Author Topic: Opensprinkler boards Round 2 Q & A  (Read 17075 times)

Offline mygoggie

Re: Opensprinkler boards Round 2 Q & A
« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2019, 01:00:05 PM »

@Mars67 how did you fit the Raspberry Zero as the cap on the sprinkler board is in the way ... did you use header extensions between the two boards or what?
Herman

~ To heal the soul is to embark on a new journey. ~

Offline Mars67

« Reply #136 on: November 19, 2019, 09:36:33 AM »
Yes the sprinkler board I received had the header supplied with so I used it. Jsut check if the stand-offs are the right length as the ones I received were a little short so I needed to space them with washers.

Offline Mars67

« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2019, 09:46:35 AM »
A new sd card seems to have did the trick.
Ill have to get some new sd cards to keep in the draw as backups, that was my last one.
Will also look into getting some backup power to the pi so I dont lose so many cards

Looks like I may have the same issue not. Also a power spike.

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2019, 05:05:40 PM »
Yes the sprinkler board I received had the header supplied with so I used it. Jsut check if the stand-offs are the right length as the ones I received were a little short so I needed to space them with washers.

OK, I thought so. The other option I have is to remove the cap and install another on that is shorter or laying on its side. Let me first try with a header extender.
Herman

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2019, 06:55:19 AM »
Looks like I may have the same issue not. Also a power spike.

Normally a RPI is extremely demanding on  a SD card due to the many writes it does to the card. For that reason I only use industrial grade SD cards in the RPI. Seconly I create a RAM drive and move all /var/ files to the RAM drive.
Herman

Offline rodga

« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2019, 07:12:37 AM »
Normally a RPI is extremely demanding on  a SD card due to the many writes it does to the card. For that reason I only use industrial grade SD cards in the RPI. Seconly I create a RAM drive and move all /var/ files to the RAM drive.
link to industrial grade cards please

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2019, 07:39:35 AM »
link to industrial grade cards please

This is the best value for money I use at the moment. There are other more robust cards on Farnell, but at 5x the price for a single card vs 5 cards of this. I make a disk image and if and when the card dies, I just write a new SD card.

https://www.pishop.co.za/store/sd-cards_0/sandisk-industrial-micro-sd-16gb-c10
Herman

Offline rodga

« Reply #142 on: November 20, 2019, 08:12:27 AM »
thanks

Offline mygoggie

« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2019, 09:22:30 AM »
I have finally assembled my controller with a Pi Zero to fit onto a DIN rail. You can read more about my endeavors with it here.

Herman