Author Topic: Windows crash after antimalwarebytes update  (Read 257 times)

Offline jvr

Windows crash after antimalwarebytes update
« on: March 03, 2019, 05:24:28 PM »
I got a pop-up to inform me there was a new free version available. After I upgraded it, it scanned my pc. My Windows antivirus got disabled somewhere along the line. I tried to activate it and got error messages. I then updated the antivirus and decided to do a restart. My Windows did not want to open. Having tried a few times, even via Ubuntu where I got an onscreen message to inform me that Windows cannot start without its start-up disc. Oh no, this is bad!
Lend me your ears

Offline jvr

Re: Windows crash after antimalwarebytes update
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 12:56:12 PM »
It has been a while so I actually forgot how windows-crash-angst feels like...it's nasty. So I ended up having to reset Windows and the PC is still busy updating apps and the likes. Stored files should all be in tact, I hope.

Apparently this is a known problem that can occur. New Windows update and Malwarebytes... 
Lend me your ears

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 01:26:16 PM »
You should give Linux a try, say Mint or some desktop oriented distro. Install Libre Office and Chromium and you’re sorted.  There’s a good Linux equivalent for most Windows based apps to the extent that I find Windows for troublesome to use than my Arch Linux LXDE based desktop.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline jvr

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 02:50:45 PM »
 Thank you, RJ, next time I will try that out.
Lend me your ears

Offline Katji

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 03:31:57 PM »
I tried it last night when I saw this...started Malwarebytes and it started downloading...connection was too slow, so I closed it, instead of sitting there staring at it. But quick google showed reports of it since January last year, so I figured out it must be ok with Windows 8.1, I've had a few updates since then.

Offline jvr

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 10:33:14 AM »
^ I suppose it's safe with the older Windows. I was referring to Windows 10 and the risk of updating (and/or running) it together with Malwarebytes.
Lend me your ears

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 11:50:16 AM »
I have just updated three PCs running Win10 (latest version) and Malwarebytes. No problems encountered.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Katji

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 01:05:09 PM »
I have just updated three PCs running Win10 (latest version) and Malwarebytes. No problems encountered.
Might be something to do with Windows Defender setup, that it doesn't happen to everyone, every time. Google results show you quickly, it's been happening since at least January 2018.

......There is some place that sells Windows 8.1, all versions...this reminds me to get my arse in gear, protect myself from Windows 10 for a few more years. Worst ever, pointless/useless "upgrade." Spyware Deluxe.

Offline Merlin-HD

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 02:31:05 PM »
You should give Linux a try, say Mint or some desktop oriented distro. Install Libre Office and Chromium and you’re sorted.  There’s a good Linux equivalent for most Windows based apps to the extent that I find Windows for troublesome to use than my Arch Linux LXDE based desktop.

WINDOWS 10 IS A VIRUS with SPYWARE BUILT-IN... I second that and had used many Linux Distro's and Arc or the Flavours of Manjaro is excellent..

Head over to Distrowatch dot com and see the rankings of all the distros .. Keep you Windows 10  / 7 PC for Games on steam or whoever you use and oflline as much as possible and use Clonezilla or Marium Reflect to make Image backups to external hdd once you set Windows 10 Up and activated online.. so if something hits the fan you can restore quickly .. and also backup your games through steam to external hdd.  :2thumbs: