Author Topic: Punk's Not Dead  (Read 1489 times)

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
Punk's Not Dead
« on: December 01, 2016, 06:05:36 PM »
You may or may not have heard about Joe Corre (son of Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm McLaren) burning a load of memorabilia to 'kill punk' on the 40th Anniversary of the Sex Pistols releasing 'Anarchy in the UK'.  As always, the UK media is debating whether or not 'Punk' is or isn't dead (a multi-faceted question to say the least).  Bill Drummond (a right poseur but in the right way) has given an essay and video to the Quietus about it.

http://thequietus.com/articles/21404-bill-drummond-punk-film

Must say I tend to agree - I was never into the fashion part, was into some but not much of the music (Pistols, Clash of the 'trad' but more post-punk or even pre-punk like Pere Ubu, Television, Throbbing Gristle, SPK, Einsturzende etc) but he nails the real reason punk's not dead - d.i.y. messthetics and attitude.
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Re: Punk's Not Dead
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 08:06:05 PM »
We are further away in years from punk today than punk was away from ww2. 

"If it sounds good, it IS good."
Duke Ellington
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline BWS

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 07:03:59 AM »
Punk is dead, it was born in era with pissed off youth looking for an outlet, much like what spawned the birth of Thrash. Modern thrash bands are mostly  :puke: and the punk wanaabe's even more :cr@p: :puke:

The youth these days don't look to music to release their angst, they just tweet it or bitch on FB :moron:
Whoever originally coined the word 'Lisp' and put an 'S' in it's spelling, is a Douchebag !!

Offline fredeb

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 07:25:40 PM »
Most people haven't the faintest clue what punk is .

Iggy and the Stooges was the birth of Punk Rock . The Sex Pistols where a concept dreamt up by Malcolm McLaren after seeing the success that The Stooges where enjoying . Early Stooges concerts where played to audiences that would try and boo them off the stage , throwing beer bottles at them , Iggy would say , " OK , that's it , we're going home . " , the crowd would cheer , Iggy would answer " Just kidding " and carry on playing . Basically the word " Punk " was a derogatory term before then , used to describe someone really useless , worth nothing .     

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline JonnyP

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 07:49:24 PM »
Add to them the MC5, Electric Prunes, 13th Floor Elevators and the Seeds.  Even the Who and the Creation had that punk attitude.

Nowadays, most of the council estate drum and bass, grime, electronic extremes, even some hip-hop (RTJ for example) still have that punk thang going on.  Bedroom producers here in Durban have it, bandcamp has it.  Punk is not dead, it still doesn't ask permission!
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Online chrisc

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 07:49:53 PM »
A great pity

Offline JonnyP

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 08:06:53 PM »
A great pity

Nope, music is a great release.  People channeling their energy into music that tells their story and makes people and ultimately governments sit up abd listen is a great thing.  As an example, how much would people know about the ties that bind between Putin and the Russian Orthodox church without Pussy Riot? A darn sight less than the people who watched 'Leviathan' (admittedly a good but extremely drawn out film).

Offline fredeb

• AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 08:07:07 PM »
Add to them the MC5, Electric Prunes, 13th Floor Elevators and the Seeds.  Even the Who and the Creation had that punk attitude.

Nowadays, most of the council estate drum and bass, grime, electronic extremes, even some hip-hop (RTJ for example) still have that punk thang going on.  Bedroom producers here in Durban have it, bandcamp has it.  Punk is not dead, it still doesn't ask permission!

Yes , I definitely don't see punk as Oi! music , I consider Talking Heads , Television , Patti Smith , Husker Du , Sonic Youth , Butthole Surfers , Alien Sex Fiend , Psychic TV , The Fall , even The Love and Rockets ( and the rest you mentioned earlier and more ) to be punk .

A spirit built around a non-conformist will to your own truth without doing anyone in .

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline fredeb

• AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 08:13:38 PM »
Nope, music is a great release.  People channeling their energy into music that tells their story and makes people and ultimately governments sit up abd listen is a great thing.  As an example, how much would people know about the ties that bind between Putin and the Russian Orthodox church without Pussy Riot? A darn sight less than the people who watched 'Leviathan' (admittedly a good but extremely drawn out film).

