Author Topic: Fund raising/sponsorship suggestions  (Read 409 times)

Offline Andrew

• FLBP Aficionado
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
Fund raising/sponsorship suggestions
« on: November 10, 2016, 11:19:59 AM »
As some of you know, on weekends I indulge in my real passion, using horses to work with special needs kids. We've been going since 2007 and by large it's been a good run, although never going to get rich from it! Recently my sponsor indicated that he was ceasing his support as of end December, which has come as a bit of a blow because his money provided a much-needed buffer for things like school holidays when income drops but expenditure for stabling stays the same, or for unexpected vet bills.

I'm not asking for money from any of you, because that often just ends in tears with members out of pocket. What I'm asking instead is for suggestions on fundraisers (which I have no clue about), or contacts you know I could apply to for sponsorship. Most bigger companies I approached back when I was starting up wouldn't support me because they wouldn't get any BEE points for doing so because I'm a pale male  :facepalm:, so that's an issue that often trips me up.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Don't judge me for being quiet - no one plans a murder aloud.

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Fund raising/sponsorship suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 11:57:19 AM »
You can try the Dischem Foundation? They have always seemed very pro-active in assisting needy causes, especially for special needs kids.

Fund raisers are a PITA - unless you have a dedicated individual arranging them. They provide a once off cash injection but people seem to tire of constant fund raisers - particularly because there are such a multitude of them on an ongoing basis!

Why not approach livery yards with a view to them becoming a "sponsor yard" - add R50/R100/R200 onto their clients monthly bills & that gets paid across to you? Or to your feed supplier? That way you can generate a constant income stream.

Would you be willing to quantify the monthly amount needed?

Will throw more ideas your way as they strike!

Good luck!
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline 2wice

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 12:05:06 PM »
Try approach Afriforum/Solidarity also. They might be able to help if it's for a good cause.
Trenton Carr
Montana Park
Pretoria

Offline Andrew

• FLBP Aficionado
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 12:24:42 PM »
You can try the Dischem Foundation? They have always seemed very pro-active in assisting needy causes, especially for special needs kids.

Fund raisers are a PITA - unless you have a dedicated individual arranging them. They provide a once off cash injection but people seem to tire of constant fund raisers - particularly because there are such a multitude of them on an ongoing basis!

Why not approach livery yards with a view to them becoming a "sponsor yard" - add R50/R100/R200 onto their clients monthly bills & that gets paid across to you? Or to your feed supplier? That way you can generate a constant income stream.

Would you be willing to quantify the monthly amount needed?

Will throw more ideas your way as they strike!

Good luck!

Yup, I had the same thoughts on fund raising. Lots of hassle and short-lived. The previous sponsor was giving R3000 a month.

Thanks, I'll give Dischem a go. Also thanks for your suggestions, 2wice!

Offline Ju_dy@RT

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+17)
    • Remedytec
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 12:46:59 PM »
crowd funding sites?  like - https://www.gofundme.com/

Remedytec AV -www.remedytec.co.za/promos-news/promotions Tel:0118697755

Offline Trompie67

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 03:01:47 PM »
Yup, I had the same thoughts on fund raising. Lots of hassle and short-lived. The previous sponsor was giving R3000 a month.

Thanks, I'll give Dischem a go. Also thanks for your suggestions, 2wice!

There are a multitude of people in the horsey world who spend more than R3k a week up their nose, so I am sure we can assist in finding a benefactor.

You've got my email address - please send me your business prospectus / fund raising presentation.

I have direct access to many of the top riders, yards & breeders, as well as indirect access to a lot more of them, so let's put it out there & see what we can do to help. I'm certain that amongst those who spend R1,5 million on a horse for their child we can find someone/s to fund R3k a month! We're at Shongweni in December for SA Children & Junior Dressage Champs, so will raise the subject there & try get it onto the agenda at the awards evening as well. Crikey if people can auction "Harry the Horse" (a stuffed animal for those who don't know) for between R30k & R100k at each of the large shows to raise funds for HHCU then this should be a walk in the park!

