PAPPA3 »

Offline PAPPA3

• Commercial Member
Re: Platinum Audio Solo Bookshelves (PAS) and Stands
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 04:21:31 PM »

Bottoms up

Offline grammadoelas

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
  • Stringin' along with the Grammadoelas Prairie Dogs
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 06:00:56 PM »
I concur with seller's sentiments. The Platinum Audio Solo Bookshelves are truly marvellous. Kids own a set of Solos and a set of Platinum Audio Studio 3 floorstanders. Hooked.

GLWS, PAPPA3.

Offline PAPPA3

• Commercial Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 09:58:46 PM »
Thanks grammas.  A quick calculation puts the cost of the set at R41808,00 in today's terms.  What that at least says is that this is high end.  You can certainly see that the makers didn't take shortcuts here.   Willing to audition for serious interested parties.  I'm going to Cape Town on Wednesday, so i can wrap them securely if there is a Cape Town buyer.

Some more web hits / ads are below since they aren't too easy to find info about:

http://www.tmraudio.com/product/platinum-solo-speakers-maple-pristine-condition-with-matching-stands-need-more-info
http://www.ukaudiomart.com/details/649098009-platinum_audio_solo_real_minters_here_with_spare_woofer_pair/

Offline dcc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 12:41:02 PM »
Last night I was staring at the last photo and could not make out what I was seeing...I was thinking the bottoms are made from laminated bamboo strips maybe?, but what about the wedge shapes...I was thinking those were a couple of small rubber shims or the like?..then I realised they were fan blades...it was late :)

Offline PAPPA3

• Commercial Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 05:02:05 PM »
Hahahahaha

yes pretty tricky pic.  The bases are also finished in a piano gloss finish

Offline Francois

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+33)
    • Audio Exchange
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 05:50:38 PM »
This was designed by Phil Jones and on the first bookshelf shootout came out in top 5 on show.

You guy have NO ide what bass these can produce, and the volumes they can achieve. No wonder like the SF Extremas the xOver lives in a heatsink.

For a mere $14000 this can be yours

http://www.aadsound.com/products/?id=38
I was born analog, not digit by digit....

Offline PAPPA3

• Commercial Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 09:43:24 PM »
R12500 for very rare speakers with truly audiophile technology from head to toe.  Including bespoke stands for the price just in case someone missed it  :O0:

Offline Scrat

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Real men don't drink pink drinks, Dave....
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 10:43:37 PM »
Condition of the cabinets?
It's not the size of the sub, it's where you place it.

Offline PAPPA3

• Commercial Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 07:57:27 AM »
Condition of the cabinets?

I would say 8/10

Offline PAPPA3

• Commercial Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 08:49:58 AM »
Sorry all, I'm withdrawing the sale until I find suitable replacements.  I just like them too much, and there was interest but no firm takers.  Their strengths to me:

Wide three dimensional soundstage, little cabinet colouration
Nice airy high
Nice 'snap' to snare drums, guitar strings and the like
Good differentiation of bass notes, note just monotone boom

There are speakers out there which will beat them in individual areas, but these are great all rounders which suite my ears.  I won't be able to replace them, stands and speakers for R12,5k so I've decided to keep them for now.  Otherwise it will be one of those pieces of kit that I will regret having sold

Offline PAPPA3

• Commercial Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 06:52:40 PM »
Found very good replacements in the Boston E70's.  Not quite as good for stereo, but a good stereo/movie speaker, so these are definitely up for sale. Still a firm R12,5k for the speakers and dedicated stands

Offline PAPPA3

• Commercial Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 09:46:34 AM »
SOLD