Have you ever checked out early " Chumbawamba " ? They started out as a hardcore punk outfit , then , somewhere in the early 90's they decided that playing to punk audiences was like preaching to the converted , so they started making pop music . I had to laugh , nice sing-a-long tunes , but if you listen carefully to the lyrics they're going on about some serious  :cr@p: .
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline JonnyP

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 08:28:41 PM »
'Never Mind the Ballots' is still with me, strangely, my folks liked the 'English Rebel Songs' mini album (released after the poll tax riots) so they still have that! Also got the 'Pictures of Starving Children sell records..' somewhere, and the masterful pop collaboration that is 'Enough is Enough' with Matty from Credit to the Nation (a hip-hop band with punk attitude to the maximum).

Offline fredeb

• AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 08:30:25 PM »
Punk is dead, it was born in era with pissed off youth looking for an outlet, much like what spawned the birth of Thrash. Modern thrash bands are mostly  :puke: and the punk wanaabe's even more :cr@p: :puke:

The youth these days don't look to music to release their angst, they just tweet it or bitch on FB :moron:

I'm afraid the " Vanilla " generation is upon us , this album cover says it all , I'm not much of a Rage Against the Machine fan though , just this cover .

― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline JonnyP

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 08:38:43 PM »
Not an RATM fan although a few later songs and much of the debut were good (on Sony though FFS), Husker Du had a great run from Zen Arcade to Candy Apple Grey, other faves from the time were (and still are) Fugazi, Nation of Ulysses, Sleater Kinney, Lungfish, Shudder to Think, Unrest, Unsane, Butthole Surfers, The Make Up, Foetus, Tad, Steelpole Bathtub, Gore, Mission of Burma, Lard and Skinny Puppy to name a few

Offline fredeb

• AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 08:42:15 PM »
'Never Mind the Ballots' is still with me, strangely, my folks liked the 'English Rebel Songs' mini album (released after the poll tax riots) so they still have that! Also got the 'Pictures of Starving Children sell records..' somewhere, and the masterful pop collaboration that is 'Enough is Enough' with Matty from Credit to the Nation (a hip-hop band with punk attitude to the maximum).

Good stuff , they also did an Anti-Life-Aid album ( not sure what it's called ) slagging Bob Geldorff . You'll like this . Somewhere along the line they shout out " For every pop-star cruxified here tonight - we will donate $1 - Cliff Richard , we're gonna nail you up to the cross - TONIGHT ! "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_Aid_(band)

The idea was that every artist participating in the band aid thing had so much money that if each gave just 10% ( a thithe ) , of their worth , it would be a lot more money than what Band Aid was raising . Better red than dead right !  >:D
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline fredeb

• AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 08:46:58 PM »
Not an RATM fan although a few later songs and much of the debut were good (on Sony though FFS), Husker Du had a great run from Zen Arcade to Candy Apple Grey, other faves from the time were (and still are) Fugazi, Nation of Ulysses, Sleater Kinney, Lungfish, Shudder to Think, Unrest, Unsane, Butthole Surfers, The Make Up, Foetus, Tad, Steelpole Bathtub, Gore, Mission of Burma, Lard and Skinny Puppy to name a few

I love Lard , I guess Ministry can be considered punk too . A couple I don't recognize - gonna have to check them out . Talk of Fugazi reminds me of Steve Albini somehow , ever listen to Big Black , Rapeman or Shellac ?
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline JonnyP

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 09:40:25 PM »
Still have my Big Black stuff (admittedly the rich man's 8 track and the hammer party on vinyl), as a student at the time, Rapeman were 'banned' so I never bought the stuff as I hadn't heard it.  Have the first 2 Shellac 7" singles, original LP of 'At Action Park' and then a few albums on iTunes aftet I left record buying territories.  Forgot to suggest Therapy! Earlier (just the first few mini albums and first LP, then they got boring).  And if you can find it, Beatnigs - Television (Drug of the Nation) later revisited by Michael Franti and Rono Tse as 'Disposable Heroes of Hipopricy' in a jazzier version.

Swans as well.  I had a bit of an obsession with them so I have everything on signed vinyl just about and all the later stuff on CD (post reformation)