Author Topic: Opensprinkler boards Round 2 Q & A  (Read 13086 times)

Offline mygoggie

Re: Opensprinkler boards Round 2 Q & A
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2018, 03:45:43 PM »
Excellent service! Got the board just now  :rubhands:

Quality of the PCB is very good. Just some advice. Put the instruction sheet with the PCB in a zipped plastic bag as I accidentally noticed the sheet when I threw the envelope in the recycle bin.  :roll:
Herman

~ To heal the soul is to embark on a new journey. ~

Offline mbayshark

« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2018, 05:21:06 PM »
they are done

ready for shipment.

loaded 11 units as per stock onto the website for purchasing.
Thanks tangmonster, my board was delivered this morning. Can't wait to start playing with it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2018, 08:27:43 AM »
Put the instruction sheet with the PCB in a zipped plastic bag
Make that an anti static shield zip bag. Then you address two problems in one go!
Herman

Offline tangmonster

« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2018, 08:54:43 AM »
The antistatic bag is not a bad idea. I normally put carton around for extra protection even though envelope has bubble wrap.

antistatic bag however is normally a bit stronger physically ,and can provide that little bit of extra protection. :)

Thanks

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2018, 12:18:41 PM »
hmmm, just ran into a problem ... nowhere does it state that the PCB can only fit a Pi3 ... so I now have to buy one.
Herman

Offline tangmonster

« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2018, 12:22:57 PM »
hmmm, just ran into a problem ... nowhere does it state that the PCB can only fit a Pi3 ... so I now have to buy one.

it can work with any pi

a , B ,zero ,2 and 3

any pi will work.

which pi are you trying to use?

The only ones that are a pain is the VERY old ones with no mounting holes or the 2 mounting holes that are diagonal. Those are a pain to use with any pcb , best option there is to use a ribbon cable or get creative in some other way. (glue gun?) But electrically they will work.

For the cheapest option a pi zero wireless is the simplest/cheapest option:

https://www.pishop.co.za/store/raspberry-pi-zero/raspberry-pi-zero-wireless-wh-pre-soldered-header

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 12:35:45 PM by tangmonster »

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2018, 12:57:55 PM »
Model B Rev 2 with 2 mounting holes that are diagonal. Simply does not fit any way.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 01:01:48 PM by mygoggie »
Herman

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #97 on: May 04, 2018, 01:03:49 PM »

For the cheapest option a pi zero wireless is the simplest/cheapest option:

https://www.pishop.co.za/store/raspberry-pi-zero/raspberry-pi-zero-wireless-wh-pre-soldered-header

Will look into this thanks
Herman

Offline tangmonster

« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2018, 01:08:35 PM »
I have a pi prior to that one essentially the same apart from not even having the 2 diagonal mounting holes:

fits just fine.

sturdy even without standoffs ,not fouling anywhere. obviously don't fit any of the supplied stand offs to pcb with these old pi's.

piece of plastic with some gluegun should make it even more sturdy but this one felt good.

most of the pins even on the 20 way connector i fitted isn't even used. so don't worry about pins. , just make sure to fit with pin 1 ( square pin) on both PI and PCB alligned. having those out of alignment (offset pins to the left or right or top or bottom) will possibly create smoke.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 01:15:51 PM by tangmonster »

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #99 on: May 04, 2018, 01:21:51 PM »
best option there is to use a ribbon cable

Which pins on the header must be connected between the two boards? I am trying to determine the correct ribbon cable header pin numbers (ie width of the header).
Herman

Offline tangmonster

« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2018, 01:38:53 PM »
Which pins on the header must be connected between the two boards? I am trying to determine the correct ribbon cable header pin numbers (ie width of the header).

In my previous post with photo. I couldn't remember how well it fit and have tested it just now with older pi.
It is much easier and less hassle to just fit it and gluing in a standoff. The chance of plugging in the ribbon cable wrong way round is high. and something extra to purchase. and that leaves you with a loose dangling item to mount.

First 9 pins on row with pin 1
first 5 pins on row with pin 2

simply put , 9 pins on both rows:

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2018, 02:58:22 PM »
OK, I soldered two rows of 13 header pins into the empty P5 connector holes on the PCB. Using a parallel port 13 pin ribbon cable. Will figure the reversal prevention out later. Maybe block some holes. Will see.

Will post pics later.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 03:05:20 PM by mygoggie »
Herman

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2018, 03:03:13 PM »
To solve the too short standoff connectors just include 4 off 3.2mm ID fibre washers in the kit. Will prevent bending of the RPi PCB and over tightening of the screws.

Refer https://za.rs-online.com/web/p/sealing-washers/0526350/
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 03:06:35 PM by mygoggie »
Herman

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2018, 03:17:35 PM »
I desoldered the unused header pins 12 and 14 on the PCB and blanked that corresponding holes off in the header socket. Now the cable cannot be reversed.
Herman

Offline tangmonster

« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2018, 12:49:46 PM »
Hi All

The website where i was hosting the boards for sale is down and has been down since end of last week.

the people hosting it is not responding to any of my emails and phone calls go unanswered.

long story short:

I will have to do orders on PM so please contact me , I have about 6 boards left if you want a board.