Author Topic: Punk's Not Dead  (Read 1506 times)

Offline fredeb

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
Re: Punk's Not Dead
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 09:58:19 PM »
Still have my Big Black stuff (admittedly the rich man's 8 track and the hammer party on vinyl), as a student at the time, Rapeman were 'banned' so I never bought the stuff as I hadn't heard it.  Have the first 2 Shellac 7" singles, original LP of 'At Action Park' and then a few albums on iTunes aftet I left record buying territories.  Forgot to suggest Therapy! Earlier (just the first few mini albums and first LP, then they got boring).  And if you can find it, Beatnigs - Television (Drug of the Nation) later revisited by Michael Franti and Rono Tse as 'Disposable Heroes of Hipopricy' in a jazzier version.

Swans as well.  I had a bit of an obsession with them so I have everything on signed vinyl just about and all the later stuff on CD (post reformation)

Cool ! Listening to Beatnigs - Television now on youtube , reminds me of a supercool Bodycount . Disposable Heroes of Hypocrisy also did that album with Burroughs , didn't they ?

It's great hearing all these names again . Yes , I enjoyed the early Therapy! I used to have  'At Action Park' , but also gone now , still have ' Songs about F*****g ' ( ultimate name for a rock n roll album . Also Shellac's ' 1000 Hurts ' is good : https://youtu.be/7fXwbFxenC0

Just watched and listened to a KUKL video ' Anna ' too , great stuff .
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 10:23:51 PM by fredeb »
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 10:11:34 PM »
'Prayer to God' is awesome! Loved it since I heard it on Peel's show
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline fredeb

• AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 10:16:42 PM »
'Prayer to God' is awesome! Loved it since I heard it on Peel's show

Yeah , that's the first song that comes to mind when I think of that album .

What about The Royal Trux , Pussy Galore and The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ycPKfwLqh0&list=PLrFlAboC7OcHeu5ifkvnnEdlEqnxY_ZJ-

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline JonnyP

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 10:24:55 PM »
Royal Trux - Twin Infinities
Royal Trux - S/T (Skulls and Bones)
Pussy Galore - Historia de la Rock de
Pussy Galore - Yu Gung
Pussy Galore - not sure of title, first album
John Spencer BX- S/T White Label signed copy, no sleeve (actually someone had nicked the sleeve)
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline fredeb

• AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 10:33:01 PM »
Royal Trux - Twin Infinities
Royal Trux - S/T (Skulls and Bones)
Pussy Galore - Historia de la Rock de
Pussy Galore - Yu Gung
Pussy Galore - not sure of title, first album
John Spencer BX- S/T White Label signed copy, no sleeve (actually someone had nicked the sleeve)

Good stuff ! Are you a Sonic Youth fan ? They certainly have a punk edge . Another candidate for modern punk is The Flaming Lips , I bought their 'The Terror' recently , I found it in Somerset Mall's Musica , I almost fell on my back ! 
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline fredeb

• AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 10:43:48 PM »
Round about the year 2000 , I had a 1969 Mercedes 280SE with a radio/tape player . The only tape I had in the car the whole time had Royal Trux on both sides . Accelerator on one side and I can't remember what other on the other side . Where-ever I went I had RTX playing full-ball - I remember those days fondly , nervously watching the fuel gauge dropping . :)   
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline JonnyP

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 10:50:30 PM »
Yep Sonic Youth (particularly Bad Moon Rising, Evol, Sister and Daydream Nation), have more though...All my Flaming Lips except Clouds Taste Metallic is on CD (from Transmissions through to the Terror and the punks taking acid/Goodness egg comps).  Saw both bands back in the day a few times.  FL in a 100 limit venue was fun on the Hit to Death tour, the T-shirt disintegrated before they became media faves and as it had 'Oklahoma City' on it, people thought it had something to do with the bombings.  SY were either brilliant (small venue) or awful (festival) live.  Lee Ranaldo is genius

Offline fredeb

• AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2016, 11:02:25 PM »
Amazing ! I was never fortunate enough to see any of the foreign bands I love live - you lucky dog ! I'm gonna log off now - methinks we should keep this thread alive by posting a link to a video when the feeling grabs us . Here's a goodnight tune for you - https://youtu.be/EnEXyY9JXkw
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline BWS

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2016, 07:12:39 AM »
My punk collection is limited to:

Ramones
UK Subs
Iggy
and a few others
Whoever originally coined the word 'Lisp' and put an 'S' in it's spelling, is a Douchebag !!

Offline fredeb

• AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2016, 09:15:24 AM »
My punk collection is limited to:

Ramones
UK Subs
Iggy
and a few others

Love the Ramones - I have a multi-disk Ramones Anthology , got a bit of Iggy solo and Iggy and the Stooges on vinyl ( incl. Raw Power  :thumbs: ) and also have a double-live UK Subs on vinyl .

Iggy is a freak of note -  Iggy & The Stooges - Dirt (1970 HQ) - https://youtu.be/cF-q_JdcCD8  - loved getting naked on stage .

Good punk anthem this .

... one more - " Loose " - https://youtu.be/MSuLhxKAnWg
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:21:29 AM by fredeb »
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline fredeb

• AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline fredeb

• AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2016, 08:23:11 AM »
Pere Ubu - Debbie Harry (Blondie) - David Sanborn - Waiting for Mary - Lyrics - (a)Live 1989

https://youtu.be/x_DXJR5PV58

― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline fredeb

• AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2016, 09:38:04 PM »
The Fall - Lost In Music

https://youtu.be/GuKXYeRCUzI
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline JonnyP

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2016, 10:27:57 PM »
Aah, Mark E Smith.  Punk poet of note (and arsehole to boot), 'How I Wrote Elasticman' and 'Hit the North' are my faves, but I have at least twenty albums so it is tough....'This Nation's Saving Grace' is probably my favourite album.

Offline fredeb

• AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2016, 11:37:39 PM »
Aah, Mark E Smith.  Punk poet of note (and arsehole to boot), 'How I Wrote Elasticman' and 'Hit the North' are my faves, but I have at least twenty albums so it is tough....'This Nation's Saving Grace' is probably my favourite album.

I don't know any of those , I'll have to check them out . Bend Sinister is probably my favourite , particularly " Auto Tech Pilot "

https://youtu.be/jp6aNne7r2Q

Auto Tech Pilot

Last night I heard 3 real loud ricochets
From the police tech center at the top of my street
And then the morning after, brass band in unison
Jumping, shouting, all 3000
Meanwhile I've been broke in twice
And had a maniac at door, swearing, 12:05 AM

And I really think this computer thing is getting out of hand
And I think this tech pilot isn't going to land
Three quarters of mail destined for beer
Time to put an end, to the extend
All the bump men
Time we cake this
Compute garbage in, garbage out
And time to put a cap on this
With a brain, nice habit
And I'm thinkin of...

(Track is deserted
All securities run forth of the perverted)

Isn't gonna land
On its purgatory band
Auto tech pilot
Isn't gonna land
Jet isn't gonna land
Troll the instant pilot
Auto tech pilot
Isn't gonna land
― Friedrich Nietzsche