Offline Andrew

• FLBP Aficionado
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 03:09:36 PM »
crowd funding sites?  like - https://www.gofundme.com/

Looks interesting, but seems to rely on me pestering friends and family initially, and I'd rather try avoid making them feel obligated to fund me  :-[

Offline Andrew

• FLBP Aficionado
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 03:10:30 PM »
There are a multitude of people in the horsey world who spend more than R3k a week up their nose, so I am sure we can assist in finding a benefactor.

You've got my email address - please send me your business prospectus / fund raising presentation.

I have direct access to many of the top riders, yards & breeders, as well as indirect access to a lot more of them, so let's put it out there & see what we can do to help. I'm certain that amongst those who spend R1,5 million on a horse for their child we can find someone/s to fund R3k a month! We're at Shongweni in December for SA Children & Junior Dressage Champs, so will raise the subject there & try get it onto the agenda at the awards evening as well. Crikey if people can auction "Harry the Horse" (a stuffed animal for those who don't know) for between R30k & R100k at each of the large shows to raise funds for HHCU then this should be a walk in the park!

Thanks, much obliged for the offer. Will get cracking on it.

Offline BWS

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 03:19:32 PM »
Raising awareness is key, if your establishment has enough of it, the fund raising should be easier. Don't you have contacts in electronic media? Radio stations etc?

KFM have a 'Christmas wish' drive each year, I'm sure its sister station up in Jozi must have the same/similar? Usually its for individuals but I'm sure if you get the word out companies might start approaching you. Funding charities and social responsibilities are big with big business, it's a tax write-off as well (cynical, I know but it is an opportunity)
Whoever originally coined the word 'Lisp' and put an 'S' in it's spelling, is a Douchebag !!

Offline Trompie67

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 03:41:15 PM »
Raising awareness is key, if your establishment has enough of it, the fund raising should be easier. Don't you have contacts in electronic media? Radio stations etc?

KFM have a 'Christmas wish' drive each year, I'm sure its sister station up in Jozi must have the same/similar? Usually its for individuals but I'm sure if you get the word out companies might start approaching you. Funding charities and social responsibilities are big with big business, it's a tax write-off as well (cynical, I know but it is an opportunity)

Brilliant idea! 94.7 have the "Christmas Wish" & I think Jacaranda does something similar as well!

Offline BWS

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 03:48:27 PM »
I know the folks that run with the social outreach programs where I work, I'll bounce the idea off them when I see them again.
Whoever originally coined the word 'Lisp' and put an 'S' in it's spelling, is a Douchebag !!

Offline Ju_dy@RT

• Commercial Member
    • Remedytec
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 04:24:56 PM »
Brilliant idea! 94.7 have the "Christmas Wish" & I think Jacaranda does something similar as well!

Shall we make that a group effort? WE ALL send individual letters?  :clap: :clap: :clap:

PS: I've also sent feelers out to another "horsy friend" in the north who has a few corporate connections.... absolutely no promises but who knows.  :thumbs:

You go TROMPIE67!!! .. holding thumbs that your efforts comes through in a BIG way!
Remedytec AV -www.remedytec.co.za/promos-news/promotions Tel:0118697755

Offline Andrew

• FLBP Aficionado
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 05:30:39 PM »
Thanks all! Much appreciated! I'm switching off and hunkering down - something big seems about to hit here.

Offline kamikazi

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 09:51:59 AM »
That is quite a blow, my wife also worked for an NGO for a time who worked with children with special needs and it's incredibly tough to raise money for those initiatives and it can take a long time to get donors. It's quite tough to say but companies would rather focus their attention on education and kids that can be helped. In the end they had to employ somebody full time just to focus on fundraising as it is a continuous effort and requires lots of following up.

Some of the initiatives they've done to raise additional funds is by holding an annual fun run which raised quite a bit of money and they will have a food and wine pairing dinner function hosted by a well known local chef which so far looks like it is getting a very positive reception. Last year they did an awareness and fund raising hike, but that wasn't quite as successful. Also recently attended a fund raiser for a church one of my colleagues is a member of and was quite astounded by the amount of money they raised through a wine auction. Many people don't mind overpaying for things if it going towards a good cause. It might be worthwhile looking at something that could leverage that principle.

Good luck and don't give up!